Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have banjaxed my Netopia router!

Options
  • 13-11-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

I had it working OK but couldn't connect my itouch. I tried to change from WEP to WPA thinking itouch might prefer this and now cannot access through the 192.168.1.254 command.
    My landlord has a netopia router as well and when I type in the above IP address I get his eircom SSID, not mine.
    I am allowed use his, but its too slow, hence having my own which I had flying for 24 hours before trying to hook up my apple toy. (WEP security)
    I have an ethernet cable in router to laptop and get "acquiring an IP address" followed by "Limited connectivity" message. Am i beyond help, or can I win back control over my router ?
    thanks in advance.

Oh, and I now know I should have read the sticky in here first !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Are you wired or wireless. I cant access my router on 192.168.1.254 if I am wireless sometimes. Plug in a network cable and see if you can access then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭jacool

I can get google with the ethernet cable attached, but its wireless I'm after.
    I had it on Thursday fine but ruined it and now can't see my own router, even with the cable plugged in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Best thing to do is to set up your wireless again.

With the ethernet cable attached go http://192.168.1.254 and go into your wireless settings - give you wireless network a new name and dont set up any security for the start. Now apply your new settings and see if the laptop will see the network. If it goes go back into the settings and apply wpa security (never wep!) apply your new setting and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Your far from fubar believe me. It looks like you might have a bit of a conflict with a similar setup in the landlords wireless. Follow dub45 advice and set up the wireless network with setting s you know. It may also be helpful to change the IP range of your wireless network so it's easier to distinguish your network from others. You always have to keep the 192.168 part but change the 3rd set to 2 instead of 1 so you'll have 192.168.2.xx. This tiny change will ensure your working on a completely separate network from your neighbor change your ssid to something unique as well. It just looks like theres some crossover from similar eircom networks and those steps will ensure you can tell the difference between the networks.

You may want to reset your router a few times, this will reset it back to it's factory defaults so you should know what they are. I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm posting drunk.

Reseting your router should give you a standard to work off so you should always know what the default settings of your router are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Limited Connectivity usually means(for me anyway) you have entered the wrong password on your ipod while trying to connect to the router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement