Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the Year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    More so I don't have a high opinion of public votes. There's probably a lot of people too young to even remember the launch of the PS2 in 2001 :)

I'm really not sure what I'd pick but Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime, Resi 4 and Persona 3 would be high up my list. Probably forgetting a load as well.

Definately. Can't give an opinion on the others as I haven't played them, though with ICO its not from lack of trying.

Two games I really enjoyed since 2000 would include Timesplitters 2 and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3. I know they aren't uniquely amazing games but I put a lot of time into enjoying both of them.

Now I had better play Okmai soon...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Game of the decade? Ohh, now thats a tough one. It would be a toss up between Shadow of the Colossus and Half Life i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Game of the decade a difficult one. Off the top of my head Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Baldurs Gate 2(pretty sure that was this decade). Will have to put some thought in to this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ico, no question, one of the most astounding games ever.

There is some talk of the developer, Fumito Ueda, bringing it, together with SOTC, in a remastered two disk set to the PS3, before the release of the new Team Ico game The Last Guardian, after he saw the work done remastering the two PS2 games God of War/2, for the PS3 before the release of God Of War 3.

Now that would be seriously amazing, and worth importing imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There is some talk of the developer, Fumito Ueda, bringing it, together with SOTC, in a remastered two disk set to the PS3, before the release of the new Team Ico game The Last Guardian, after he saw the work done remastering the two PS2 games God of War/2, for the PS3 before the release of God Of War 3.
    If they sort out the shocking frame rate of SotC, then I'll be all over that like a crafty spider!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Now that would be seriously amazing, and worth importing imho
    Great, now i need to go change :P

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im throwing Mario Wii in there even though, I dont own one, or it. Its Mario. I dont need another reason.

L4D2 can lick my balls. Its Still L4D's irst Year. I nominate It.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Dragon age

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Well, it's got to be Guitar Hero 2 doesn't it? The game that defined a genre!

EDIT: (For game of the decade that is, Game of the Year for me is Batman)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    PC - MW 2

:rolleyes:

Dragon Age for GOTY, PC anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

However Half Life 2 put them all together and made it work extremely well. It's a fantastic game but i think there's better.

HL2 is a really strong contender for game of the decade alright. Out of interest, what would you rate better?

As much as I'm not into it, I can see world of warcraft being up there. No one can deny its made an impact in gaming this decade.

Anywas, as for game of there year... well that ones easy:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

My nominations (for now) are:

PS3: Unchartered 2
    Xbox 360: Arkham Asylum

Could all change though. Assassins Creed 2 is yet to come out and I've still to get around to playing MW2 and Forza Motorsport 3.

As for game of the decade maybe Metal Gear Solid 2 for PS2 or Ico. Ico is fcuking fantastic. Was gonna say Goldeneye but it's more than a decade old now at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd take Half-Life 2 over Goldeneye because unlike Goldeneye, Half Life 2 is actually fun to play still.

MGS2 definitely shouldn't get game of the decade especially with the infinitely better MGS3 being around and even then it would probably just miss being in my list.

As for games this decade better than HL2, I've plenty. Metroid Prime, Resi 4, Final Fantasy X, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario Galaxy, Persona 3, Portal, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, possibly Deus Ex (just makes it in at June 2000) if I ever finish it, Gradius V, F-zero GX, Silent Hill 2, Pokemon Gold and Silver, the legend of zelda: Majora's Mask, Osu Tatake Ouendan.

Thats probably not a complete list either.

I'm not saying HL2 is a bad game, it's not even a bad choice for game of the decade but if I was to choose a game that defined an entire decade it would have to be something that took gaming in a totally new direction and showed what the medium was capable of. Therefore I'd really have to give it to something like Shadow of the Colossus, Ico or Majora's mask. The common theme would be how they manage to tell a story but mostly how they can involve the player emotionally through gameplay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding Half Life 2, I know it's a game of legend in these parts, but I actually prefered the original Half Life to it.
    Just, liked the feeling of it, the set pieces, the whole kit and kaboodle really.
    I played it on both PC and PS2 and loved both, a special mention should be made about the excellent and finished, yet never released, Half Life on the Dreamcast, a brilliant conversion as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Regarding Half Life 2, I know it's a game of legend in these parts, but I actually prefered the original Half Life to it.
    Just, liked the feeling of it, the set pieces, the whole kit and kaboodle really.
    I played it on both PC and PS2 and loved both, a special mention should be made about the excellent and finished, yet never released, Half Life on the Dreamcast, a brilliant conversion as well.

I agree with you mate. I much preferred the first Half Life to the second one. I didn't know what to expect with HL so I really enjoyed it immensely and still play it on PC when I get a bit of time off college. Ah memories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to prefer the 1st game to the 2nd but I played them again there recently and I have to say I've changed my mind a bit. I prefer the second one better even if the first had the better and more original set pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

As for games this decade better than HL2, I've plenty. Metroid Prime, Resi 4, Final Fantasy X, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario Galaxy, Persona 3, Portal, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, possibly Deus Ex (just makes it in at June 2000) if I ever finish it, Gradius V, F-zero GX, Silent Hill 2, Pokemon Gold and Silver, the legend of zelda: Majora's Mask, Osu Tatake Ouendan.

If US is getting Strange Journey then its get P3P.

You might have this lingering into the next decade :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If US is getting Strange Journey then its get P3P.

You might have this lingering into the next decade :D

I actually cursed Atlus when they announced P3P - I don't need another 70 hours of my life spent on that damn game! Luckily I'm not commuting this year, otherwise the temptation would've been too much. However, I did cave in when ordering Demon's Souls and pick up the remake of Persona on PSP out of curiosity - yet to start it (nice package - love Persona soundtrack CDs :)). I do think Persona 4 would be my game of the year overall, and strong contender for the decade. I would agree with those suggesting Half-Life 2 though - while not as revolutionary as the first, it still was vastly superior to other FPS in terms of storytelling, pacing and action - and the astonishing engine and much more varied locations knocked it a notch above the original IMO. It took pretty much everything great about the first and made it smoother and newer. Certainly one of the most important games of the decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

uncharted 2 [/thread]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Half-Life 2 for game of the decade easy. Like OMG the first time I played it I almost had a heart attack. I played through it twice in the first weekend and have played it about 5 or 6 times since.

Only game I've done that with. That ignores all the mods that come with the series and the multiplayer and the source engine which has influenced games this entire decade. I don't see how its a contest.

As for game of the year. I haven't played one yet. Uncharted 2 is the closest so far. It might be topped thought but at the moment, its probably my game of the year but its cover system needs improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For Decade Im giving Zone of the Enders 2 the nomination for Best Action Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The Year isn't over yet but based on what I've played so far I'd have to go with Demon's Souls as my game of the year. Already put over 70 hours into this which is insane for me. SF4 (pc and 360) is up there as is Demigod on the PC.

I still have to play more of Dragon age to see how it goes but the random crashes and lockups on the pc aren't exactly helping its cause.

I thought Uncharted 2 would be a major contender but I finished it last night and just couldn't wait to be done with it. Its really good so not sure why I couldn't get into it. Will have to give it another go.

I also have borderlands on the 360 to start but I don't think it will be in there on time.

I know Fort Zombie on the pc is definitely not in my top 10 :p. Played it for a few hours today. Completely unplayable due to bugs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

How about Fail of the Decade? Half-Life 2 could take that one too for "Episodic Gaming". As I sit here wondering when Episode 3 will be released I can't help thinking it's a major fail in terms of what they originally claimed the advantages would be.

Anyway I will ban myself from voting on Game of the Decade since I am PC till I die it means I know no other kind of gaming except keyboard/mouse and it would be a basic tie between Deus Ex and Half-Life 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Goty contenders

PC: Empire: Total War/Dragon Age Origins
    XBOX 360: Batman Arkham Asylum/Forza 3
    PS3: Uncharted 2/Killzone 2

Overall I would have to say Dragon Age is my fav so far.

MW2 is a great game but it's just too short and lacking multi-player features that are taken for granted on all other PC shooters for it to be considered.

As has been mentioned before L4D2 and Assassins Creed 2 have yet to be released and I enjoyed both of their predecessors immensely. I also haven't played Demons Souls so that could be in the running if I ever get round to it.

Forgot to mention plants vs zombies (PC) that game is addictive as heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

sink wrote: »
    Goty contenders

PC: Empire: Total War/Dragon Age Origins
    XBOX 360: Batman Arkham Asylum/Forza 3
    PS3: Uncharted 2/Killzone 2

Overall I would have to say Dragon Age is my fav so far.

MW2 is a great game but it's just too short and lacking multi-player features that are taken for granted on all other PC shooters for it to be considered.

As has been mentioned before L4D2 and Assassins Creed 2 have yet to be released and I enjoyed both of their predecessors immensely. I also haven't played Demons Souls so that could be in the running if I ever get round to it.

Forgot to mention plants vs zombies (PC) that game is addictive as heroin.

Hard to argue with that tbh although i know nothing about PS3 games

Demons Souls on the PS3 for me, it's a pity so few have gotten around to playing it. It's excellent and the online components are so original. Persona 4 pips that though. Not sure what my 360 GotY would be or the Wii one, nothing really stands out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Just cant wait for assassins 2, think it'll be pretty awesome...

Well worth the 40-50 euro..

must get forza 3 and fifa 10 though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Street Fighter 4. 300 hours of gameplay and counting. Can reasonably see that doubling...

... then again I would say that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Street Fighter 4. 300 hours of gameplay and counting. Can reasonably see that doubling...

... then again I would say that :D

I'll admit i thought at first, SF4 was just for little asian kids and the odd nerd here and there...

Then got into it madly and it was Fuggin awesome.

• Advertisement

Thanks Doom. I now realise that my 360 game of the year is Street Fighter 4 :)

Advertisement