Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the Year

Options
  • 13-11-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭

Was thinking, maybe, a thread for nominations for the game of the year, keep it open for two or three weeks, then the top 3-4 for each console would be put up for the vote.

PS3 - Uncharted 2
    XBOX 360 - MW 2
    Dsi - ?
    PC - MW 2

That's my nominations..

If the game is exclusive to a particular console, make sure to say it :P
    Thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Was thinking, maybe, a thread for nominations for the game of the year, keep it open for two or three weeks, then the top 3-4 for each console would be put up for the vote.

PS3 - Uncharted 2
    XBOX 360 - MW 2
    Dsi - ?
    PC - MW 2

That's my nominations..

Thoughts??

Id go with Batman Arkham Asylum fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rashers10

It's a bit early as L4D2 and Assassins Creed 2 have not been played yet.

I'd agree that Arkham Asylum is probably my all round game of the year.
    Multi-player game of the year is MW2 (I'll be playing it in 2 years time)
    Special mention goes to Forza 3, though.

(I only have a 360)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I posted on a diff board that I believe there will be 5-6 nominees, spread across all the platforms - MW2, Batman: AA, Uncharted 2, Resident Evil 5 and an outside bet for the last spot between Wii Sports Resort/Zelda: Spirit Tracks/Assassins Creed 2/Left 4 Dead 2. I don't rate the new Mario Wii game much and genuinely feel the first 4 titles I mentioned are a cut above everything else we've seen this year. For me right now the overall GOTY would be Resi 5 or MW2, but need desperately to play Uncharted 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Whatever games y'all mention will get a big hadouken in the form of Street Fighter 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rashers10

I posted on a diff board that I believe there will be 5-6 nominees, spread across all the platforms - MW2, Batman: AA, Uncharted 2, Resident Evil 5 and an outside bet for the last spot between Wii Sports Resort/Zelda: Spirit Tracks/Assassins Creed 2/Left 4 Dead 2. I don't rate the new Mario Wii game much and genuinely feel the first 4 titles I mentioned are a cut above everything else we've seen this year. For me right now the overall GOTY would be Resi 5 or MW2, but need desperately to play Uncharted 2

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about Resi 5. It was enjoyable in Co-op but it was ultimately forgettable after that.
    FiFa 10 probably deserves an mention, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Yeah, i thought it would be good to make a thread and see if there was some game that a few people loved that wasn't mainstream... haven't played U2, but managed to play the multiplayer beta and co-op beta couple months ago... And it was awesome.

Think the beta was with prototype or infamous, can't remember which..... loved it though!

How about a nominations thread, every user gets 2-3 nominations and a week to do it. A poll thread is then opended for the top 5 - 10 nominated games? However such a project should be started in december I'd say, let the rest of the games come out and COD Fever die down a little. Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Moved to games forums. The games awards forum is just for the Polls that happen at the end of the year and not for user created threads. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hi guys,

We'll be doing this properly at the end of the year. I'll be starting the ball rolling with first phase of nominations in the week after Christmas.

Its a big job to cover all platforms (and we'll have an extra "Best Games of the Decade" series of questions this year), so it needs to be done in a well-planned, phased and controlled manner.

How about a nominations thread, every user gets 2-3 nominations and a week to do it. A poll thread is then opended for the top 5 - 10 nominated games? However such a project should be started in december I'd say, let the rest of the games come out and COD Fever die down a little. Eh?

This is a nominations thread.

Sorry kinetic, wasn't sure where to put it.....

• Advertisement

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    This is a nominations thread.

:o
    I fail big time, guess I just breezed over the opening text. Apologies to you DOC09UNAM

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mr E wrote: »
    I'll be starting the ball rolling with first phase of nominations in the week after Christmas.
    I've already been pimping Dragon Age, so expect a good showing :P

:o
    I fail big time, guess I just breezed over the opening text. Apologies to you DOC09UNAM

No probs dude, looks like it's gonna be shut down anyway tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If you want me to add a poll to this just let me know. I'll need to know what options you want on it too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I was still playin fallout at the start of this year, suppose that doesn't count though. I'd say empire:total war. Hasn't been a vintage year though imo.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    If you want me to add a poll to this just let me know. I'll need to know what options you want on it too. :)

Was thinking maybe give this a couple weeks till after AC2 and L4D2, and like someone said, the whole MW2 buzz dies down!!

Thanks you!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dragon age, clearly

how is this even a competition?

dragon age, clearly

Never played dragon age, must have a look into it, see if i can pick myself up a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Xbox 360: Dragon Age, so far. Assassin's Creed 2 might be something special or not.
    PS3: Uncharted 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

dragon age, clearly

Batman clearly > Gh3y dragons... That's how!

Hardly makes sense starting this now, when quite a few people won't even be getting the games until Christmas, and will need a bit of time to get through them after that... There should be some interesting results when this is done properly at the beginning of next year... Can't wait!
    Game of the decade will be an absolute mess to organise, but Mr. E is definitely the man for the job:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can see game of the decade being a bit of a farce considering that it spans two console generations and the arse end of the PS1 generation. I predict a disappointing winner that was released in the last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I can see game of the decade being a bit of a farce considering that it spans two console generations and the arse end of the PS1 generation. I predict a disappointing winner that was released in the last 18 months.

Wow, you don't have a high opinion of the gaming populace... quite rightly too!

Out of interest, what would you pick retr0?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Otacon wrote: »
    Wow, you don't have a high opinion of the gaming populace... quite rightly too!

Out of interest, what would you pick retr0?

More so I don't have a high opinion of public votes. There's probably a lot of people too young to even remember the launch of the PS2 in 2001 :)

I'm really not sure what I'd pick but Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime, Resi 4 and Persona 3 would be high up my list. Probably forgetting a load as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What have I played this year?

I was reasonably impressed with MGO:PO but of course thats been out ages. Same situation with Shadow of the Collossus and Uncharted. Fallout 3 and Valkkyria Chronicles too from the last year but I onyl played in 2009....hmm....

Well there should, if there isn't already, be a best DLC bit. I think the Selvaria missions in VC were an excellent bonus for the asking price. Haven't gotten around to the Fallout DLC yet tho (anyone want to account swap?).

So this year theres Persona 4, Demon Souls and Pes 2010. All excellent for me.

Didn't play anything else on the PS2 this year so kind of hard to vote for anything other than P4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Game of the Decade? Clearly Half-Life 2.

No other game comes close for anticipation, innovation, transition and immersion.

The fact that people are still playing it five years since it launched is evidence of that. Nothing has come close to having that effect of "awe" and "how did they do that" like Half-Life 2 had and still has. It revolutionised the possibilities of gaming and immersion.

Some people might say 'Halo' and that is laughable. Others might say 'Resident Evil', but these are games that have brought nothing new to gaming itself. It will be a long time before a game can alter the way we think about what a game is, in the way Half-Life 2 did.

Back on topic;

Contenders for Game of the Year for me would be -
    a) Modern Warfare 2
    b) Dragon Age
    c) Assassin's Creed II (I know it is not out yet but it shows potential)
    d) Uncharted 2

Special Recognition: Battlefield 1943

Games I hope to see not receiving any awards:
    a) Halo 3: ODST
    b) Halo Wars

I don't hate Halo, but I felt both of those games had so much more potential and were hyped up to be brilliant, when infact, they were a complete let-down that neither moved the series forward or offered something new.

I found Half-Life 2 brought nothing new to the table either, it just did everything that had been done before except extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Borderlands Arma 2 and SF4 so far for me, will decide by xmas what wins.

isnt there a game awards forum tho ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

dreamers75 wrote: »
    isnt there a game awards forum tho ?

See post #10 ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I found Half-Life 2 brought nothing new to the table either, it just did everything that had been done before except extremely well.

Physics? Photo-realistic characters with lip-synchronised dialogue? The application of real world solutions to virtual world problems, i.e puzzle solving with real possibilities? Realism? A detailed and immersive storyline?

I think you will be hard pressed to provide a game that can trump Half-Life 2 in innovation, originality and diversity from the standard FPS title, nevermind the amount of polish that went into the game.

My point infact: There is no title that has come out this year, or last year that one could argue is better than Half-Life 2. Now, that is saying a lot as to quality of the game.

• Advertisement

There were games before Half-life that had physics (psi-ops being one), there were better looking games when it came out (technically, the art design is still fantastic), lip synching had been done before and there were games that told a better story and told it better.

However Half Life 2 put them all together and made it work extremely well. It's a fantastic game but i think there's better.

Advertisement