Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 and mixing graphics cards

• 13-11-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

grrr :mad:

Moved over to Windows 7 expecting it to resolve my multi monitor issues I had with Vista and different graphics cards. But no luck.

I use 4 monitors on my work PC. Under Vista I was able to get the setup working by using 2xPCI Radeon 9250 128MB cards and their 4 outputs. But ATI had released no drivers for these legacy cards so I was stuck using Vistas built in ones which where rubbish.

I've now moved over to Windows 7, and had hoped I could mix PCIe with PCI under this OS, but no luck. I can either use the PCIe card or the PCI card, not both.

Under my device manager I can see all the cards, but the PCI ones are giving me the error: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" and are using the default XDDM drivers from Windows.

Is anyone successfully using a PCI card and a PCIe card together? Or does anyone know how to fix the error with the PCI cards?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

L31mr0d wrote: »
    grrr :mad:

Moved over to Windows 7 expecting it to resolve my multi monitor issues I had with Vista and different graphics cards. But no luck.
    Bad move

new OS's aren't a magic solution to problems, if something isn't patched in the old OS and the new OS doesn't specificaly state that it is now supported then it's just a gamble.

Stupid questions, what card is setup as default in the BIOS ? - try swapping if there is an option

what card is the PCIe ?

you could try
    PCIe with two monitors and
    two PCI cards with a single monitor, driver support might be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Bad move

new OS's aren't a magic solution to problems, if something isn't patched in the old OS and the new OS doesn't specificaly state that it is now supported then it's just a gamble.

It wasn't a gamble. MS did state that the requirement for cards to be the same (or at least use the same driver architecture) in Vista would be removed with 7. What I'm seeing though is that this may be only possible with DX10+ cards.

The PCIe card is an x1800GTO.

The specific thing which 7 changed over Vista is that it allows two graphics cards from different manufacturers to work at the same time. But they both need to be WDDM drivers, I don't think it's possible to mix WDDM and standard XP drivers.

Advertisement