Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outright pistol refusal

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭dave999

ezridax wrote: »
    Sorry to hear.

In every letter, refusal, phone call, the predominant feature throughout is this "safety to the public b******t. (thank you Charlton) In any language this is slander, tarnishing a reputation, profiling, however you like to phrase it and with the added bonus of have no legal backing.

E,
    I hope you mean the other Charleton!

RRPC got it right!!
    rrpc wrote: »

Then Charleton came along and said the firearm has to have some bearing and we now have a Mexican standoff in the High Court heading for the Supreme Court to be sorted out.

I have enough trouble being called 'Jack' all the time.

Good luck with your appeal.
    David :D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

dave999 wrote: »
    E,
    I hope you mean the other Charleton!

Charlton, Charleton you know the doughnut i'm talking about :). Unless Jack has taken to making court decisions????

What i wouldn't give for spellcheck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ezridax wrote: »
    Charlton, Charleton you know the doughnut i'm talking about :). Unless Jack has taken to making court decisions????

What i wouldn't give for spellcheck.
    Google Chrome does spellcheck, but only in 'US English'

Wouldn't pick up which Charl(e)ton to use though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I don't agree, you can sell these things on eGun.de or through dealers in Germany; Frankonia take in secondhand stuff.

Just dont expect Irish prices for it though.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Just dont expect Irish prices for it though.

I think these days, Irish prices are gone by the board; in everything. One positive note about this recession :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You would be surprised RR,how many people out there still think they can sell or charge Celtic tiger prices.:(

BTW have to add on selling guns on EGun or Frankonia.Expect more of a price drop,if your gun hasnt got recognised proof marks!!IOW for it to be legally resellable in Germany or within the EU from a German dealer/manufacturer it has to have been offically proof marked.This costs appx 150 Euros per gun for an individual or company to do.So you are going to be down more money if your gun was bought in the US or outside the EU zone.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

You would be surprised RR,how many people out there still think they can sell or charge Celtic tiger prices.:(

BTW have to add on selling guns on EGun or Frankonia.Expect more of a price drop,if your gun hasnt got recognised proof marks!!IOW for it to be legally resellable in Germany or within the EU from a German dealer/manufacturer it has to have been offically proof marked.This costs appx 150 Euros per gun for an individual or company to do.So you are going to be down more money if your gun was bought in the US or outside the EU zone.

which adds to my original suggestion of just having the gun deactivated , again you get it out to germany and everyone gets there cut/commission it would hardly be worth your while , how much is a browning high new ? and whats one worth now in a recession hit europe ? very little i'd say

rowa wrote: »
    which adds to my original suggestion of just having the gun deactivated , again you get it out to germany and everyone gets there cut/commission it would hardly be worth your while , how much is a browning high new ? and whats one worth now in a recession hit europe ? very little i'd say
    Not as little as you'd think

Here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wouldn't pick up which Charl(e)ton to use though :D

Was going to say it should know who is the old fart on the bench, but sure Jack is pushing on.:D
    Originally Posted by rrpc
    I don't agree, you can sell these things on eGun.de or through dealers in Germany; Frankonia take in secondhand stuff.

Was checking out my gun on a few sites and they are going between €900 and €1400 depending on where you look, condition and usage. Its only a curiosity thing, i don't intend for it to get to that point.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Expect more of a price drop,if your gun hasnt got recognised proof marks!!IOW for it to be legally resellable in Germany or within the EU from a German dealer/manufacturer it has to have been offically proof marked.This costs appx 150 Euros per gun for an individual or company to do.So you are going to be down more money if your gun was bought in the US or outside the EU zone.

There are CIP member countries outside the EU whose proof marks would be fully recognised e.g. Chile. The USA isn't a member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

BornToKill wrote: »
    There are CIP member countries outside the EU whose proof marks would be fully recognised e.g. Chile.

What about Colombia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Mr Flibble wrote: »
    What about Colombia?

I don't think so. Did you try the google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BrowningHP

Some dealers in Northern Ireland will buy your gun but at what price though.I have thought about but then again deactivation is also in the running.All as a very very last resort.
    Not looking forward to the stress a court case is going to bring with it.Solicitor choice is important here as not all are familiar with the firearms act.

BrowningHP wrote: »
    Some dealers in Northern Ireland will buy your gun but at what price though.I have thought about but then again deactivation is also in the running.All as a very very last resort.
    Not looking forward to the stress a court case is going to bring with it.Solicitor choice is important here as not all are familiar with the firearms act.

Nobody's going to be familiar with the firearms act with regard to restricted firearms and the changes to the firearms act since 1st August this year.

That includes solicitors, Judges and even Chief Superintendents :)

We're all at the starting gate (well all except me :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

BrowningHP wrote: »
    What in the name of god is going on.Got a refusal for my pistol, which i have licensed for nearly five years,in the door yesterday.And no it's not a kind of request for further info, it states refusal.I have read the other threads and I had submitted a similar explanation letter with my application.
    I haven't even been offered the option of a .22 pistol.Feeling pretty mad at the moment.I never spoke bad of the gardai, but if you could hear my sentiments now.It's wrong what they are doing.They are the criminals now forcing ordinary hardworking people to go to court to fight for their property.No way am i going to give up without a fight and i am not going to keep it quiet either.I would like to go so far as to suggest that a tempoary sub forum be created to deal specifically with this issue.
    With about 1800 pistol licenses in the country under threat we need to act now and support eachother otherwise where will it stop.They won't be happy untill we are left with a sling-shot.

Hi Browning HP,

What do you need a pistol for? Whats the end usage?

The reason I ask is thats the main question that will come up in a district court appeal, legal aids going to be 500 to 2000 euro depending on how long it will last, etc,
    the main question the Gardai will be bouncing off you is
    what target usage have you put it to over the last 5 years.

I'd say I know you Browning, if your the bloke I'm thinking of your a sound guy, but that wont make any difference. I'm not for gun control myself, but thats not how the Gardai look at it, they love taking guns off us.

Think twice before going to court, it's expensive plus the more pistol shooters that lose cases the worse it is for the rest of us, creates case law in that area.

Another option is to put the gun in storage and see what happens over the next few months.

HJ, other side of the Shannon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just to note that the district court is not a court of record and can't establish case law.

Just to note that the district court is not a court of record and can't establish case law.

Which doesn't mean that a district Judge can't take note of another Judge's decision in a similar case.

Advertisement