Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance- Shop around

Options
  • 13-11-2009 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I got a quote for my renewal for 413 euro fully comp- not bad but I decided that Id shop around and got a quote for the same benefits for 301 euro cheaper. I then rang my original company and told them- Result - they offered me a discount of 96 euro so it pays to shop around. My insurance is now 317 euro. Love it.
    Then I got a quote for my pet insurance. Two big special breed dogs. Quote was 527 last yr and went up to 840 this year as I had a claim of 269 euro. So they are charging me 231 euro extra this year . Again i shopped around. I now have my insurance for 450 euro- thats 390 euro less. Alltogether i have nearly 500 euro in my pocket that I wouldnt have had. It pays to shop around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Very true, taken from my own search for cheaper insurance thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055732892&page=2

"Well its been a busy day of phonecalls. Here is my progress, keeping in mind the original quote was €954.

Allianz - 768 comp, 793 third party fire theft (TPFT)

Hibernian - 891 TPFT

My current crowd (Axa Broker) - agreed to drop the price to €915 after I sent them a nicely worded letter.

McCarthys Fermoy (Hibernian Broker) - €1093 TPFT (!)

Tesco - €1,003 (par for the course really)

Eagle Star - wouldn't quote even though I had 2 years no claims

Britton Insurance - 973.48 TPFT

FBD - 1,170 TPFT (!)

Quinn Direct - 633 TPFT with possible 5% more off if I do it online (so about €600)

123.ie - 698 TPFT

Two clear winners here. Quinn direct being cheaper offer: free breakdown cover, 24hr claims help line (woop di doo , audio equipment cover (nothing of value really), loss of keys including replacement of locks (handy since I only have one key and told if lost that's the end of it)

123.ie is more expensive but includes:
    Step Back No Claims Bonus (so if you claim instead of losing entire bonus you lose two years the first time.)
    * Fire Brigade Charge - €1500
    * Driving Other Cars Extension (No good to me for 6 months but still)
    * Replacement Locks (if lost key etc.)
    * 24 Hr Breakdown Assist, 365 Days
    * Permanently Fitted Radio/Audio (meh)
    * New Car Replacement
    * European Cover Free up to 30 Days

So its a toss up between the two. Even the more expensive is saving me a total of €256 on the original quote and the better quote about €350. Some truly ludicrous quotes there. A few of the people I was taking to sensed I wasn't going with them and asked what the difference was in other quotes I got. When I said in one case about €400 there was silence on the phone and then she laughed and she said "Ohh, that's very good isn't it!" I would not like her working for me!

Since I don't have a landline I went to one of those fone internet cafes to make the calls. Most of the numbers were premiun 1850/1890 ones. A handy website I found that lists the normal landlines numbers for these companies can be found at http://www.saynoto1890.com. Total costs of an hour on phone and about 8 lengthily calls? €2.30 thanks to the normal numbers All except for Tesco of course who the site operator states removed this landline number as they were losing too many people from their premium rate line."

Advertisement