Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dont interfere

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I still think that you over reacted OP. I can understand why you were annoyed but I think you just think she was being that way because you are young. I had my daughter at 20 and I used to get really offended when people said things (have you sunscreen on her, shouldn't she be wearing socks etc). I took it far too personally because I felt it was a slur on me when really it wasn't. My daughter is nearly 7 and people still comment on stuff like that. A lot of the time it's not actual "you are abusing your child" sort of concern, it's just conversation, especially from other mums and older women.

I just take it along with the other things they say (like isn't she gorgeous, she's so chatty, lovely eyes etc).

Its just one of those things and I don't think any harm was meant. I think some people are just trying to start up a chat or think they are being helpful.

You'll encounter it and it's up to you as to whether you get upset by it. Personally I prefer to just smile and change the topic but I wouldn't take it personally and get upset by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I just wanted to point out, OP, that you got offended that that woman was interfering because she assumed you are a young mother and don't know what you are doing. But then you go on and assume she does not know what she is talking about because she has a newborn. Just doesn't add up a bit.

Don't mean to offend, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

ebmma wrote: »
    I just wanted to point out, OP, that you got offended that that woman was interfering because she assumed you are a young mother and don't know what you are doing. But then you go on and assume she does not know what she is talking about because she has a newborn. Just doesn't add up a bit.

Don't mean to offend, of course.

Iv just reread my older posts,and unless iv missed something(which is possible,its early!!),i dont see where i have presumed anything about this woman.
    I mentioned she had a newborn with her,yes.I did not even say it was hers,as i dont know this woman!
    Although i think if you put a woman with a 9,7 and 2 year old next to a woman with a newborn,regaurdless of age,the woman with the experience probably knows more!!!Not better-just more,because every parent does it their way,and for every great mother out there,theres always an even better one around the corner!!

My point was,and still is that its frustrating,when i can not go into town with my kids,and dicipline them it a unharmfull way without being looked down on.I refuse to let my toddler rule my life when im in public,by trowing a tantrum if she doesnt get sweets,i will continue to go about my bisness,and have every right!!!!!
    Lets be honest,theres far too many people doing far worse on the street everyday!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Orlaithc9

Something similar happened to me on holiday this year...we were in the Costa Del Sol and my daughter was 9 months at the time...I accidentally got sun cream in her eye as she hates when I put it on her and wriggled and pushed my hands away so it was quite difficult to apply.
    She also loves to STUFF her face full when she is eating then munch it around in her mouth spit some out and put it back in again - horrible but she gets lots of joy out of it.
    Anyhow we were sitting in a bar during the day as there was an important
    football match on my other half wanted to see. My daughter was happily eating a piece of Liga and with the suncream in her eye it had gone a bit red...a group of elderly men and women were sitting close by use and one lady kept drawing everyone elses attention to me daughter and cutting me looks (my other half was glued to the match and completely unaware)

Then the lady shouts out "shes coking shes choking" I double checked my daughter who was happily eating her Liga and nothing was wrong. I assured the lady that she likes to eat that way and there was nothing wrong with her. The lady had kept shouting at me and loads of people were looking over it was so embarrassing. She would not let it go..even though everyone could see that my daughter was prefectly fine.
    I thanked her for her concern as ok it might have looked bad with my daughters red eye but she made such a fuss that even the members of her own group were telling her the baby was fine and to sit down.

It was really embarrassing and i justed wished she didnt interfer to start with. I felt undermined as a mother even though I know my baby best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I had a similar situation a year or so again. We don't slap our kids but I sometimes put my hand over theirs and slap my own hand, so it makes the noise, my kids find this or at least they did find it funny.
    However one day we were in a shopping centre and my daughter 3 years old at the time had a bit of a tantrum and was crying, I got down to her level and tried to talk calmly to her, no joy so I said stop crying or I'm going to slap you, so I then did my little trick of slapping my own hand (in an attempt to distract her with roars of laughter), my daughter however continued to cry and in the meantime a lady in her 60s? came over to see what was going on and if everything was OK, I was extremely rude to this lady as I knew what was going on but when I got home I put myself in the ladys shoes and it probably looked like I had slapped my child in order to make her stop crying, so I owe that lady a huge apology as concern for a childs well being is better than no concern.

Needless to say I no longer pretend to slap my child in public :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement