Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best SIMPLE P&S camera for indoor photography (Not Canon's G11)

• 13-11-2009 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭

HI,
    I have a Panasonic FZ28, like it but have problems with some indoor shots (weddings etc.) I've tried differnet settings etc. but because of the light etc have never gotten it right.

My wife said that when she had a basic P&S she didn't have problems like I'm having. So I'm going to get her a smiple P&S that she can use for weddings (inside church, at the function etc)
    I'm talking a very simple P&S camera, not something like Canon's G11. The simplier the better as long as it'll take good shots indoors and indoor with low lighting.

anyone have any advice?
    I've seen the buying a camera guides/threads etc but I'm looking for people recommendations.
    Thanks,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The better the camera is in low light, the more likely it will be to have loads of other features..... Why not consider something like the G11 and keep it in full auto mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'm afraid I'd be stuck for a specific recommendation like that. But I'm finding the most common word I'm saying these days is Canon IXUS! I hear the IXUS 990 is supposed to be good, but can't promise it will suit your purpose exactly.What camera does she have presently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

dinneenp wrote: »
    HI,
    I have a Panasonic FZ28, like it but have problems with some indoor shots (weddings etc.) I've tried differnet settings etc. but because of the light etc have never gotten it right.

My wife said that when she had a basic P&S she didn't have problems like I'm having.

I think you're looking for something that doesn't really exist here. Unless you use the on-camera flash (with its attendent problems), most P&Ss have the same problems with low light. I don't know what your price range is, but there are more expensive large sensor P&S cameras available now, but you're talking more expensive than the cheaper DSLRs so I think that's probably out of your range.

Might your wife not have had the same problems because her expectations were lower as regards the quality of the images ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Lumix LX3 has a wide aperture lens and in lens IS so should help you to get the shots you're missing currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

she doens't currently have one- we use my panasonic FZ28.
    I also have a Olympus stylus 1010 ( I plan to sell this and get Panasonic ZS1 or 3 from the States- something compactish with great zoom 12X for everyday carrying).

I've tried raising ISO, flash on/off, min shutter speed etc but have come to the conclusion that it's hard to get good shots in church (due to low light etc).
    I'm guessing that if my camera can't do it a P&S mightn't either....
    She doens't want something as big as the G11, wants a compact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

You could try the new Canon S90, it has the the same sensor as the G11, but is much more compact. Its not cheap though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Megapixel-Optical/dp/B002LSI1I2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258104771&sr=8-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

As Dara says the compact that is good in low light (high ISOs) hasn't been invented yet at any price. The sensor is just too small. I have the LX3 and it is just as bad as anything else at high ISOs.

Long exposures at low ISO's is a different thing though so your question should really be about high ISOs in low light. I think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

The new Canon S90 uses the same sensor as the G11, and it as an F/2.0 lens.
    Should be good in low light, and the ISO performance of the G11 is supposed to be good - it'll not be cheap though - it's not long out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I ended up getting the S90 for €275 from the US. €510 in my local b&motar store !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

While waiting for a delayed plane a few days ago I had a look at Cameras at the Airport (only so long you spend buying Single Malts) They had the G11 as well as the S90. Must say I was impressed with both of them. The G11 seems to have regained ground & looks like a worthy successor to the G9. The S90 also seemed to have a lot going for it in a very small package. Would be interested to hear how the S90 performs as I kniow a few people who may be looking for something like that.

Advertisement