Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outright pistol refusal

Options
  • 13-11-2009 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

What in the name of god is going on.Got a refusal for my pistol, which i have licensed for nearly five years,in the door yesterday.And no it's not a kind of request for further info, it states refusal.I have read the other threads and I had submitted a similar explanation letter with my application.
    I haven't even been offered the option of a .22 pistol.Feeling pretty mad at the moment.I never spoke bad of the gardai, but if you could hear my sentiments now.It's wrong what they are doing.They are the criminals now forcing ordinary hardworking people to go to court to fight for their property.No way am i going to give up without a fight and i am not going to keep it quiet either.I would like to go so far as to suggest that a tempoary sub forum be created to deal specifically with this issue.
    With about 1800 pistol licenses in the country under threat we need to act now and support eachother otherwise where will it stop.They won't be happy untill we are left with a sling-shot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sorry for your troubles BUT

www.elderberryshire

where have you been hiding ?

Sub Forum ? search the recent threads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

BrowningHP wrote: »
    What in the name of god is going on.Got a refusal for my pistol, which i have licensed for nearly five years,in the door yesterday.And no it's not a kind of request for further info, it states refusal.I have read the other threads and I had submitted a similar explanation letter with my application.
    I haven't even been offered the option of a .22 pistol.Feeling pretty mad at the moment.I never spoke bad of the gardai, but if you could hear my sentiments now.It's wrong what they are doing.They are the criminals now forcing ordinary hardworking people to go to court to fight for their property.No way am i going to give up without a fight and i am not going to keep it quiet either.I would like to go so far as to suggest that a tempoary sub forum be created to deal specifically with this issue.
    With about 1800 pistol licenses in the country under threat we need to act now and support eachother otherwise where will it stop.They won't be happy untill we are left with a sling-shot.

Good first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Please pass the relevant information on to the NASRPC.

You can get details at www.nasrpc.ie

They are collating the information with respect to refusals to C/F Pistol Licenses.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

I used to love her, I used to lover once
    A long, long time ago

There gone, all or guns are gone oh oh oh oh
    Gone, gone, gone gone

All our guns are gone
    Gone, gone, gone gone

I have fallin for another,
    You can make your way home.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Need to do a bit more editing there Kimber ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

..............Got a refusal for my pistol, which i have licensed for nearly five years,in the door yesterday.And no it's not a kind of request for further info, it states refusal................

Very sorry to hear that Browning. Are you appealing? No need for specifics.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

what county you in got a call myself looking for more info on why I need a 9mm

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

hia all, received a phone call from the cs today :eek:, not even an interview, just a call telling me he is not renewing my 9mm pistol licence:mad:, he did offer me a .22 if i wanted, but it's just not the same, will be getting the letter monday, what now? sell up north / england?, go to court? :confused:
    he did insist on calling it a WEAPON on the phone, told him it was a firearm, he wasnt impressed? told him the definition of weapon, still wasnt impressed, he was worried for public safety blah blah blah, i informed him that as a upstanding member of the community, in good standing with the garda, very safety aware etc that he need not be worried, he, again wasnt impressed, what do you have to do?, i hear that people are being granted licences around the place, if so where?

medicman wrote: »
    what do you have to do?, i hear that people are being granted licences around the place, if so where?
    I'm sorry to hear that, I assume you'll be appealing.

What part of the country are you in medicman? County will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

people republic of CORK, bandon, fermoy cs both blanket ban on 9's, i'll appeal, but is there a point?, the same letter is sent to everyone with a 9mm pistol, i'll appeal but i dont think it will make any difference.

• Advertisement

hia all, received a phone call from the cs today :eek:, not even an interview, just a call telling me he is not renewing my 9mm pistol licence:mad:,.........

Sorry to hear.
    .......... he was worried for public safety ...........

Can someone with a legal mind please tell how the Gardai can get away with implying that as a pistol holder we would be a danger to public safety. Don't give me anything along the lines of "well, he didn't actually say that straight out.........." In every letter, refusal, phone call, the predominant feature throughout is this "safety to the public b******t. (thank you Charlton) In any language this is slander, tarnishing a reputation, profiling, however you like to phrase it and with the added bonus of have no legal backing. No case of a registered, legal pistol owner going out and robbing or killing. How can this be allowed?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BrowningHP

ezridax wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that Browning. Are you appealing? No need for specifics.
    Yeah i feel i have no option but to.

Bananaman wrote: »
    Please pass the relevant information on to the NASRPC.

You can get details at www.nasrpc.ie

They are collating the information with respect to refusals to C/F Pistol Licenses.

B'Man
    First thing I did

people republic of CORK, bandon, fermoy cs both blanket ban on 9's, i'll appeal, but is there a point?, the same letter is sent to everyone with a 9mm pistol, i'll appeal but i dont think it will make any difference.

Of course there's a point and I'll give you three:

1. Gardai might be aping their political masters and making the buck stop somewhere else: the District Court.
    2. There's quite a bit of commentary on what's 'good reason' in relation to target shooting, so there's a good case for anyone refused on that ground.
    3, There may be a touch of weeding on the basis of "Kill them all, the Lord will know his own" about this, so if you don't go to court, you end up being a weed.

Usual boiler plate applies: I'm just giving you my opinion which is in no way to be construed as professional advice...

There's also some pretty good 'opinion' on this thread.

Can someone with a legal mind please tell how the Gardai can get away with implying that as a pistol holder we would be a danger to public safety. Don't give me anything along the lines of "well, he didn't actually say that straight out.........." In every letter, refusal, phone call, the predominant feature throughout is this "safety to the public b******t. (thank you Charlton) In any language this is slander, tarnishing a reputation, profiling, however you like to phrase it and with the added bonus of have no legal backing. No case of a registered, legal pistol owner going out and robbing or killing. How can this be allowed?
    It's taken directly from the firearms act and has been in it since the start. The Superintendent (CS if restricted) has to be satisfied that you can be permitted to possess, use and carry the firearm and ammunition without danger to the public safety or security or the peace,

It's a very broad 'catch all' clause, which has been successfully challenged in judicial review cases, on the grounds that if the Super has given you a licence for a firearm in the past, he can't refuse on those grounds because he's already satisfied himself that you won't be a danger etc.

Then Charleton came along and said the firearm has to have some bearing and we now have a Mexican standoff in the High Court heading for the Supreme Court to be sorted out.

Don't take it personally, the reason it's used is because the guy just doesn't like the yoke you've got and as there's no other reason available in the act to say "I don't like that yoke", that one always gets used. :rolleyes:

Thats it in a nutshell. I think the McCarron case is in appeal so this is a uniform response until this gets sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

surely if you have held a centrefire pistol licence for a number of years like i have , and the chief super then turns around and says you can't hold it any longer because it might be a danger to the public ,you can show to a court that this is a nonsense as you have not had any incidents in the past x years and have been using the pistol as intended and for the purpose it was granted for in the first place ?

also is his refusal a judgement on the superintendents decision to grant the licence in the first place ?

rrpc wrote: »
    Don't take it personally, the reason it's used is because the guy just doesn't like the yoke you've got and as there's no other reason available in the act to say "I don't like that yoke", that one always gets used. :rolleyes:

Half figured as much but its still insulting. As you said yourself they licensed me before so if i was a danger how could i be licensed at all. I'm sure if i went around making vague and subtle innuendos and slanderous remarks towards any minority (and we, CF pistol holders, are a minority) i would be silenced, arrested, sanctioned or punished in some way especially if my remarks had no foundations.

Half figured as much but its still insulting. As you said yourself they licensed me before so if i was a danger how could i be licensed at all. I'm sure if i went around making vague and subtle innuendos and slanderous remarks towards any minority (and we, CF pistol holders, are a minority) i would be silenced, arrested, sanctioned or punished in some way especially if my remarks had no foundations.
    It's not slander though. He's not specifically saying that you personally could be the danger, merely that he's not satisfied that there won't be a danger if he issues the licence. Subtle distinction there, plus he's legally obliged to satisfy himself that there would be no danger.

As I said above, it's a catch all and usually means he doesn't like 'your yoke' ;)

And you wouldn't be silenced unless you had an authorisation :D

There are much more reasons now with the commencement of the 2006 Act bits that were sitting around for three years. For restricted firearms there are even more:
    The conditions subject to which a firearm certificate may be granted are that, in the opinion of the issuing person, the applicant—
    (a) has a good reason for requiring the firearm in respect of which the certificate is applied for,
    (b) can be permitted to possess, use and carry the firearm and ammunition without danger to the public safety or security or the peace,
    (c) is not a person declared by this Act to be disentitled to hold a firearm certificate,
    (d) has provided secure accommodation for the firearm and ammunition at the place where it is to be kept,
    (e) where the firearm is a rifle or pistol to be used for target shooting, is a member of an authorised rifle or pistol club,
    (f) has complied with subsection (3), (You've provided all information required in the application)
    (g) complies with such other conditions (if any) specified in the firearm certificate, including any such conditions to be complied with before a specified date as the issuing person considers necessary in the interests of public safety or security, and
    (h) in case the application is for a restricted firearm certificate—
    (i) has a good and sufficient reason for requiring such a firearm, and
    (ii) has demonstrated that the firearm is the only type of weapon that is appropriate for the purpose for which it is required.

That's a lot of hoops to jump through :eek:

• Advertisement

could this also be a way of delegating the granting of licences for centrefire pistols to the courts . e.g. i didn't want to issue the pistol cert but the courts instructed me to. ?

rowa wrote: »
    could this also be a way of delegating the granting of licences for centrefire pistols to the courts . e.g. i didn't want to issue the pistol cert but the courts instructed me to. ?
    Quite possibly. There's no way of knowing at this stage because you have to remember that the Chief Superintendents have still quite a bit of time before the three months runs out and they have to make a decision or let the courts take over.

They may just be watching each other to see how their colleagues handle it, or waiting to see what comes out of the first District Court cases.

rrpc wrote: »
    They may just be watching each other to see how their colleagues handle it, or waiting to see what comes out of the first District Court cases.

I can just see it now at the next meeting.

CF1 - So how many did you grant?
    CF2 - Oh, only the 2 .........out of 50.
    CF1 - S**t, 2, i granted 4. May just refuse the rest to make up for it.
    CF3 - I'm okay lads, i refused everyone, just to be sure.
    CF4 - Yeah me too. Let the courts undo this cluster****.

also like a lot of people , my extensions are out of date as of the last day of october , if my licence is refused can i legally still possess my pistol at home until the 30 day appeal limit is over or do i have to surrender it immediately ?

I think the general consensus is once you are waiting on a license or appealing a decision you may still store the firearm at home. If all avenues fail then its a "What to do" situation. Corrections to follow.

As far as i know you retain the firearm until you lodge an appeal or give notice of an appeal pending then at this stage you must surrender it to a RFD until the matter is sorted. Of course you must lodge an appeal within 30 day of reciet of refusal.

I'm afraid not. As soon as you're refused, that's it, you must not be in possession of the firearm until you get a court to allow your appeal.

I see, I better say my goodbyes and hand it to a RFD so.frown.gif

I see, I better say my goodbyes and hand it to a RFD so.frown.gif

suppose if the worst comes to the worst you can have it deactivated and apply for permission from the super to have it , you'll get nothing for it now .

• Advertisement

rowa wrote: »
    suppose if the worst comes to the worst you can have it deactivated and apply for permission from the super to have it , you'll get nothing for it now .

I don't agree, you can sell these things on eGun.de or through dealers in Germany; Frankonia take in secondhand stuff.

Advertisement