Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the Year

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What i loved about Half Life 2 was how it got the story (and yes, there was one) and character development across without resorting to cut scenes or cgi. Everything was in game, and it felt all the more real for it. From Alex kissing Eli on the forhead, to the G-Man's constant appearence, to Doctor Breen trying to explain why he did what he did, to **MASSIVE EP2 SPOILERS**
    Alex crying over Eli's body after he's killed
    **MASSIVE EP2 SPOILERS**. All brought about a proper sense of atmosphere, that most games cant even get with their fancy cutscenes.

And yes, its linear. But give me a well written game, with great action sequences and set pieces to the vast majority of non-linear games so far released.
    CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Games like FF10 used a mix of pre-rendered high quality CG cut scenes and scripted cut scenes using the in game engine with close ups and lip syncing during talky scenes to tell the story. Just saying HL2 are hardly pioneers unless you restrict the claim to FPS.
    The facial animation in Half Life 2 was far superior to the animation in Final Fantasy X. I loved both games, but Half Life was definitely superior. The intro with G-Man was mind blowing at the time.
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    No sir, it is YOU who is not giving it enough credit. How dare you trod on my memories of crouching behind Alyx and watching her ass as she walked me to Ravenholm.
    Ahh memories :p
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pity I absolutely hate bioware games. Can never get into them. I find the battle system boring and the dialogue inane.
    You should really try to get into Baldur's Gate II at the very least. I know the combat can be boring for some people (i love it though), but it has a fantastic story that i would rate up there with the best of them. Also one of the best written 'bad guys' ever, in Irenicus. Super game.
    Leprachaun wrote: »
    Mortal Online 'should' be out in December
    While i'm hopeful that it will be out then, I'll believe it when i see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kiith wrote: »
    The facial animation in Half Life 2 was far superior to the animation in Final Fantasy X. I loved both games, but Half Life was definitely superior.

Half-Life 2 didn't convey emotion as well as FFX. There's nothing as well acted and heart felt as this scene in Half-Life 2 :)

As for Baldurs Gate 2 I'm not sure. I might go back to it but I think I'll have Fallout 1 and 2 and Planetscape Torment as my first tastes of WRPGs.

Damn work proxy blocking youtube. I'll look at whatever you posted later.
    As for Baldurs Gate 2 I'm not sure. I might go back to it but I think I'll have Fallout 1 and 2 and Planetscape Torment as my first tastes of WRPGs.
    Definitely a good idea. Amazingly well written game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Half-Life 2 didn't convey emotion as well as FFX. There's nothing as well acted and heart felt as this scene in Half-Life 2 :)

sarcasm detector on overload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Kiith wrote: »
    While i'm hopeful that it will be out then, I'll believe it when i see it.

I was doubtful too but today's update seems to suggest they're still in course for a december release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I nominate Wii Fit, game of the decade!

No other game I can think of, has encouraged girls to shake their booty and started a trend of posting the vids on youtube.

Work Disclaimer: Girls in underwear playing Wii fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 didierkalou

Wat bout fifa 10.....brilliant game....great graphics nd al rond great game.....

My heart is breaking :P
    Leprachaun wrote: »
    I was doubtful too but today's update seems to suggest they're still in course for a december release.
    Today's update? I can't see anything on the official site. Is it beta news, i.e. still under the nda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wat bout fifa 10.....brilliant game....great graphics nd al rond great game.....

Any chance You could post in English, we're all grown ups, text speak doesn't go down well here

Advertisement