Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagiarism Sociology Essay

Options
  • 13-11-2009 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I just uploaded an essay to blackboard and it says matching "7%" what does this mean?I assume it's to do with plagiarism, can someone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

meathawk wrote: »
    I just uploaded an essay to blackboard and it says matching "7%" what does this mean?I assume it's to do with plagiarism, can someone help?
    Click in and read the report. It means 7% of the essay was found elsewhere. Usually it's just quotations, bibliography, cover pages, etc. Unless it's highlighting unreferenced stuff there's nothing to worry about. Some of my essays came up 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just looking at mine, I've high enough plagiarism rates(between 3-10%). All of it is from writing the title of the essay at the start, or else the titles of books in the bibliography. Just figured this out now(how to check it), and its annoying. It means I haven't plagiarised one bit, but says I have. Wouldn't worry one bit about it OP.

EDIT: 2 of mine are sociology essays too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

How do you check this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

The cut-off point suggested for staff to consider checking it in more detail is when you have reached 15% and above. Anything below that is considered due to referencing, quoting etc at an acceptable level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Ugh, my last essay was 15%.
    That being said, all my references were highlighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

How do you check this?

Where you submitted it, in Assignments under Blackboard, click View/Complete, then 'OK', then SA report. It comes up then in a pop-up window.

Advertisement