Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael and NAMA WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Plausible deniability...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

It's just a worthless headline grabbing story.

"However, Mr Kenny had agreed a Dail pairing in advance -- a gentleman's agreement that allows TDs and ministers miss a vote if a colleague from the opposition abstains."

That's the important line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

eoinbn wrote: »

I'd have thought the important line was the last one....that the Government "easily won the vote"

it wouldn't have made any difference

eoinbn wrote: »
    It's just a worthless headline grabbing story.

"However, Mr Kenny had agreed a Dail pairing in advance -- a gentleman's agreement that allows TDs and ministers miss a vote if a colleague from the opposition abstains."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0923/breaking59.htm
    I thought they abandoned pairing? ^^
    Stupid idea anyway

Riskymove wrote: »
    I'd have thought the important line was the last one....that the Government "easily won the vote"

it wouldn't have made any difference

Thats one way of looking at it, the other way is that there failure to show up is a sign of a very unhealthy democracy. If these guys oppose NAMA why didnt they start with petitions? They are able to mobilise for elections and the recent referendum.

A sign these guys are part of the problem to me. Seems we dont just need rid of Fianna Fail we need an entire new batch of political parties. A working democracy needs a good government but also a good opposition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I doubt FG are really against NAMA. They just say that publicly to be populist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Stark wrote: »
    They just say that publicly to be populist.

Hammer. Nail. Head. Bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I thought they abandoned pairing? ^^
    Stupid idea anyway

its not really, its supposed to help the system from being used for party political purposes

e.g. lets say a Minister or the Taoiseach is involved in some important talks or meetings...so the oppossition just keep scheduling votes so he (and everyone else) all have to rush to the Dail to vote on a foregone conclusion

its used even more cynicly than that in the US, especially during election campaigns

Advertisement