Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Midseason Awards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Great blog,

I agree with Manning ( being a Colts fan ) but Brady coming back from that injury and throwing 5 TD passes in 1 quarter deserves a mention as well.

On the rookie i think Collie deserved a mention as well, ok he has an amazing QB delivering the ball to him. But he has stepped up after the loss of Gonzalez and Marlon as well.

Josh McDaniels has really suprised me to be honest. Oh and the Titana have suprised me.....that they are soooo bad.

Giants have me scratching my head at the mo, last sunday really left me feeling rather odd.

The rest of the season should be interesting, Colts may well be going well but with all the defence injuries and the Pats up next........

Farve in the SB is what every fan would like to see, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well Jarius Byrd has been far and away the best rookie so far this season.

I wouldn't have argued with Peyton Manning two weeks ago but he has been very average the last two games. For me the MVP is another Colt and thats their TE Dallas Clark.

eagle eye wrote: »

I wouldn't have argued with Peyton Manning two weeks ago but he has been very average the last two games. For me the MVP is another Colt and thats their TE Dallas Clark.

Dallas is a legend, played very well last week with important catches in the 4th quarter.

Remember Manning is throwing to a very inexperienced group of WR ( apart from Reggie ), Brady has Moss......that makes him look better than he plays sometimes.

Why are we talking about Brady?

But since you bring it up. Peyton has Reggie and Dallas. Brady has Welker and Moss.

We are struggling to find a third WR at the moment. At the present time we are using Sam Aiken, a ST's veteran as our no.3.

For me Dallas Clark has been awesome this season. He has 703 yards receiving and 3 tds and he is a great blocker as well. Without him I don't think Manning would be having anywhere close to the year he is having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Dallas is a legend, played very well last week with important catches in the 4th quarter.

Remember Manning is throwing to a very inexperienced group of WR ( apart from Reggie ), Brady has Moss......that makes him look better than he plays sometimes.

Clark's on pace to shatter any TE's receiving record afaik. He's a joy to watch.
    Why are we talking about Brady?

But since you bring it up. Peyton has Reggie and Dallas. Brady has Welker and Moss.

We are struggling to find a third WR at the moment. At the present time we are using Sam Aiken, a ST's veteran as our no.3.

For me Dallas Clark has been awesome this season. He has 703 yards receiving and 3 tds and he is a great blocker as well. Without him I don't think Manning would be having anywhere close to the year he is having.

Brady doesn't deserve more recognition over Manning despite the fact he's done superb to get us to where we are now and for him to come back from such an injury.

• Advertisement

Clark's on pace to shatter any TE's receiving record afaik. He's a joy to watch..

Yeah i ordered my #44 a few weeks ago and waiting for it to arrive.

Yeah i ordered my #44 a few weeks ago and waiting for it to arrive.

Lucky man. :)

Wearing my #87 at the mo:cool:

Wearing my #87 at the mo:cool:

If only I had my Pats #12 in hand. ;)

#18 goes on tonight.......a leisure filled friday evening:D

• Advertisement

Brady doesn't deserve more recognition over Manning despite the fact he's done superb to get us to where we are now and for him to come back from such an injury.
    Why are you bringing this up. We were talking about the MVP at this stage of the season. I didn't bring up Brady, somebody else said that Manning is working with a lesser group of receivers and that Moss makes Brady look better than he is sometimes.

I didn't respond to that comment at all, I just mentioned that as far as receivers go both have 2 top notch players to throw to.

I'm not interested in a Brady/Manning debate right now.

My sole points in this thread are that Jarius Byrd has been the outstanding rookie this season and that Dallas Clark is the MVP this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Great blog,

I agree with Manning ( being a Colts fan ) but Brady coming back from that injury and throwing 5 TD passes in 1 quarter deserves a mention as well.

On the rookie i think Collie deserved a mention as well, ok he has an amazing QB delivering the ball to him. But he has stepped up after the loss of Gonzalez and Marlon as well.

Josh McDaniels has really suprised me to be honest. Oh and the Titana have suprised me.....that they are soooo bad.

Giants have me scratching my head at the mo, last sunday really left me feeling rather odd.

The rest of the season should be interesting, Colts may well be going well but with all the defence injuries and the Pats up next........

Farve in the SB is what every fan would like to see, i think.

Thanks! Brady didn't come out at the start of the season 'firing on all cylinders' as the cliché goes, but he has certainly improved dramatically and is now playing on a level that is very similar to that which threw 50 touchdowns and led the Pats to 18-0.

The Giants are having no luck at all at the moment. Losing four in a row is not something that should happen with the roster Big Blue has at it's disposal. Eli Manning hasn't been playing too badly but the decreased production from Jacobs is certainly affecting his game. That and that plantar fasciitis, I think, coincides with the Giants recent run of poor form.

Jarius Byrd is definitely up there as one of the rookies of the year. I gave it to Harvin because of his overall effect on the team's fortunes. He has changed the way they play football. They are far from the one dimensional offense that they have been since drafting Adrian Peterson.

The thing about the MVP award is that it almost exclusively is given to the high profile positions and even more usually to quarterbacks. Dallas Clark's numbers have been incredible for this season. He's offering Peyton the short option which he often develops into a big play. Clark for Offensive Player of the Season?

The thing is that Sidney Rice has been a revelation this season, he has more yards already now than he had in his first two seasons. Also their TE Shiancoe has been very good this year too and then there is Berrian too. Its not Harvin that has woken up the passing game for them, rather its been Brett Favre.

Why are you bringing this up. We were talking about the MVP at this stage of the season. I didn't bring up Brady, somebody else said that Manning is working with a lesser group of receivers and that Moss makes Brady look better than he is sometimes.

I didn't respond to that comment at all, I just mentioned that as far as receivers go both have 2 top notch players to throw to.

I'm not interested in a Brady/Manning debate right now.

I'm not asking for a debate. You gave your opinion and I gave mine on it. Just elaborating on your point.

The thing is that Sidney Rice has been a revelation this season, he has more yards already now than he had in his first two seasons. Also their TE Shiancoe has been very good this year too and then there is Berrian too. Its not Harvin that has woken up the passing game for them, rather its been Brett Favre.

That's quite a good point.

Harvin is a great options player, catch, run, return etc.

But Sidney Rice and Visante Shiancoe have more receptions and yards. 37 and 22 receptions respectively. Rice's on over 500 yards. Bernard Berrian has 27 grabs too. They open it up for Harvin and Favre opens up the hole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

That's quite a good point.

Harvin is a great options player, catch, run, return etc.

But Sidney Rice and Visante Shiancoe have more receptions and yards. 37 and 22 receptions respectively. Rice's on over 500 yards. Bernard Berrian has 27 grabs too. They open it up for Harvin and Favre opens up the hole game.

Granted Rice and Shiancoe have been productive but the explosivity and versatility offered by Harvin has played on the mind's of opposing teams. He plays in the slot, out wide, as a wildcat quarterback as well as special teams. 5 touchdowns in 8 games is a great tally for a rookie.

RichTea wrote: »
    Granted Rice and Shiancoe have been productive but the explosivity and versatility offered by Harvin has played on the mind's of opposing teams. He plays in the slot, out wide, as a wildcat quarterback as well as special teams. 5 touchdowns in 8 games is a great tally for a rookie.

Defintely but Rice and Shiancoe assist Harvin and he's been explosive for a rookie. He's very multi-dimensional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

I cant see how Chris Johnson isn't being mentioned in terms of MVP!, Despite his teams poor showing on defence/at QB, he holds the following in his favour

*Leads the NFL in yards rushing and yards from scrimmage and has an edge of more than 100 yards in each category

*His 6.7 yards per carry average is the highest through nine weeks of the season since the merger in 1970, and is better than legends Barry Sanders and OJ in teh years they led the league in rushing

* CJ is on a pace not only to challenge Earl Campbell's franchise record of 1,934 yards in 1980, but possibly reaching the magic 2,000 yards

* Have you SEEN a defensve back try to catch him in a foot race?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Nice blog post...only thing I don't agree with is the honourable mention for Michael Oher. When you draft a left tackle in the first round, you expect him to be a franchise guy, but he hasn't really shown that to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He has played right tackle, Ravens already have a great left tackle in Jared Gaither. And when Gaither got injured, Michael Oher did a fine job at left tackle, especially against Jared Allen and the Vikings pass rush.

As for this thread, I'd go along with Percy Harvin being the most impressive rookie, in my opinion anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I cant see how Chris Johnson isn't being mentioned in terms of MVP!

This is why:

http://www.nfl.com/standings

When your team is 2-6, how valuable are you really? 2 wins? Come on....

I will agree with you he is having an outstanding season, one of the best in a long time - and I am an Adrian Peterson fan boy so thats saying a lot.

But the MVP award he should not win - if the Titans get to the playoffs on the back on CJ's numbers then by all means he would be deserving but right now, not a chance.

Most Valuable Player - these are the players that win you games. I'll stand firm with my opinion that no matter how good you are at your position, if your team ain't winning then you don't deserve the award.

I mentioned the standings in my post, and i acknowledge that that could keep him from winning it overall, but to not even be mentioned in the running after the outstanding season he's having. Surely the MVP award should be about individual achievement to a large degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Best way to look at the MVP award when you look at the NFL.

Team MVP: The guy who makes the difference on your team. The guy who puts up huge number etc etc We all know this as its pretty much the same as player of the year. Titans MVP Chris Johnson.

NFL MVP: Now look at the NFL as one big team. Is Chris Johnson now the Most Valuable Player? The guy making the difference and winning games? Sure he is putting up numbers but in a run heavy offense due to a bad passing game and a fair few long runs but he definitely isn't making the difference.

It would be crazy to award the MVP to a guy who truly isn't making a difference to the teams performance because as Vikings said they are 2-6. There are other guys making the difference and this is the reason Johnson wont be up their when League MVP is mentioned.

This is the way I would see it to be honest. Don't get me wrong he is a very good player but not worthy of the League MVP based on the season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

This might be a bit out of left field for defensive rookie of the year but I think Brian Orakpo has done a good job for a poor 'Skins team with 6 sacks and should get some consideration along with Brian Cushing, Jairus Byrd (my own fav for the award) and James Laurinaitis who when he came out many draftnicks questioned him but has been terrific as the Rams mike linebacker from day one

Best way to look at the MVP award when you look at the NFL.

Team MVP: The guy who makes the difference on your team. The guy who puts up huge number etc etc We all know this as its pretty much the same as player of the year. Titans MVP Chris Johnson.

NFL MVP: Now look at the NFL as one big team. #1 Is Chris Johnson now the Most Valuable Player? The guy making the difference and winning games? Sure he is putting up numbers but #2 in a run heavy offense due to a bad passing game and a fair few long runs but he definitely isn't making the difference.

#3. It would be crazy to award the MVP to a guy who truly isn't making a difference to the teams performance because as Vikings said they are 2-6. There are other guys making the difference and this is the reason Johnson wont be up their when League MVP is mentioned.

This is the way I would see it to be honest. Don't get me wrong he is a very good player but not worthy of the League MVP based on the season so far.

1. He is the most valuable tailback anyway, this is amply backed up by stats

2. This implies he has been laden with carries. Johnson is only 10th in attempts, yet leads rushing yards by more than 100, so he has hardly been saturated with carries like Benson for example, ( to put it into perspective, Forte only has 1 less attempt than Johnson for his 482 yards)

3. How can it be argued he hasn't made a difference to the team's performance?, he IS the team's offensive performance!, What more could any other back have possibly done to improve their W-L stats

I know the award will go to Manning if the Colts go far or another Qb in similar situation, i just feel CJ gets overlooked alot

1. He is the most valuable tailback anyway, this is amply backed up by stats.

Very True I would Agree with you.
    2. This implies he has been laden with carries. Johnson is only 10th in attempts, yet leads rushing yards by more than 100, so he has hardly been saturated with carries like Benson for example, ( to put it into perspective, Forte only has 1 less attempt than Johnson for his 482 yards)

Yes but the Titans offense isn't on the field that often due to turnovers and when it is they run more because they fail so badly at passing the ball. This means when the offense is on the field the majority of the plays will be to Johnson. Doesn't mean he will get more carries than other backs in successful offenses around the league. Just means the Titans hand it off more than passing.
    3. How can it be argued he hasn't made a difference to the team's performance?, he IS the team's offensive performance!, What more could any other back have possibly done to improve their W-L stats

I know the award will go to Manning if the Colts go far or another Qb in similar situation, i just feel CJ gets overlooked alot

But he hasn't you could pound your running back all day and get a 100 yard game and a pair of TDs doesnt mean he is improving the team just means its all the team have. And right now the Titans only have Johnson. He isn't improving them to any extent. Sure individually he is getting his carries and his yards and is doing well for himself but that is it.

Lets not forget 200 yards of his 959 yards are long runs of 91 and 89 yard runs sure awesome running by him but it will make his stats look alot healtier than normal. He has also had other 4 long runs of 30+. Hence why he has less carries also.

Again he is awesome right now but not a League MVP tis my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Lets not forget 200 yards of his 959 yards are long runs of 91 and 89 yard runs sure awesome running by him but it will make his stats look alot healtier than normal. He has also had other 4 long runs of 30+. Hence why he has less carries also.

Again he is awesome right now but not a League MVP tis my opinion.

He's in the running for offensive POY not MVP. In a similer vein to you Tallaght the Titans were out of contention for the playoffs from week 6, and at best can finish at .500, that record wont win an MVP. I cant think of too many players except Barry Sanders who won an MVP(co-mvp in 97 i think) when their team didnt make the playoffs and it wont change this year

frostie500 wrote: »
    He's in the running for offensive POY not MVP. In a similer vein to you Tallaght the Titans were out of contention for the playoffs from week 6, and at best can finish at .500, that record wont win an MVP. I cant think of too many players except Barry Sanders who won an MVP(co-mvp in 97 i think) when their team didnt make the playoffs and it wont change this year

Yup defo he is a shoe in for the Offensive POY at this point for sure. Top 5 anyways.

Irony of our Chris Johnson Discussion look at his numbers today. Had the titans played like this all season long Johnson would be in the playoffs and well on his way for making a case for MVP. Watching the game Young is getting protection and using his strengths i.e Chris Johnson :D

• Advertisement

Yup defo he is a shoe in for the Offensive POY at this point for sure. Top 5 anyways.

Definitely, another 100 rushing and 100 receiving yards today, another level

Advertisement