Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Citizenship Entitlement advice

Options
  • 13-11-2009 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

my husband's father and grandfather were US Citizens. My husband or any of his ciblings have never claimed their citizenship. Now our eldest child is 17 and we are wondering if our children would be entitled to citizenship, even though their Dad has not claimed it and their Grandad is dead. How does somebody apply for same? Anyone with any experience? advice most welcome.... Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

From my understanding your husbands father would have to claim citizenship first through his father but it depends on a few different things like how long did he stay in the US, birth certificate etc, then your husband based on your father and then finally your 17 year old but it would take a long time. Try www.uscis.gov for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I don't think so; my dad's family left America and while he could claim citizenship, I'd be unable to get it off him unless he moved to the States for a few years or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stonelady

thanx guys for the help.... i'm gonna try you link to website..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

OP, hope you don't mind if I ask this to anyone who can help:

My dad was a U.S citizen (born in Ireland, lived in U.S). He recently died and I was wondering if I would be eligible for a U.S passport. I have his U.S passport in my possession.

My brother said that if you're over 21 you can apply but that its a couple of years to wait.

Anyone know what he's talking about?

I checked the u.s embassy website but didn't see anything similar to my situation.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

macy9 wrote: »
    OP, hope you don't mind if I ask this to anyone who can help:

My dad was a U.S citizen (born in Ireland, lived in U.S). He recently died and I was wondering if I would be eligible for a U.S passport. I have his U.S passport in my possession.

My brother said that if you're over 21 you can apply but that its a couple of years to wait.

Anyone know what he's talking about?

I checked the u.s embassy website but didn't see anything similar to my situation.
    Thanks

Hi Macy9,

I'm in something of a similar situation to you. My Dad has a US Passport all his life and his Mother held one also. Two of my sisters are living in the States for quite a while and both have Irish passports. I'm well over 21 now but am interested in applying for a US Passport now. Is it too late? Will this be possible? Someone has told me that I should have applied for one before I turned 18 added to this also my Dad is considering getting an Irish passport now because he has spent most of his life here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Were your parents married when you were born?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I have a question regarding U.S. citizenship.

My great grandfather was American and he came and settled in Ireland.

Am I entitled to American citizenship because of this or would it have any sway in the matter if I applied?

Sorry OP.

Were your parents married when you were born?

Yes they were married. Does that make a difference? Also is it possible for my son to look for a US Passport on the strength of his grandfather being an American citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I can't see any W&J connection, so am moving this to the USA forum. Hope it's ok with the mods there ... (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Sindri wrote: »
    I have a question regarding U.S. citizenship.

My great grandfather was American and he came and settled in Ireland.
    Am I entitled to American citizenship because of this or would it have any sway in the matter if I applied?

Sorry OP.

No entitlement to anything, sorry. If born abroad, you must have a US parent to possibly get citizenship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Hi Macy9,

I'm in something of a similar situation to you. My Dad has a US Passport all his life and his Mother held one also. Two of my sisters are living in the States for quite a while and both have Irish passports. I'm well over 21 now but am interested in applying for a US Passport now. Is it too late? Will this be possible? Someone has told me that I should have applied for one before I turned 18 added to this also my Dad is considering getting an Irish passport now because he has spent most of his life here.

How much time did your dad spend in the USA, and how old are you? There is a "physical presence" requirement for a US citizen to pass on their citizenship- how much depends on when you were born, as the law changed a couple of times. More info here: http://dublin.usembassy.gov/first-time-over18.html

Your son will not be entitled to citizenship, but if you get it and move to the USA, you can petition him for a visa

Thanks Silja for the advice, going to fall short with the 'physical presence', pity he didn't apply when we were born as it appears it would have been a formality then. Oh well, Ireland is proving a harder place than I thought to escape from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

It all makes you realize how important it is to claim your citizenship if you are entitled to it. My US wife and I will without a doubt be sure to get our children both the irish and US passports they will be entitled to

Advertisement