Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help for PGDE application!

Options
  • 13-11-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I graduated last year and received my primary degree. I decided to do a Masters as it would help my gain more points on the PGDE form. However, I've read that you must have your masters or whatever other qualification before 1st December if you are applying. So, I wont be actually graduating till the 11th December, but I will have my results since the 19th November. Can I still put down that I have an M.A. on the form because I'll have my results, I just wont have graduated. I know I'll have to provide evidence of my results, but do I have to have graduated with my Masters degree for it to be considered an extra qualification on the form??

Thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Best to ask this of the PAC directly but my strong instinct would be that you cannot use a 'qualification' when you have not graduated as results alone are not a guarantee of actual graduation. Graduation could be subsequently blocked for other reasons e.g. fees etc.

And also the PAC might have no real surefire way of knowing from your results transcript that the Master's is actually completed rather than just year one of a two-year course.

To make matters worse the deadline is 8th December this year, so you'll miss out by just three days if my guess is correct. But you should ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭D.Mar

If you're missing out by three days that would be really annoying. Could you contact your college and explain the situation, see if they will let you join one of the groups that are graduating earlier? I'm not sure if they would let you, but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Can you apply through late applications? The closing date for that is early January although the application fee is probably higher.

I rang the Postgrad Applications Centre today, they said it's ok if you haven't graduated yet, you just need something from the university to state you will be graduating. Check it yourself to be sure, but thats what they told me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Molly22

thanks for letting me know DaisyPem. It's be annoying if I couldnt do it this year, I really dont want to put it off for another year, esp if I'm only missing the deadline by a few days. i'll ring them just to double check but thanks everyone for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

pathway33 wrote: »
    Can you apply through late applications? The closing date for that is early January although the application fee is probably higher.

The late applications makes no difference to qualification sor teaching experience because they accept only stuff that has taken place before the original application date anyway. The late application is of benefit only if you are late getting your act together.

Hopefully though from what the PAC has said on the phone common sense is going to enjoy a rare victory over red tape on this occasion.

Just so you know, the deadline isn't 8th December for the application, it is still 1st December. The 8th December is the deadline to have all supporting documents in (proof of results, teaching hours etc.). Just letting you know in case above posts were confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Zuri

Hi guys, I am also applying for the hdip for 2010. Does anyone know how many points are awarded for the ACA accounting qualification,I've seen that you can get additional points for having a masters,postgrads etc in addition to your basic degree points but I'm not sure if the accounting qual falls under any of these?..just thought someone might know?..thanks

Advertisement