Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dont interfere

Options
  • 13-11-2009 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

I was waiting to pick my daughter up from school yesturday,and had my 2 yr old daughter and 9 yr old son with me.My daughter was having a tantrum because she wanted another packet of smarties(shed just had a pack),and was crying in her buggie.I was pulled in on the path,on the phone to my sister,and not wanting to give in to my daughter and spoil her with all she wants,i was ignoring the crys,knowing she would give up eventualy.
    A woman in her late 30's with a new born with her, taped me on the shoulder and asked me what was wrong with my daughter,to which i told her nicely,shes just having a tantrum,theres nothing wrong with her what so ever.She saw i was on the phone,which i think is completly ignorant to begin with,but continued to insist there was something wrong with her,she looks sick,maybe shes cold,with a kind of look on her face as if to say 'what an awfull mother you are',all the time trying to presume that she knew my daughter better then i did.I told her i knew what i was doing,as i have 3 children and am no stranger to the terrible two's.
    Its hard enough to get into town to do bits that need to be done,without stuck up bizi bodies trying to be-little complete strangers.My blood is boiling thinking of it,why cant people mind their own,and leave people alone!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I wouldn't have been as polite as you were to be honest. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Give her a few months and she'll know exactly how it feels....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pretty rude and it was commendable of you not to dish it back.

The only good thing about it is that at least she (and others like her) won't turn their backs in a genuine case where intervention might be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ah sure she's only starting with a newborn, wait 22+ months and then see how she reacts, she'd probably walk past and give you a smile.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Was in town shopping for Christmas last year and there was a woman doing her best to get her groceries with a toddler in tow. Baby was throwing a massive tantrum and the mum was doing her best to let her cry it out and not give her attention for it (rightly so IMO). Some biddy strides up to her and starts having a go, accusing her of abuse! The poor mum was dumbfounded, as was I until a man beside me started telling the interfering wagon to mind her own, she stormed off muttering about Social Services...

To be honest I don't think this woman would have had the balls to do it if her "victim" wasn't a young woman on her own, if it was a real case of abuse she would have been too scared. I have a feeling it was her own ears she was worried about more than the child's welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Did you know that upsetting a child or letting a child be upset is tantamount to child abuse :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Did you know that upsetting a child or letting a child be upset is tantamount to child abuse :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'll get the memo once I give birth! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Nothing more irritating than someone interfering like that. Probably has a saint of a newborn and thought she was supernanny. She'll learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

I don't know how you stayed so calm, mumto3?! I never understand why people especially stranger's think you want to hear their view's on your kids! I also can't understand why people like to give their opinions on everything to do with my child?!! oh your baby is very big for their age, oh she is not walking yet oh i know a baby who can recite the alpfahbet (god i can't spell now my daughter has no chance hehe) and they're only 6 months old!! Get a life nobody care's!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

mmm....have to say that Im glad there are people out there that will look into why a child is distressed.

so the child needed to be taught she cant have all she wants...but thats not the point. the woman saw a child upset and asked could there be something wrong....had only the same questions been asked of Baby P or more recently the child in the UK that died from abuse this week.

We really do need more people to be aware!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

Voltex wrote: »
    mmm....have to say that Im glad there are people out there that will look into why a child is distressed.

so the child needed to be taught she cant have all she wants...but thats not the point. the woman saw a child upset and asked could there be something wrong....had only the same questions been asked of Baby P or more recently the child in the UK that died from abuse this week.

We really do need more people to be aware!!!

so the child needed to be taught she cant have all she wants...but thats not the point......yes that is the point!!!the only point.
    You can not look at a random mother on the street with a crying child and presum its another baby p situation!My child was not being beaten,slapped or shouted at,she was wearing a heavy winter coat and was clean.
    I understand there are plenty of people out there who abuse their children,and an equal amount of people who turn the other cheak at the situation,but all im saying is that unless you want to see a new generation of spoilt brats,let decent parents do it their way and dont make something out of nothing.

To everyone else thank you for the comments its nice to know im not the only one who feels like this.

mumto3 wrote: »
    so the child needed to be taught she cant have all she wants...but thats not the point......yes that is the point!!!the only point.
    You can not look at a random mother on the street with a crying child and presum its another baby p situation!My child was not being beaten,slapped or shouted at,she was wearing a heavy winter coat and was clean.
    I understand there are plenty of people out there who abuse their children,and an equal amount of people who turn the other cheak at the situation,but all im saying is that unless you want to see a new generation of spoilt brats,let decent parents do it their way and dont make something out of nothing.

To everyone else thank you for the comments its nice to know im not the only one who feels like this.
    ...I think your missing my point. The reason your child was crying was as a result of you disciplining your child...thats fine...your business..your doing what you feel is right as a parent.....but my point is what if you werent!

What if you were a person who was abusing their child...inflicting harm on your child?
    Surely we should be fostering a culture where like we enhance the care of children by letting people feel free to ask why a child is acting in a distressed manner.
    I for one wouldnt take any chances when it comes to children...they are the most innocent and vunerable.

Yes Voltex,i understand what you are saying but its not realistic,or acceptable to go around questioning strangers on the street,firstly because its makeing a persumption that every mother is guilty untill proven inocent,secondly because it doesnt take the cleverest of people to recognise the difference between an otherwise contented child and one that is seariously distressed,and thirdly because unless you go around reporting every parent of a crying child to the social sevices,theres really nothing a stranger on a street can do.
    I dont know if you have ever experienced being in a public place with a screaming 2yr old?People look at you like you have 2 heads,its bad enough as it is without people passing comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

If I were to question everybody with a crying child I would never get anything else done!! The minute you give birth everybody suddenly feels entitled to question your every decision. Drives me up the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 carla30

what gives anybody the right to interfere in your business like that?who did she think she was? I dont know how you didnt tell her where 2 go and mind her own business mumto3!!. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Nosey ignorant people as described by the OP sicken me. How did you not tell her to go and find a nice tall cliff with rocks at the bottom.

I hear a lot of parents who spend a lot of time critising how others look after their own kids while their kids are obnoxious. Try looking after a team where you can 4 or 5 of these experts on the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

God love her..she'll know all about it when her baby is the same age!!!

I see kids in floods all the time..unless they are being neglected I dont think anyone has any right to make a comment on it..its none of their bloody business.

Toddlers cry, its how they learn and you have to let the parent handle it in their own way. Cant stand dogooders :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

so the child needed to be taught she cant have all she wants...but thats not the point. the woman saw a child upset and asked could there be something wrong....

I think it is perfectly ok to ask once if the child is ok- even a good thing to do so. But the OP kept getting pestered by this lady when she explained that everything was fine, that is the difference here.

I'll illustrate with my own story. When the twins were little, we lived in a small flat in Dublin. My husband was away for a couple of days when they were 4 months old, and I had a hard time with the kids. They cried a lot, and loudly! Well, because there were two of them tag-teaming crying episodes, which neighbours didn't know, it must have sounded like one child crying all the time. One of the neighbours knocked on my door to check if everything was ok. They got no answer (I didn't hear over the crying), and thought I was out and left a baby. One of the neighbours rang the police while the other had the idea to go downstairs and ring my doorbell. This I heard, answered, and explained that I had twins etc. They were really nice then, offered to go to the shops for me, rang the police back to make sure they wouldn't show up etc.

I was soooo embarassed, but that scenario was not interferring, it was legitimate concern, and I was glad they cared. If they had kept pestering me everytime a twin cried for a few minutes, then it would have been interfering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I think the fact that you were on the phone is probably why she said it. I've seen mums with tantruming todders and they might be ignoring the child but they are usually standing beside it, looking mortified lol and you just sort of know it's a tantrum because they are quite deliberatly ignoring the child (arms folded, back to the scraming toddler etc.

I have often just given a sympathetic "I know how you feel" look and smile to a mum in that position to show I wasn't judging.
    But I gotta say, if I saw someone on the phone while their child was screaming in the buggy, I wouldn't assume tantrum. I would (rightly or wrongl) "wouldn't the mum get off the phone and see to the child!".

Thats just me. Imo there is a difference between making it obvious you are ignoring the childs tantrum and just igoring the child if that makes sense? They look like 2 very different things and perhaps you feel this woman is out of line but so many people do nothing about parents that aren't coping well. She was friendly and nice and while I do think she was wrong to keep at you when you said it was just a tantrum, I don't think she was wrong to ask was everything alright.

For those who say she hasn't a clue because she has a newborn, well she was waiting at the school gates so odds are she has more than the one. And here you all are giving out about jumping to conclusions!!! ;)

I live in a terraced house and next doors bedroom is adjacent to mine. I hear the baby crying at night and I was worried as I could hear the parents screaming at the child (or each other - they weren't speaking English so I wasn't sure) but it seemed to be letting a roar at the baby. It was a regular occurance and I often heard the mum crying.

I rang the PHN and told her. I couldn't risk that there was something more serious going on. She said she's visit and check it out without mentioning me, just dress it up as routine.

It's horrible to have to weigh up whether to do something or not as you might be wrong and have the wrong idea totally, but seeing the number of abused children going under the radar and depressed mums and dads taking their lives and sometimes the lives of the kids.....the risk of offending someone seems minor in comparison to the risk of letting it go.

ash23 wrote: »
    I think the fact that you were on the phone is probably why she said it. I've seen mums with tantruming todders and they might be ignoring the child but they are usually standing beside it, looking mortified lol and you just sort of know it's a tantrum because they are quite deliberatly ignoring the child (arms folded, back to the scraming toddler etc.

I have often just given a sympathetic "I know how you feel" look and smile to a mum in that position to show I wasn't judging.
    But I gotta say, if I saw someone on the phone while their child was screaming in the buggy, I wouldn't assume tantrum. I would (rightly or wrongl) "wouldn't the mum get off the phone and see to the child!".

Thats just me. Imo there is a difference between making it obvious you are ignoring the childs tantrum and just igoring the child if that makes sense? They look like 2 very different things and perhaps you feel this woman is out of line but so many people do nothing about parents that aren't coping well. She was friendly and nice and while I do think she was wrong to keep at you when you said it was just a tantrum, I don't think she was wrong to ask was everything alright.

For those who say she hasn't a clue because she has a newborn, well she was waiting at the school gates so odds are she has more than the one. And here you all are giving out about jumping to conclusions!!! ;)

I live in a terraced house and next doors bedroom is adjacent to mine. I hear the baby crying at night and I was worried as I could hear the parents screaming at the child (or each other - they weren't speaking English so I wasn't sure) but it seemed to be letting a roar at the baby. It was a regular occurance and I often heard the mum crying.

I rang the PHN and told her. I couldn't risk that there was something more serious going on. She said she's visit and check it out without mentioning me, just dress it up as routine.

It's horrible to have to weigh up whether to do something or not as you might be wrong and have the wrong idea totally, but seeing the number of abused children going under the radar and depressed mums and dads taking their lives and sometimes the lives of the kids.....the risk of offending someone seems minor in comparison to the risk of letting it go.

The point that some of you are missing is that there is a long jump from letting your child cry out her tantrum and being neglectfull.Supernanny herself uses the control crying method.Its perfectly normal.
    I forgot to mention that this woman was a good 10 years older then me,and as someone said further up the treath about her situation,i have often found that older mums sometimes tend to think that because im quite young that gives them automatic rights to 'show me how its done'.
    i believe that if i had aproached this woman,with her being older then me,she would have probably laughed and rightly so!
    I was waiting for my daughter but i was not at the school gates,i was outside brown thomas,walking town to pass time.

I would also like to point out that sometimes a mother does have to ignore her child crying on purpose to pick up the phone,that imo is not neglect!!!!We are human and sometimes need to make/take important calls,although on this particular ocasion i was only on to my sister.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Fair play to you for keeping calm though, I would have been so annoyed I'm sure I would have made a sharp retort. My oldest went through a period of having tantrums too- luckily it didn't last long but what I remember was the sympathetic looks I got from other people ( obviously parents).

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

Obviously none of us were there at the time and the lady seems to have been interfering more than she should of.I am sure her intentions were good albeit a bit ott.

Unfortunately in todays society,we all tend to ignore situations which may conern us but chose to avoid confrontation.
    However getting angry with the lady would display the fact that you do not want anyone to interfere,including people trying to help you carry a buggy or bags down steps onto a train bus etc.

'You cant have you cake and eat it'

Harpic wrote: »
    Obviously none of us were there at the time and the lady seems to have been interfering more than she should of.I am sure her intentions were good albeit a bit ott.

Unfortunately in todays society,we all tend to ignore situations which may conern us but chose to avoid confrontation.
    However getting angry with the lady would display the fact that you do not want anyone to interfere,including people trying to help you carry a buggy or bags down steps onto a train bus etc.

'You cant have you cake and eat it'

Harpic,i find that an odd way of looking at it!
    There was no 'situation' to ignore,and it did not cocern her!!Im sure had i pulled out another pack of smarties and just givin in,this lady would have still had something to say about that!
    I did not get angry at her,as i was taken aback,it was how she made me feel afterwards that triggered anger,and so i got it of my chest here!
    Saying that i cant have my cake and eat it too does not make sense,for i did not ask for her help in the first place but i would be interested to know would you apply the same reasoning to a shop keeper?They dont want to get robbed,but they still open their doors every morning!
    There is a big difference between helping people and sticking your nose in when its clearly not needed!
    I would understand if i looked like i was struggling,or if my child was hysterical,then a kind smile and a bit of advice would be welcomed,but i was not,and she was not and it certainly was not ment as a kind gesture!!

Op...the very same sorta thing happened to me today in Debenhams.
    My 2nd son of 6 months has a touch of eczema on his cheek and when it flares up it goes bright red....while in the que a lady looking down at him asked was he getting too warm...that he looked very flushed.

I just replyed that he has a touch of eczema blah blah blah.......

But i wasnt offended...I wasnt upset...I was happy at the thought that someone was considering how my child was feeling....was he too warm...could it have cause a major problem...who knows....but the point was what if he was getting too warm?...we all know the dangers of babiys getting too warm...We as parents are not perfect...we just do the best we can and to the best of our knowledge...but when thats not good enough our pride or egos shouldnt interfere with allowing others who may have good advice or intentions to offer them up!

Op..this may sound blunt..but get over yourself...the lady quizzing you was only doing so out of concern and interest in your childs welfare...be grateful of that..cause I sure am!

By the way..Im a father to 2 boys...one is nearly 3...so I know first hand what a 2 year old can be like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 carla30

I dont think its very nice to tell mumto3 to get over it. Its no ones business but her own how she deals with her childs tantrum,and if i had been her when that woman went over to her i wouldnt have been so calm. Yes there are a lot of caring and considerate people in this world but there are also nosey interfering ones too.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

I still completely agree with the op. Some of you on here are comparing witnessing or hearing a child crying or being shouted at on a regular basis the same as what happened with the op. This lady walked by the op and saw her child crying. If this lady had witnessed the op shouting or hitting her child it would be completely different. The child was crying, having a tantrum not being slapped or beaten! Surely if this lady has ever been around children even if her newborn is her only child then she would know that children cry and scream if they are not getting their own way. I would never presume a crying child is being abused! I find this interference very disrespectful. How can a stranger comment when they don't know me or my child and so they don't know my child's humour.
    Also someone else said a lady commented that her child looked to warm?! I would of told her to f off did she think you were stupid? I don't believe these people say it out of concern either, most are interfering auld biddy's. If you look like a younger mother it's presumed you haven't got a clue and you need a stranger to tell you how to do things the right way. Another poster said she heard a child next door crying and being shouted at, i wouldn't think twice about ringing the phn over this as it was on going not a once off thing. It's completely different to what happened the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Op...the very same sorta thing happened to me today in Debenhams.
    My 2nd son of 6 months has a touch of eczema on his cheek and when it flares up it goes bright red....while in the que a lady looking down at him asked was he getting too warm...that he looked very flushed.

I just replyed that he has a touch of eczema blah blah blah.......

But i wasnt offended...I wasnt upset...I was happy at the thought that someone was considering how my child was feeling....was he too warm...could it have cause a major problem...who knows....but the point was what if he was getting too warm?...we all know the dangers of babiys getting too warm...We as parents are not perfect...we just do the best we can and to the best of our knowledge...but when thats not good enough our pride or egos shouldnt interfere with allowing others who may have good advice or intentions to offer them up!

Op..this may sound blunt..but get over yourself...the lady quizzing you was only doing so out of concern and interest in your childs welfare...be grateful of that..cause I sure am!

By the way..Im a father to 2 boys...one is nearly 3...so I know first hand what a 2 year old can be like

Yes but when you told the lady that your child had eczema did she keep pestering you with different suggestions? I bet she didn't! That's the difference here. The OP's situation was very different to your own so I don't think you should be telling her to get over herself!

voltex,
    You are contradicting your self,i completly agree that no parent is perfect,and we do the best we can,so why then,would i let a complete stranger preach to me because she herself obviasly regaurds herself as a perfect parent:)
    I am a capible parent and a responsable mother,having had my first child at 16,iv grown up fast and am very proud of the way i raise my children.Which is why i dont apreciate any parent looking down on another.Everyone does it different but as long as your childs safe and happy,its all that matters.There was no reason for this woman to presum she knew better then me,apart from the fact that i was younger then her.Do you think she would have aproached a mother her own age?I doubt it!!!
    I understand that their are parents out there that abuse their possition as someone mentioned baby p,but branding every mother with a child crying an abuser or neglecter is like saying all men at a playground are pedos....so not true!!!!!
    I think it comes down to manners,if you were raised with them,you will know when to keep opinions in your mind.
    As someone said above me,this is not a continual thing,this woman never met me before,didnt know me,and i was not doing anything wrong as regaurds my daughter.
    Thanks to all the parents out there who replied to let me know im not the only one who gets anoyed with this kind of thing!!!They are hard work eh?!,but they are certainly worth it:)

mumto3 wrote: »
    voltex,
    You are contradicting your self,i completly agree that no parent is perfect,and we do the best we can,so why then,would i let a complete stranger preach to me because she herself obviasly regaurds herself as a perfect parent:)
    I am a capible parent and a responsable mother,having had my first child at 16,iv grown up fast and am very proud of the way i raise my children.Which is why i dont apreciate any parent looking down on another.Everyone does it different but as long as your childs safe and happy,its all that matters.There was no reason for this woman to presum she knew better then me,apart from the fact that i was younger then her.Do you think she would have aproached a mother her own age?I doubt it!!!
    I understand that their are parents out there that abuse their possition as someone mentioned baby p,but branding every mother with a child crying an abuser or neglecter is like saying all men at a playground are pedos....so not true!!!!!
    I think it comes down to manners,if you were raised with them,you will know when to keep opinions in your mind.
    As someone said above me,this is not a continual thing,this woman never met me before,didnt know me,and i was not doing anything wrong as regaurds my daughter.
    Thanks to all the parents out there who replied to let me know im not the only one who gets anoyed with this kind of thing!!!They are hard work eh?!,but they are certainly worth it:)

Op...I can see you feel that this womans questioning of your childs condition has struck a nerve with you.
    I just dont get why parents feel that the postion they hold as a "parent" is one of total infallability...and that no-one has the right to comment or observe.

As far as my own suitation went....Im certainly not contradicting myself.
    Theres no such thing as a perfect parent...but certain distict experiences allow other parents to make vaild contributions...once again in my own case my first son had a neo-natal condition called Pyloric Stenosis which required surgery at 6 weeks..therefore if I met a parent with a child projectile vomiting...Id suggets a quick visit to hospital and request lloking into this condition!
    You yourself say you were a young First Time parent...so you would have vaild contributions to make from your own experiences....

Like i said before, people should be encouraged to ask about childrens welafre...not leaving it to chance that every parent is coping and doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

nobody feels they have the right to comment or observe on other aspects of your life, but as soon as you have kids everyone has a right to tell you how you are not doing things correctly.

Advertisement