Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Room

Options
  • 13-11-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 4yr old semi-D. The main bedroom is upstairs at the front of the house and is carpeted. The other two bedrooms are at the back and have wood flooring. The heat system is 3 zone central heating (upstairs, downstairs, water). My problem is that If I have the heating on, the front bedroom is uncomfortable warm while if I leave the heating off the back rooms are freezing.

My 1.5 yr old son sleeps in the back room and moves around throwing off the bed clothes so I am worried about him getting too cold at night. He's also ashmatic which doesn't help.

The Termostat controlling the upstairs heating is on the landing at the top of the stairs. I find that turning on the heating down stair really effects this ie rooms are still cold while the landing is warm.

Here are my thought on the issues...what do you think

1. Move the thermostat into my sons room (probably the coldest room).
    2. Get those radiator thermostats each bedroom.
    3. Add additional insulation to the attic over the back rooms.

Also the ensuite is in the center of the house . Therefore there is an extractor fan leading to the attic. I didn't want stuff stored in the attic getting damp so I added a flexible pipe from the extractor fan to one of the air vents in the roof. This is fine while the weather isn't very cold. When the weather gets cold I find the steam from the shower condenses and drips back down the pipe. It is very annoying have cold drops falling on you while drying yourself. Has any body any recommendations how to fix this?

Final issue is regards to a power shower. The cold water from the water tank coming into the power shower has way better flow then the hot water. This results in the water for the shower to be cold even though the heating has been on (just for water) 40 - 60mins. I have partially closed the cold water from the water tank which means we have accessibly warm showers (just about) but this seriously effects the power of the shower. I have check the positioning of the temperature control as outlined in the manual and this is set ok. Any suggestions how to improve this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

on moving the thermostat.

if you move it to the coldest room the warmest room will only get hotter.

and you will be spending more money on trying to heat the other room.

In my house i find that the room which has the thermostat also get direct sunlight during the day which makes the oom naturally warmer anyway so when i do go to turn the heating on the room is warm enough already going by what the thermostat says.

Advertisement