Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the Year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Dragon age is the best game i have played this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

Only have a 360. Batman Arkham Asylum is the game of the year for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Heroes of Newerth or Quakelive for PC game of the year.
    probably go for QL because its free and amazing.

Half Life 2 is definitely "game of the decade" but I dunno, you'd need a list of about 10 for proper justice to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Games of the year

Demons Souls: PS3
    Street Fighter IV: PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Everyone knows the real GOTY...

Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Just cant wait for assassins 2, think it'll be pretty awesome...

Well worth the 40-50 euro..

must get forza 3 and fifa 10 though!

FIFA 10 is good but I don't think it's anywhere near game of the year potential. If it had PES' graphics then maybe I'd consider it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Its clearly this game here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought you PC people would be voting Deus Ex and not Half-Life 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Its not like its a cult of some kind :pac:

Personally I never cared for Deus Ex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it's not a cult like the Earthbound fans but they always go to town on me for never having played it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Between these three for DS game of the year. Pokemon Platinum,Chrono Trigger,Scribblenauts.

hl2 is just better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

Been some good games this year, but choosing my GotY was surprisingly not too difficult:

PS3: Uncharted 2. The chasing pack is quite large (inFamous, Killzone 2, Batman: AA and Demon's Souls [if that counts as there's no European release yet] are personal highlights), but U2: AT is a clear winner. From the look (graphics and art design), the action (despite some cover niggles), but mainly the characters, script and voice acting. Something special.

PC: Dragon Age: Origins. More colons, and this isn't even a sequel. Not quite the Baldur's Gate return we were hoping (and promised), but probably the best single player RPG on the PC in a long while. Most other PC titles were a bit lack lustre, though there were some good ports. Dawn of War II was good, but felt more Diablo than DoW. Empire: Total War - I haven't been able to enjoy this due to the campaign bugs. Hearts of Iron III - I've bought it but yet to play it - love these paradox titles but fear the time vortex they produce. Disappointments include Empire: total War and Champions: Online - fun game, but lacking meat on the bone.

Game of the Decade:

Ignoring the technicality that the decade ain't over 'til next year (31st December 2010), there were some classics to choose from. main problem is I didn't own a console for most of the decade - not until the release of the PS3 really (technically I did have an XBox before that but I never used it, and had a very small (and forgettable) game library).

Personally, it would be a choice between Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (Sept 2000), Deus Ex (also Sept 2000) or (and preparing for the undoubted scorn) World of Warcraft. Any game that I play for half the decade (and almost religiously for three years) is doing something right. Or very, very wrong...

Apart from them, some short listers would be Rome: total War and Civilization IV. The latter is only beaten by Wow in game hours over the last ten years.

Console-wise, I've enjoyed the Gods of War series (the Collection is in the post), Ico and Shadow of the Colossus which are all wonderful games, but the time difference between the release and my playing them hasn't entrenched them in my psyche as much as maybe they should. PS3-wise, Uncharted and Uncharted 2 would be contenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Niska wrote: »
    Ignoring the technicality that the decade ain't over 'til next year (31st December 2010),

So would you consider 1990 to be the last year of the 80's?

Anywho, GOTY, for me i dunno. Probably a close one between ODST, Call of Juarez: BiB, Street Fighter 4, & DiRT2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I can't understand how so many people are singing the praises of Half-Life 2. It just wasn't that great a game. It's incredibly linear, offers nothing really new and what little of a storyline there is isn't exactly original. Episode 2 was a better game, despite still having many of HL2's shortcomings.

On the other hand, Deus Ex was a fantastic game. It had an epic storyline that changes (albeit not by much) depending on choices you make and multiple play styles depending on how you wanted to approach situations. When it was released, it was something completely new, and I can't think of anything that's really come close since.

Other Games of the Decade for me would be Thief 2 (I think that just about slips in?), Portal and Baldur's Gate 2. But sure, it's all personaly preference I suppose. I'd throw Pathologic into the mix, but can't imagine anyone else has heard of it. It'd probably make more sense to just have notable games of the decade rather than picking one.

Anyway, back to the topic. Game of The Year for me would be either Dragon Age or Uncharted 2, with a notable mention going to Batman Arkham Asylum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

More so I don't have a high opinion of public votes. There's probably a lot of people too young to even remember the launch of the PS2 in 2001 :)

I'm really not sure what I'd pick but Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime, Resi 4 and Persona 3 would be high up my list. Probably forgetting a load as well.

FFX and IX were in the 2000's also and both would be very high on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

humanji wrote: »
    I can't understand how so many people are singing the praises of Half-Life 2. It just wasn't that great a game. It's incredibly linear, offers nothing really new and what little of a storyline there is isn't exactly original. Episode 2 was a better game, despite still having many of HL2's shortcomings.

On the other hand, Deus Ex was a fantastic game. It had an epic storyline that changes (albeit not by much) depending on choices you make and multiple play styles depending on how you wanted to approach situations. When it was released, it was something completely new, and I can't think of anything that's really come close since.

Other Games of the Decade for me would be Thief 2 (I think that just about slips in?), Portal and Baldur's Gate 2. But sure, it's all personaly preference I suppose. I'd throw Pathologic into the mix, but can't imagine anyone else has heard of it. It'd probably make more sense to just have notable games of the decade rather than picking one.

Anyway, back to the topic. Game of The Year for me would be either Dragon Age or Uncharted 2, with a notable mention going to Batman Arkham Asylum.

In 2004, HL2 was the best game around. Its physics based puzzles and gravity gun had never been seen in a game before. It was a genuine 'HOLY ****!!!' moment when you first got the grav gun. To me, its still one of the finest, if not the finest, game of this decade. You only have to compare it to its biggest competitor at the time, Doom 3, to see jsut how light years ahead it was in terms of gameplay, storytelling & graphics. It still looks good today, and the same engine with some updates looks fantastic in EP2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

0ubliette wrote: »
    So would you consider 1990 to be the last year of the 80's?

It's counter-intuitive, but, yeah it is.

Our dating system (year wise) went from 1 BCE to 1 CE - there was no year 0. So the first decade was 1-10, second 11-20 and so on. Our current decade (201st) is 1st January 2001 (technically beginning of the Third Millennium) - 31st December 2010.

But, as stated, it's counter-intuitive (1980 was not in the Eighties !?). Then again a decade is any concurrent ten years, so as long as there's common consensus, it doesn't really matter. Too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Niska wrote: »
    It's counter-intuitive, but, yeah it is.

Our dating system (year wise) went from 1 BCE to 1 CE - there was no year 0. So the first decade was 1-10, second 11-20 and so on. Our current decade (201st) is 1st January 2001 (technically beginning of the Third Millennium) - 31st December 2010.

But, as stated, it's counter-intuitive (1980 was not in the Eighties !?). Then again a decade is any concurrent ten years, so as long as there's common consensus, it doesn't really matter. Too much.

BCE and CE? most people will look at you silly with that.
    I can not understand it myself as it still takes the date of the Christian calander as its basis. I am not (anymore) a Christian but the rally against all things Christ is a bit much
    Anyway your last bit explains what is going on here

Any hoo back on topic; Retro, there have been some great games recently though. I know that you love Mario Galaxy for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Xbox 360 - Call of duty modern warfare.
    PC - World of warcraft wrath of the lich king / Batman dark asylum

The only three games that took my interest this year which does say alot in my book because I just gave up on buying games that turned out to be ****.

• Advertisement

0ubliette wrote: »
    In 2004, HL2 was the best game around. Its physics based puzzles and gravity gun had never been seen in a game before. It was a genuine 'HOLY ****!!!' moment when you first got the grav gun. To me, its still one of the finest, if not the finest, game of this decade. You only have to compare it to its biggest competitor at the time, Doom 3, to see jsut how light years ahead it was in terms of gameplay, storytelling & graphics. It still looks good today, and the same engine with some updates looks fantastic in EP2

Half-Life 2's main competitors are Episode 1 and 2, though. Episode 2 in particular had better story elements, better level design, better gameplay and though it used the same engine some of the effects were even boosted a little.

It was cool leaving the train station at the start of HL2 and going "Wow! I'm in a huge city!" but then you realise you're in a tiny area with strategic roadblocks everywhere except in the one place you're to go to. They tried putting a few open areas into the game, but didn't put anything in them. The physics in it is great but completely outshone in it's use by it's sequels. HL2 didn't use it as much as it should have. I just see the game as all fur coat and no knickers.

It's strange that you'd mention Doom 3, actually. I'd of thought it had a much better storyline. It's more coherent, and you are constantly given the feeling that you're going against the clock and your actions have a purpose. HL2 told you to go somewhere and never really told you why. You're left with little clue as to what's going on, why it's going on and who's behind it.

But again, as I say it's all down to personal preference. I've heard people saying, for some bizarre reason, that Metal Gear Solid 4 was the game of the decade (but we know they're just plain wrong! :p ).

Any hoo back on topic; Retro, there have been some great games recently though. I know that you love Mario Galaxy for instance

You are right, Super Mario Galaxy is a very strong contender for game of the decade. It might not have the emotional storytelling told through gameplay that I was on about. It has something different. It's probably the purest distillation of what a videogame originally was. I haven't played a game that was as much fun and joyous as Mario Galaxy in the last 10 years and really thats all a videogame needs to be.

To be honest Mario Galaxy is the only game released in the last 2 years that I would consider for the list other than Persona 3 or probably some DS game I'm forgetting. People are very influenced by new releases and are very quick to hold them up as the best game ever. Just look at the releases in the last 2 months. First Arkham Asylum was the supposed best game ever, then it was Uncharted 2's turn to hold the title before Modern Warfare 2 stepped in. When the hype dies down none of those games will be mentioned in the same breath as Super Metroid.

I'm really disappointed to see that System Shock 2 just missed out, being released in August 1999. That would have been a very strong contender as well.

As for FFX and FFIX, they would have been strong contenders except that Persona 3 and 4 are head and shoulders better than any other JRPG, and from what I've heard Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifiers Call is supposed to be way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Definately of the same opinion as yourself regarding 'flavour of the month's posing as games of the decade

Ah, I forgot all about Mario Galaxy. Sadly I never had a Wii so I had to hassle my mates to let me play this. Twas a great game. I might have to pick one up for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

What about developer of the decade? Who has released consistently outstanding games for the past 10 years. I would have to say BioWare, just take a look through their back catalogue.

Baldurs Gate II
    Neverwinter Nights
    Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
    Jade Empire
    Mass Effect
    Dragon Age: Origins

All of them are epic games which can consume your life for weeks on end.

humanji wrote: »

It was cool leaving the train station at the start of HL2 and going "Wow! I'm in a huge city!" but then you realise you're in a tiny area with strategic roadblocks everywhere except in the one place you're to go to. They tried putting a few open areas into the game, but didn't put anything in them. The physics in it is great but completely outshone in it's use by it's sequels. HL2 didn't use it as much as it should have. I just see the game as all fur coat and no knickers.

so because it wasnt this big sand box / GTA type thing it wasnt amazing?
    there is literally nothing wrong with HL2...
    *Music / Sound - amazing
    *Graphics - amazing
    *Atmosphere - amazing (Ravenholm/Prison level/heck, even the very start of the game when you are running from the law.... or was that linear?.. yes it could have been that word that people throw in with no regard as to how it works.....)
    Gameplay - amazing (gravity gun, trains, cars, helicopter chases, tremors + sooo much more)
    Story - hard to say amazing for this, but since it does such a sublime job of recrafting Orwells 1984 into a computer game and still have it make sense with the whole sci-fi and x-files buzz then yeah, it dwells on amazing. most importantly, it suits the game down to the ground - something which 95% of games get wrong (games which try and deal with magnificant and large stories *ahem* Halo series *ahem*)

I dunno, people trying to knock Half Life 2 reminds me of people that would try and knock Man Utd back in the 90s when they were obviously amazing (still scum tho :pac: ). its easy to have a go at whats at the top. Deus Ex was/is still a tip-top game but it doesnt do as much as Half Life 2 did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

ARMA 2 no other game even comes close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I think Tony Hawks pro skater and the sims should definitely be in there... i mean look at how many people play the sims now, and all their expansions... turned out to be amazing.

And id like to say Gran turismo was the best game of all time, because it began the whole series of amazing car games, but that was a few years earlier than the last decade :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Jazzy wrote: »
    so because it wasnt this big sand box / GTA type thing it wasnt amazing?
    there is literally nothing wrong with HL2...
    *Music / Sound - amazing
    *Graphics - amazing
    *Atmosphere - amazing (Ravenholm/Prison level/heck, even the very start of the game when you are running from the law.... or was that linear?.. yes it could have been that word that people throw in with no regard as to how it works.....)
    Gameplay - amazing (gravity gun, trains, cars, helicopter chases, tremors + sooo much more)
    Story - hard to say amazing for this, but since it does such a sublime job of recrafting Orwells 1984 into a computer game and still have it make sense with the whole sci-fi and x-files buzz then yeah, it dwells on amazing. most importantly, it suits the game down to the ground - something which 95% of games get wrong (games which try and deal with magnificant and large stories *ahem* Halo series *ahem*)

I dunno, people trying to knock Half Life 2 reminds me of people that would try and knock Man Utd back in the 90s when they were obviously amazing (still scum tho :pac: ). its easy to have a go at whats at the top. Deus Ex was/is still a tip-top game but it doesnt do as much as Half Life 2 did.

We don't go to Ravenholm.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    What about developer of the decade? Who has released consistently outstanding games for the past 10 years. I would have to say BioWare, just take a look through their back catalogue.

Baldurs Gate II
    Neverwinter Nights
    Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
    Jade Empire
    Mass Effect
    Dragon Age: Origins

All of them are epic games which can consume your life for weeks on end.

Pity I absolutely hate bioware games. Can never get into them. I find the battle system boring and the dialogue inane.

Advertisement