Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life lessons/advice

• 13-11-2009 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

Any advice people have here and are willing to share?

I'm trying to think of some things I've learned which may be helpful to others.

Treat people with the same respect they show you. Used to always do my best to please people (who didn't deserve my time) in the hope they would behave differently towards me. Just made them think I was a pushover. Was in my mid to late teens before I realised that valuable piece of information.

I will remember more tomorrow, mucho tired right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Allways give people the benfit of the dout.

listen to your elders there older and more experenced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Common sense, unfortunately, isn't as common as it would seem, but a handy trait to have.

Learn the difference between confidence and arrogance. If you think you're being confident, chances are you're being arrogant. If you're comfortable, you're doing well.

Learn how to tell someone to f*ck off in various methods, from nice and polite to a genuine, from the heart "F*ck Off.". It's an invaluable trait.

Know what *you* want to do. Do that, if someone wants to go against it, the point above me comes into play - It's up to you how you deliver it.

Fajitas! wrote: »

Learn how to tell someone to f*ck off in various methods, from nice and polite to a genuine, from the heart "F*ck Off.". It's an invaluable trait.

I like this something hing every one should be able to do :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's not an easy one to do tbh. I can say myself, I'm conditioned to be nice. Sometimes that just dosn't work. The two magic words do work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Be kind and good to your parents now. No matter your differences you will miss them when they are gone, and, in all likelyhood they will be gone long before your time is up.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    It's not an easy one to do tbh. I can say myself, I'm conditioned to be nice. Sometimes that just dosn't work. The two magic words do work.

Oh no dout when i was younger a close as 2 years a go i would never of had the bottel to say that and people tuck advanatge of me in ways i still can't beleave.

Now a days if i get the hint of people begining to take the piss i get pretty blunt....Its something you've got to learn how to do. Even if i do have a hard time I use the past to fuel the asertivnes that i need.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Don't assume just because you think or react a certain way for certain reasons, that others will think or react the same way for the same reasons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If you find yourself losing the plot with someone, stop for a minute and put yourself in their shoes. If you look at the problem from this angle, you should be able to picture how things work, and if the blame rests elsewhere, then lay off the person you are dealing with. If they are at fault, then calm down, and only then proceed with trying to resolve things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Recognise your faults, don't knock yourself we all have them, just recognise them and how work on them.

One thing my uncle said to me years ago, think it's from Shakespear "To thine own self be true", it didn't head it at the time, but slowly learning it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Give people the benefit of the doubt first time round.

Don't know if it'd be advice, but even men cry too.

And lastly came from a book I'm reading at the moment, if you fail don't give up, learn from it and try again. (the example given was succesfull entreprueners)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

H.A.L.T.

hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Stop what you are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

H.A.L.T.

hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Stop what you are doing.

Just had a mini epiphany there. Great advice, metro. I'll be remembering that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The only things you will regret when it gets to the end are the things you didn't do.

Watch for the signals, take the risk with whatever girl (or guy) and just go with it. Could be your best decision.

Life is totally worth living, but for fun nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Enjoy as much time as you can with your loved ones and dont take life or your health for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

What a great thread!

My 2c: you are the only person in the world that can make you happy. Other people/family are wonderful and they should be cherished, but you can't blame anyone else for your moods/failings etc. You alone have the power to be whatever you want to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

You will never move forwards going backwards.

Keep doing what youve done and you'll keep getting what you got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

God gave us two ear's and one mouth so we could listen twice as much as we speak.

And although this one sounds cheesy, people who know me will tell you that its something I live by..

It's better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a butterfly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Buy low sell high :cool:

Remember how naive and inexperienced you thought you where 10 years ago. Well in another 10 years you are going to think the exact same thing about who you are now. Listen to the person you will be in the future and accept that regardless of how much you know now, and how experienced you think you are, you've still got a lot to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Don't live in the shadow of someone else's dream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Everything in moderation - including moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Learn to love yourself because otherwise you will not be able to let someone else love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Nice thread! I'm liking all these pearls of wisdom :)

- Do things for you : Love yourself, motivate yourself. Don't look to others to provide these things for you. It begins with an effort on your part.

- "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Treat other people well, like you would want to be treated yourself. If you see someone in trouble, help them - you never know when you might be in the same situation yourself.

- Don't assume you're better than anyone else - or that anyone else is better than you.

- If you make a mistake, own up. Don't blame someone else. Be honest and truthful with yourself.

- Never be too proud to too embarrassed to ask someone for help and advice.

- Never take things for granted ; your sight, your hearing, your health, the love of people around you etc. Remember and be thankful that you are more fortunate than others, in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Say sorry, it's one of the hardest things to say, but having just recieved it from the most unexpected source I have to say that it really is a worth saying sometimes.

Think someone else already said it, but step back and imagine how the other person feels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Probably been said before.
    Being nice and going out of way to help and cover for other people will not make them like you. And now they don't even respect you as you were a push-over. Do you do this for others at work? Or even outside work like a neighbour?

Learn to say NO!

Help anyone of course but if you do it more then once for no thanks then why bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

No matter how crap life is at the moment, there is always some poor fecker out there worse off than you, your problems probably pale in comparison. Conversely when things are going good, be pretty sure they're going 100 times better for some other lucky person somewhere. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

When someone's time is up don't let fear stand in the way of saying goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

1: Never laugh at anyones dreams. Those who don'have dreams, don't have much.

2: A man I greatly admire called Sam L once told me, Dropping a positive stone in the water creates positive ripples.

I've always lived every day of my life by this.

Good moods are infectious. If you're in a good mood, make it show. Smile, be polite, think positivly, say positive things... ...your good mood passes onto the people around you, and in turn puts you in a greater mood. Honestly NOTHING gives me greater pleasure then knowing I made someone smile. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

deadhead13 wrote: »

Brilliant. "Sometimes your ahead, sometimes your behind. The race is long and in the end its against yourself"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Will wrote: »
    No matter how crap life is at the moment, there is always some poor fecker out there worse off than you, your problems probably pale in comparison. Conversely when things are going good, be pretty sure they're going 100 times better for some other lucky person somewhere. :)

Will, does this help you when things are crap? It sure as hell doesn't help me:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

CoachBoone wrote: »
    Will, does this help you when things are crap? It sure as hell doesn't help me:pac:

But at least you have the intellect to recognise it which puts you ahead of someone who doesnt:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Will wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

*sings along*

was told by a guy once "you should always have two of everything in case the first one breaks" dunno if it's any good but has it's merits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Like a back up wife? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I have to say OP, thank you for this thread. Reading through here has certainly perked me up a lickle :)

The following has never led me wrong:
    Always, always be true to yourself. No matter how difficult a decision may be to take, don't throw your morals or lose your sense of worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Don't sweat the petty things.

And don't pet the sweaty things.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Soul Cake Duck

I really like this...

"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity. The only difference is one of degree. A man who sees a gourd and takes it for his wife is called insane because this happens to very few people."

And also

Et si omnes ego non - which translated means 'even if all, not I'..in other words make up your own mind.

And in line with seeing someone in trouble and helping...there is this quote which i like; "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Never argue with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Thanx MON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭maherro

Em I dont have much to say except maybe manners? I find if you're polite and pleasant to people they're generally nice back to you.

• Advertisement

Keep in the black and out of the red - ye get nothing in this game for 2 in a bed

It may not seem obvious but this has been invaluable to me.

Do not underestimate our capacity for mimicry.

So for example, if I received a nasty email, which I have often, I would often respond in kind, just automatically mimicing the tone completely unaware. I did this on the phone too. If someone was cold, Id go cold too, when it would have been far more effective to go warm.

Its the same in sport, communication, everything. Just something to be aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I remember I was going through a tough time a few years back, having a lot of arguments with people because I felt they were not allowing me to be me. I was talking to my second eldest brother who lives in Australia one day and he said to me "Listen, don't give a **** about the remarks other people make or what they say, just let you be you. You're the only one who knows what it feels like to walk in your own shoes." I had to put the man down to gather myself because his words hit me so hard. To this day it's the best advice I've ever received.

you can only lose your sanity once - so when it does go its one less thing to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann c.1920

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭crank_1975

It doesn't matter where you get your appetite as long as you have your dinner at home....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

But trust me on the sunscreen.....

Great thread folks, a nice little insight into everyones mindset.

My Dad gave is always great for real down to earth, no bullsh!t advice. Here was his latest offering:

-Don't look for a job; look for a customer (get qualified to provide a service as quick as you can - life is short)
    -Get competent at golf, it can be a passport in a profession
    -Buy a fishing rod - its your only chance to get away from everyone.

My own humble offering would be to beware and abide by karma. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around. As a priest once said 'don't be angry with a person, the man upstairs will look after them' and while I'm not really religious it does give you inner peace of mind.

Did anyone else read those little Irish seanfhocails on packets of Siúcra?

I remember reading this one as a kid and it's always stuck with me, and it's one I follow even to this day.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad (A friend's eye is a good mirror.)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

Don't compare youself to anyone, no matter where you go or what you do there will always be somebody who's better than you and someone else who's worse.
    Don't rely entirely on anybody else - always have a plan B that you don't need any help with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

This thread is brilliant. It's pretty useful to me now as I'm going through some weird transitional stuff in my life atm.

I s'pose I'm only twenty but if I've learned anything recently it's that your parents are always right (well, 99.9 % of the time anyway.) What's that saying by Mark Twain... "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.":D

Very true!

Also, your real friends will always have your best interests at heart. Sometimes they will notice things that you don't because you may be too wrapped up in a particular sitiuation. Listen to what they say now, you'll probably find they were right all along, you just didn't realise it at the time.

Most importantly, while you can respect the opinions of others, ultimately you have to do what makes you happy. There's no point being miserable just to make somebody else happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement