Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lip piercing?

Options
  • 13-11-2009 5:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

hi guys, im thinking about getting my lower lip pierced i just want to know what previous experiences (bad and good) you had with your lip piercing? and what are the bad effects of lip piercing i heard it can lead to tooth erosion? thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I had it done, and through my own laziness, didn't replace the labret with a smaller one when I should have. I was a bit too fond of biting it (probably repressed sexual tension).

Anyway, it started to wear down the gum of one of my teeth, and one day I bit on the labret accidentally and it tugged the tooth slightly forward. Not enough to make a huge amount of difference, but enough to make me realise there was a problem there.

Experience of that says either get a ring as soon as possible, don't be an idiot like me, and keep in the training labret. Alternatively you could get it done off-centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 votelawrence

I got my lower lip pierced about 2 years ago now (ring, lower left hand side), as long as you get it done at a decent enough place there shouldn't be any trouble with tooth erosion as the ring shouldn't touch the teeth. The risk of infections is slightly lower than with opther piercings since there're enzymes in your mouth which attack bacteria but it can still get infected (I got a small infection on it about a fortnight after i got it pierced and had to rinse my mouth with hot brine a couple of times a day to kill it off - not a fun thing to do!). Eating with it in will seem almost impossible for the first few days (I think i lost about 2 pounds, now sadly regained along with a few others) but you'll soon get used to it. The actual piercing can take up to a year to heal enough for you to take it out for more than an hour at a time.

That's my experiences anyway, and it's only for rings I'm not sure what the situation is with labrets so I don't want to speak with any degree of authority on the subject.

Anyway I hope you do get the piercing whatever sort - post a pic if you do

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭I Saw Silence

I definately advise getting it done in a proper place. I got mine done (left side of lip) in celestial ring about two years ago and it healed up perfectly. Obviously eating is a problem for the first while but thats expected. I cleaned it about twice a day as I was told not to clean it too often.
    Also, I used to chew it a lot until I got a spike put in and I've had no problems with my teeth eroding or anything like that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I got mine pierced in Celestial Ring Stepen's Green last year, but it was pierced too low, and ended up causing a lot of gum erosion.

It really hurt to eat for the first 2 weeks, I later found out that it shouldn't have hurt as much as it did, because it was tugging on the gum.
    Any time I ate an apple it would bleed, and the gum erosion continued even after I changed it to a PTFE labret post.

I eventually took it out when I saw how bad it was getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

thats cool i wanted to get the left side of my bottom lip done, when you take it out is there a massive hole? ans does it close up fast?

• Advertisement

Depends what size you ask for. Look up the sizes before you ask to get it done. If you want it small, it'll close up pretty quickly within the first few months.

You'll always see the mark, but mostly only if you look closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

i want it small enough so it wont come anywhere near my teeth or gums thats the main thing im worried about ha

Well when you first get it in, you have the choice of loop or labret. It'll be swolen though, and will need to heal. You'll also need space to clean it (I just used salt water though, and was fine).

If you get a loop, you can choose the size, and determine yourself how close it's going to come to your teeth and gums. If you get a labret, it'll have to be a training one first. It's longer than normal because of the swelling and for movement. You just have to be careful for a while that you don't bite on it. Mostly while chewing food. Once it's healed enough (I think it's 2 weeks or so, but it's been a few years since I took mine out), you can replace it with a smaller length labret. One that fits closer to your lip, and further from your teeth/gums.

You could go into a shop (I recommend that's where you get it done, as i've seen some people get their friends to do it, or at concerts, and a couple came out with infections), and just look around. Look at the different bits you'd decide to put in. Then ask whoever's there what they'd recommend. Tell them your worries and see what they say. Usually people i've talked to in piercing shops are pretty cool and relaxed enough to just help, and not look at you funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭I Saw Silence

thats cool i wanted to get the left side of my bottom lip done, when you take it out is there a massive hole? ans does it close up fast?

I've taken mine out for months at a time and its never closed up. Its a small enough piercing too. Everytime I want to put some jewellery back in I just have to force it through. And the hole is barely noticable imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I hafd mine done bout 5 or 6 years ago. Kept it for about 2 years. Took it out one day in work, lost the stud, and never got a new one. It's a grand piercing to get and to maintain. Just a sea salt soak twice a day on the outside, and enzymes in your mouth will do the job on the inside. But if you really want to make sure, a weak mouthwash will do the job too.

When I got mine done i was told to not eat dairy foods for a few weeks, it slows down the healing times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

I got the right hand side of my lower lip done at the start of october in Wildcat on Jervis St.
    I had to get a longer bar after a few days because the original became buried. It was more to do with me swelling more than usual and having quite full lips than any fault of the piercer though.
    I always intended to get a ring but they said i'd be safer getting a bar first as there was no way if telling how much i'd swell and the ring could cause problems there. So he said to wait 4 weeks and they'd change it to a ring.
    I found i tended to bite in the bar a lot. But if i left it alone it didnt touch my teeth or gums. And with the ring now there's nothing to bite on and it doesnt go anywhere near my teeth so i dont think i'll have a problem with recession.
    Oh and i never had any trouble with eating whatsoever. So maybe that varies from person to person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Bunny_Ears

Thanks for sharing your experience, people. I'm also thinking of getting my lip pierced but I'm afraid it won't heal as quick as I want it to. Is it worse than tongue piercing (I already have that one)? Is there any difference when to get the lip pierced? What is better: summer or winter?

The only thing I can think of is that during the winter months, you might come down with a cold/flu, which might slow down the healing process. But only a short while, coupla days or a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

I haven't got my tongue pierced but from seeing a mate getting it done and the aftermath i think the lip is a hell of a lot easier. He was on soup and yoghurt for a week.

As for healing I got mine done on a thursday, it was grand friday but swelled quite badly on the saturday and a bit on sunday. It was ok then during the week. A little tender for a couple of days but not too bad. Another bit of swelling and soreness when i got the bar changed to a ring but that was to be expected. And now 3 weeks after i got the ring in i barely even notice it tbh. But i know in general it can take 16 - 20 weeks for it to totally heal and a proper fistula to form and for the scar tissue to become more flexible. (according to wikipedia anyway. lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 .nmK

I got mine done in June and found once the swelling went down a bit I HAD to downsize the bar because I was biting it while eating, which really hurt.

I got the side of my lip done, there's less gum problems with it.

It's a really easy piercing to clean and maintain.

But one day, in school, I had the ball off and pulled the bar into my mouth to speak to my VP and a few minutes later I realised I'd swallowed the bar.
    After 7 hours, I was able to get to a jewellery shop to buy a labret, but the pain was immense to put it back through.
    After a few days though, it was perfect!

.nmK wrote: »
    But one day, in school, I had the ball off and pulled the bar into my mouth to speak to my VP and a few minutes later I realised I'd swallowed the bar.
    After 7 hours, I was able to get to a jewellery shop to buy a labret, but the pain was immense to put it back through.
    After a few days though, it was perfect!
    haha. Happened me too. I'd take the ball off the end when I was in work. Kinda forgot about it, and halfway through the day I realised I'd swallowed it. It was a serious pain to get it in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Shelleysbaby

I'v had 3 piercings in my bottom lip, Right hand side, middle and left hand side.
    I took out the middle and the left hand side and I have been left with holes in my lip that don't seem to close up. The inside is closed but the outside still looks open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

when your getting it get a stub because it makes healing easier and be careful about where u get it done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭XXNikXX

I had my bottom lip pierced (in the middle) only about two weeks ago, found it a bit sore and weird feeling for the first couple of days but had no bother eating or anything.

Didn't do any special cleaning, just left it alone and it's healed grand on its own. Dosen't touch my teeth so no problems there.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

XXNikXX wrote: »
    I had my bottom lip pierced (in the middle) only about two weeks ago, found it a bit sore and weird feeling for the first couple of days but had no bother eating or anything.

Didn't do any special cleaning, just left it alone and it's healed grand on its own. Dosen't touch my teeth so no problems there.

:D

Not within two weeks it hasn't, it wouldn't be healed properly yet.
    I suggest you follow the aftercare instructions here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055017477

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭XXNikXX

Thanks for those, i should really have said that it's healing grand on its own.. Everyone is different but i just leave it alone, plain water is all that goes near it and thats what works for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkyc

i got my lip done before christmas 09 and its healed already!
    you just need to take real good care of it
    (water sea salt q tip and alcohol free mouthwash)

if you get a small bar it wont damage your teeth but if your very worried still you can get plastic bars with tiny studs in claires acessories!

get it done youll love it!!!!

oh and get it done in a proper safe clean place

peace:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I've had mine doen for two years now.

It was a bit painul for a few days and I did keep biting it. But after a while got used to it and barely even notice it's there.
    My problem was that I went and got a ring for it, in not the most reputable place. He gave me a sterling silver ring, which irritated my lip a lot. He also gave me a huge one saying that it was needed (but really just irritated it more). Also the fact that my lip hadnt been done very long didnt help.
    Stick to titanium for as long as possible anyway. I have a sterling silver ring now, and it does get a wee bit itchy now and then, but its fine.
    Also, in relation to teeth, I can't even feel it against my gums, it's in a good place.

EDIT: Also, I had to go to hospital for a few hours and had to take out my piercing, and by the time I tried putting it in again the hole had shrunk, so had to go to the piercers and get it widened again. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, silver is not really a great metal to use for piercings. Titanium and surgical steel are the best to use.

Advertisement