Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless won't connect to net ??

• 13-11-2009 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi this has me stumped. I'm running a belkin wireless router that up until now has been working just fine.

I have two laptops connected to it wirelessly - last night something happened - ip crashed - no internet - when the net came back one laptop was able to connect to the net. The other just won't. It recognises the home network alright but I keep getting 'Unidentified Network' and no matter how much I play around with the settings it just will not go online.

Any help would be great

Riv

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Have you made sure you are entering the correct network password when connecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Oh yes network password and mac address all fine. I even went so far as to change the broadcast id from the router. My own laptop that I'm typing on re-adjusted and works fine. The other one recognised the name change, and allowed the laptop to connect to the router but still I get .... 'unidentified network' and no access to the internet.

It won't even allow me access the router control panel/webpage.

Riv

Can you connect to the net if you use a network cable?
    That error can mean lots of things so its hard to know.
    Are you using Vista?

Yes the ethernet is just fine, connects automatically etc etc. It's the damned wireless that up until last night was working perfectly.

Vista Home Premium with all the service packs etc etc installed

Riv

It seems some people resolved that issue by using a fix here from Microsoft.
    It involves editing the registry so if your not comfortably with that then don't do it.

• Advertisement

Pottering around in the registry would not be my idea of fun :(

Riv

No worries. Ok well what we could try to do is setting the IP address manually on the broken laptop.

On the working laptop click the Start button and in the run box type "cmd" without quotes and hit enter.
    At the command prompt type "ipconfig" without quotes and hit enter.

Copy / Paste the IP address, Subnet Mask and Default gateway into your next reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

OP, I hope you have at least restarted the computer and router as well yes? Vista needs them especially in cases like this. Also, disable IPv6 in the Wireless Network Connection properties, remove your wireless profile and try reconnect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

had a similar problem with a BELKIN router a while back on Windows XP and ended up resetting the router to "unsecured" and setting up security again ...

possible fix ..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

i thought you were just throwing terms around with "ip crashed" but if you mean ip colision then it means that 2 computers have the same ip. more then likely one is set up manually the other is set up with dhcp. If the one that has dhcp tried to connect first and the router assigned it the same ip as the other one always uses then you have an ip crash. Try changing the one that dosen't work to dhcp just incase.

If you want a basic test turn the one that works off (and any others) and repair (or disable then enable) your connection and see if it works.

• Advertisement

romah wrote: »
    had a similar problem with a BELKIN router a while back on Windows XP and ended up resetting the router to "unsecured" and setting up security again ...

possible fix ..!!

I tried that, I disabled all security settings on the router and still no joy.
    The laptop recognises the bloody network alright but simply will not connect to the net (I've since re-instated the security settings).

It tries to connect to the network, calls it an unidentified network and places it in the public setting. It will recognise other machines on the network, this laptop and my xbox as examples but it won't allow access to the router itself and the ethernet cable connection works perfectly.

Riv

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    No worries. Ok well what we could try to do is setting the IP address manually on the broken laptop.

On the working laptop click the Start button and in the run box type "cmd" without quotes and hit enter.
    At the command prompt type "ipconfig" without quotes and hit enter.

Copy / Paste the IP address, Subnet Mask and Default gateway into your next reply.

Why do you need these?

Why do you need these?

So I can what tell you what settings to use for the laptop which is not connecting to the net.

Advertisement