Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

road rage

• 13-11-2009 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Last weekend, I was pulling out of a petrol station and wanted to turn right onto the main road from the petrol station. It was dark and raining so visiblity was very poor. Now this main road goes through a village so speed limits apply to this section of road where I wanted to get on. I rolled down my window and slightly rolled my car on the main road to get a better view as there was a wall blocking my view of the road. I then saw a car approaching in the distance. Immediately, I reversed back off the road and out of the way I had about 7-10 secs to spare. However,when the car had passed the person driving it sounded the horn and kept it down for almost half a minute as it went by. Now, I was in the wrong that I left the car roll slightly on to the main road in the first case, and I would have no problem with that driver beeping the hell out of me if I pulled out right in front of him/her. But I had actually got my vehicle well out of the way before the car approaching went by. I couldnt see why that person reacted like that. I thought there was no need for it. I was well out of the way of danger.

Anybody have any experience(s) like that before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Yea a very similar thing happened to me about a year back. I was pulling out of my driveway onto the main road that runs by my house and due to the fact that the road widens to allow a filter lane before cutting back in just before my house it is very difficult to see traffic coming from the right as I exit. On this occasion, much like yourself, I strayed slightly onto the road and as there was a car coming in the distance i reversed back in. The guy was a fair distance away but I pulled back in just to be on the safe side. Anyway as he passed he flipped me the bird and made quite a big deal of it too. Although he could just have been pissed off because he was driving a skangered 306. I didn't lose any sleep over it anyway, there's not much you can do other than accept that there are quite a few idiots out there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Thats sounds like an excessive reaction from that driver.

Road rage is a funny oul beast, there are drivers who are only waiting for an excuse to sit on their horn. I try to take a passive approach when driving but if somebody does something stupid, dangerous and or reckless I feel they need to at least be aware!(You did not do any thing stupid, dangerous and or reckless btw !!)

For instance, I was going to work one morning down the coast road. Just after Clontarf there is a bus lane and being before 7am I was using it when out of nowhere a brand new Volkswagon Golf emerged from their driveway from a house on the right and pulled straight into the bus lane, right in front of me, at this point I would have had to brake quite heavy while the golf accelerated...if this was the case I would have been frustrated and maybe flashed my lights but this was not the case. The idiot, pulled out into the bus lane and STOPPED!!!! put on her hazards. I just went out of body and numb as I braced for the impact...amazingly I was able brake and steer the car into the right lane(which thankfully was clear). I came to a stop parallel to her door and I unleashed all hell verbally and with my horn and whatever else was to hand. Then I drove on with my legs like jelly....

So there are varying levels really, each incident on their merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

The "power of the horn" (car) can invoke crazy reactions in people....

An old boss told me about a time (long story on the way) he was traveling in France with his family... they got lost... it was very hot... the kids in the back of the car were hungry, uncomfortable and tired and starting to whine... (parents you know *that* sound).....

Anyway they were on a minor road and came up to a juntion to a main road.. the main road had two lanes going each direction and very very busy... there was one French registered car in front of the auld boss and both cars were sitting there for ages at the junction trying to turn left (across multiple lanes of traffic).... 8 to 10 mins later and still no joy! In the mean time the kids in the back of the car started fighting!! My boss turned around to grab one of the kids and hit the horn in his car my accident... the lad in the French car in front just took off at warp speed into the lanes of traffic!! It caused a bit of panic on the main road.... but at least it got the traffic moving I guess....

Cheers,
    CarMuppet

Advertisement