Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car conked out after driving through puddle...

• 13-11-2009 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Well, it was more like a pond, during those flash floods 2 weekends ago. Anyway, I got it going again after drying out the distributer cap with some rags and displacement oil.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do to limit this happening again. The engine is a 1995 1.4 VW, usually very reliable. Now about 6 years ago, it happened as well, that time I forgot to put on the shroud over the cap, and lost it on the drive back home (I think the shroud isn't to prevent water or dirt getting in, but more for limiting electrical interference?), guys in the garage said I was better off without one. Is there any treatment I can give the cap to keep the insides dry? Maybe some silicone grease around the outside edge of the cap, or spray the inside, or anything else (besides the obvious of not driving through puddles if I can help it)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

WD40 maybe, know a few lads who swear by this stuff. That or there's
    a white grease that comes in a spray form, some motorfactors have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Thanks. And do what with it, just spray inside the cap every couple of weeks or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

With the WD40 the mechanic's i know spray the it in the cap and
    on the HT leads even, the white grease around the outside the cap once its closed. Extra repellant for the water.
    Then the cars set till the next service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Sounds like a good protocol. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Old trick, marigold rubber gloves and cable ties :D 5 leads = 5 fingers, if you have a five/six cylinder engine you have to look for the very rare 6ix and seven finger gloves:D

RubberGlove02.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's genius! It reminds me of a musical instrument of some sort heh :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alternatively just don't drive through pond sized puddles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Mk2 golf used to come with a factory version of the rubber glove, I think it was made of Vinyl or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Old trick, marigold rubber gloves and cable ties :D 5 leads = 5 fingers, if you have a five/six cylinder engine you have to look for the very rare 6ix and seven finger gloves:D
    There's a 'nine-finger' version for V8s:
    http://www.parkerlandrover.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=BA2840&cat=149&PHPSESSID=966bbb91aa930c5b255269182089af0d

Advertisement