Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the Best Broadband Company to go with ?

• 13-11-2009 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering when it boils down to it and there are a good few company,s that offer different speeds and prices in Ireland.

Which is the best and which has the most value for money ?

Eircom

Ntl

Smart Telecom

Vodafone

O2

Meteor

Magnet

Your Thoughts I hope they help people decide whats the best to go with.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

No smart in the list ? :confused:

Smart/Magnet for performance then Upc then any of the others in no particular order imo.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

Depending on where you live ... there are a few good local providers as well

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Smart, Magnet and UPC in no particular order are the top companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Less than 40% of homes can get any of those 3 companies bk , sorry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

This thread is to help people decide which broadband company to go with there is so many and each offering many packages.

Please offer your thoughts and help people cause it is very hard figure out which one is best.

• Advertisement

cable842 wrote: »
    Please offer your thoughts and help people cause it is very hard figure out which one is best.

And just for that reason you can't just put it in 1 thread .... sorry

who says you can't. lets talk about broadband people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

cable842 wrote: »
    who says you can't. lets talk about broadband people

Vodafone
    O2
    Meteor
    are all mobile services (except voda at home) so therefore do not qualify as broadband. They're better classified as mobile midband.

You need a database with what all the company's are offering ....click where you live and what you want etc ... then you get the provider that suits you .... I think there is a site who does that ... dunno if its up to date

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The government one does that and is way out of date ...frozen uselessly for 2 years minimum .

• Advertisement

by talking about which has the best offer and which company offers better service were helping people.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Everyone raves about Magnet, but my parents had a very bad time with them. They could never get the phone / voicemail and internet working correctly.

So much so that they are now leaving them.

I have NTL 20meg. Its good, I rarely get the over 17meg though due to the contention ration though.

Still Id recommend it.

55 euro for 10mb broadband is really bad with magnet. thats what they offered me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ernie1000

Hi
    Its a zoo out there, but after my expereince with Vodafone support for its e mail service....eg lack of decent smtp service...and the fact that for weeks I have not been able to send e mails and no fix in the pipeline I would strongly advise against Vodafone...they are a mobile company and dont appear to interested in broadband..if you want proof (apart form my experience) then try to navigate their website and get information for broadband and support.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Like previously stated, go with smart/magnet or UPC.

If i was you i`d be getting smart/magnet first(smart have a support forum and Rory from Magnet has a support forum on boards) , they`re the most reliable providers in Ireland. UPC offer higher speeds for less $$, however it can be touch and go with them. You might end up with a great service or 2 cans and a piece of string with terrible latency.

Failing those options you have the choice of bitstream DSL with Eircom or one of its resellers. Its basically the same product across the board, and many many people seem to be having more and more problems with Eircom as of late. (overcongested exchanges, terrible latency, disconnections) etc

Advoid 3G products, (horrible latency, bad contention etc etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

bad experiance with vodafone obviously not interested in providing a proper service its complete useless if 3 is available in youur area it would be the best if your going for 3G broadband or meteor but they barely have any coverage

Advertisement