Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with Diarrhoea

Options
  • 13-11-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm worried about my dog, she has had mild diarrhoea since Tuesday night. It hasn't been really bad, but she is going more often than usual and is of a runny consistency. She also went several times in the house yday when we were out in work. She would NEVER normally go in the house. Other than that, she seems fine, she has loads of energy and is eating normally. I tried fasting her for 24 hours, but felt I had to feed her, as she was starving.

My problem is, I can't get her to the vet, we both work full time and my vet doesn't open late any day. It will be next week, before my hubby has a day off and can take her to the vet.

Do you think it is something that will just pass? Like I said she does seem perfect other than the diarrhoea. Or should I be taking off work to take her to the vet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Is she weeing in the house too? She may have a slight infection, as if she doesn't normally go inside. Perhaps ring your vet and explain and see what they say, but personally I'd be inclined to try getting to the vets.

Or you could try some chicken with rice - it might firm up her poops a little and would be gentle on her tummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is her worming programme up to date? Have you changed her food recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How is her form in general? Is she vomitting too or just the runs? If she has both it can be quite serious as they can get dehydrated but sometimes the runs on its own isnt too bad.

Have you changed her food at all or given her something different to eat as this can cause an upset tummy.

WHat i would do is take her off her food and just feed boiled chicken and rice and nothing else and see does that help as that is very light on her tummy.

If she seems in good form then i wouldnt be overly concerned, but if shes out of sorts she could have a bug that needs the vet to have a look at her.

Im sure there is a vets somewhere near you that open after work times, just means you might have to travel a bit to get to it.

Whatever you do, do not let it go too much longer as you dont want the dog suffering if it does need the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A bit of runny poo is just a messy nuisance, heavy diarrhea could kill her pretty quickly through de-hydration.

For the first case put her on a boilded rice and chicken diet, for the second take her to the vet now.

EDIT: what andreac said ...I need to learn to type quicker :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Just also check if theres anything outside that the dog is eating. Mine was getting loose poo cause of all the windfall apples (cookers) he was eating in the garden.

As fast as we picked them up the wind blew more down:(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for all the replies. No, she hasn't eaten anything unusual or new food recently. She only has diarrhoea, no vomiting and her form otherwise is excellent, she's full of beans as normal.

Will try her on the chicken and rice (excuse the ignorance, but is this just boiled human rice???) and think I will try and get her to a vet 2mor one way or the other. Thanks again.

yepp, just plain boiled rice, no butter, no salt ...same for the chicken pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

I was told by a Vet that a dog with Diarrhea should not have any food for 24 hours to clear the system - plenty of fluids though

peasant wrote: »
    yepp, just plain boiled rice, no butter, no salt ...same for the chicken pieces

Sorry, one more question, how long do you boil the chicken for? Don't want to make her worse by giving it to her half raw!

I can see how this is gonna go, I think she will scoff the chicken and leave the rice. She has a great ability to take the nice bits of food and spit out the stuff she doesn't like!

boil time will very much depend on the size of the pieces ...if in doubt just boil it some more.

BTW, if your dog doesn't like chicken, then just give her rice. The chicken is only in there to make the rice more interesting :D

• Advertisement

BTW, if your dog doesn't like chicken

LOL, you've obviously never met Libby, she turns into a crazed beast if there's even a hint of chicken in the air :D

Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Just a quick note - starving the dog for 24 hours first and then feeding a light diet of chicken and rice, with a little probiotic yoghurt (little!) for a few days usually clear up any dodgy poo situation. The yoghurt will help balance out the bacteria in her gut, dairy is generally a no no with dogs (can cause the scuts) but a little bit of live yoghurt daily can work brilliantly. Your vet will also have something similar to give her (if you get a chance to pop to them). If she still has it next week, she will need to be seen by a vet to make sure she has no infections. Hope it clear up soon.

Advertisement