Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the government will save one billion per year relatively painlessly...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

parsi wrote: »
    I heard of a few shopkeepers who bough tranches of shares in cash every month . This was obviously nice handy under-the-counter cash that never was sniffed out by the Revenue..
    How did you hear of these " few shopkeepers " private financial affairs ?
    How do you know the shares were bought with "handy under-the-counter cash ". Why not report them to the Renenue if so ?
    How do you know they were never snifed out by the Revenue ?
    parsi wrote: »
    Another way we could save money is to go and strip every developer of all his assets and his wifes assets and his kids assets and check their offshore bank accounts very closely.
    How would " striping every developer of all his assets and his wifes assets and his kids assets" save money, given than not a cent of government expenditure is going in to the poxckets of same ? They are not on the public service pension gravy train and never will be, much and all as they would like to be.

You mean allpw the government to break any contract it no longer wishes to honour?

The government is bust and cannot afford to keep paying its public service + their retired public servants as much as they want.

When the young "average but not very bright fellow" left school in 79 and joined the Gardai, it was not in his contract he could retire in 2009 with a pension pot worth 1.3 million euro. Otherwise every school leaver then would have joined the Guards ! :D:D:D:D:D Even those who were bright at school and who studied hard.;)

30,000 to 40,000 should be enough of a yearly pension for anyone, given the state of public finances. If the govt restricted pension renumeration to its own employees to 30 to 40k a year, it will save the country borrowing a billion each and every year....4 billion over 4 years for example. Think of the interest saved by our children + grandchildren in not having to pay the interest on these borrowings.....they will have enough other govt debt to try to pay the interest on.

Shame on those public service people who expect the rest of us to continue borrowing a billion a year to give them a pension renumeration bigger than 30,000 or 40,000 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I just stumbled on this thread and something struck me. What does this guy Jimmmy do?

He seems to spend all day online complaining about the public servants he's paying for. How is he paying for them? He couldn't possibly be working.

He seems to spend all day online complaining about the public servants he's paying for. .
    There are 168 hours a week. Maybe I work when not posting ? Or I could work in a seasonal industry ? Or I could be retired but still paying tax ?
    Or I could be self employed but chosing to spend my time as I do. Or I could be disabled but still pay tax. Its really none of your business.
    How is he paying for them?
    That is my business. I pay and have paid income tax, vat etc etc etc...and who are you to say I have not paid c.g.t, stamp duty, c.a.t, vrt etc.
    I do not make personal attacks against public service posters who post on this board on a very regular basis during office hours;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

jimmmy wrote: »
    I pay and have paid income tax, vat etc etc etc...and who are you to say I have not paid c.g.t, stamp duty, c.a.t, vrt etc.

:eek: A public sector worker pays them too :eek: surely you aren't one of them? ;)

EF wrote: »
    :eek: A public sector worker pays them too :eek: surely you aren't one of them? ;)

I can assure you I have send a lot more cheques to the government, for a lot more money, than the government ever paid me.;)

Now, back to the thread...." How the government will save one billion per year relatively painlessly..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

jimmmy wrote: »
    I can assure you I have send a lot more cheques to the government, for a lot more money, than the government ever paid me.;)

[/I]

Actually, I've no reason to believe that.

I know 2 things about you:

1. You have a massive chip on your shoulder.
    2. You have a lot of time on your hands.

That's about it. You can come on here and rant and rave all you want and throw out your sweeping generalisations but at the end of the day you're just some guy who does nothing all day but sit at a computer mouthing off.

Why anybody responds to your rabid nonsense is another question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Actually, I've no reason to believe that.

I know 2 things about you:

1. You have a massive chip on your shoulder.
    2. You have a lot of time on your hands.

That's about it. You can come on here and rant and rave all you want and throw out your sweeping generalisations but at the end of the day you're just some guy who does nothing all day but sit at a computer mouthing off.

Why anybody responds to your rabid nonsense is another question...

i know one thing about you , you confuse opinion with fact

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Goo duggestion by the OP! I would be someone who would be very against the PS and the gravy train! but I do have sympathy for the frontliners or admin staff etc that are on 25 - 30k a year! a world apart from alot of the PS! Instead of pay cuts, why not get rid of the lump sum payment entirely, who will be getting it? staff who have probably paid off their mortgage years ago and have no dependants! when you think they have creamed it off for years, benefitted from the boom! they already have their ridiculous pension, and on top of that they get a lump sum, that will either sit in their saving account till they die, or be given to their sons or daughters or completely wasted? while their colleagues struggling to get by, and I do believe some in the lowed paid PS struggle to get by (I do listen to both sides of the arguaments)! I think that ridiculous lump sum payment should go before everyone gets hit, and the only ones I actually care about that are taking or will take the hit in the PS are the ones that cant afford it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Goo duggestion by the OP! I would be someone who would be very against the PS and the gravy train! but I do have sympathy for the frontliners or admin staff etc that are on 25 - 30k a year! a world apart from alot of the PS! Instead of pay cuts, why not get rid of the lump sum payment entirely, who will be getting it? staff who have probably paid off their mortgage years ago and have no dependants! when you think they have creamed it off for years, benefitted from the boom! they already have their ridiculous pension, and on top of that they get a lump sum, that will either sit in their saving account till they die, or be given to their sons or daughters or completely wasted? while their colleagues struggling to get by, and I do believe some in the lowed paid PS struggle to get by (I do listen to both sides of the arguaments)! I think that ridiculous lump sum payment should go before everyone gets hit, and the only ones I actually care about that are taking or will take the hit in the PS are the ones that cant afford it!

guards and nurses average 50 k per year , where are you getting 25 - 30 k from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

irish_bob wrote: »
    guards and nurses average 50 k per year , where are you getting 25 - 30 k from

50 grand average for nurses? Would love a link for that please.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    50 grand average for nurses? Would love a link for that please.
    Thanks to another poster for these links etc:
    http://www.ino.ie/DesktopModules/Art...=3625&mid=6977

Also added allowances
    http://www.ino.ie/DesktopModules/Art...=4680&mid=6977

and

http://www.ino.ie/DesktopModules/Art...=4681&mid=6977

And as was pointed out by someone else " double pay for working Sundays as part of your normal working week and an extra payment for working Saturday. "

Other links on boards in the past have shown the Gardai on an average of 60k a year. So frontline staff are not badly paid by any means. Bear in mind average industrial wage in the worlds superpower economy, the US of A, where many an Irish person went to in order to get better paid jobs in the past, is only 41,000 dollars a year ...ie about 27,500 euro.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Instead of pay cuts, why not get rid of the lump sum payment entirely, who will be getting it? staff who have probably paid off their mortgage years ago and have no dependants! when you think they have creamed it off for years, benefitted from the boom! they already have their ridiculous pension, and on top of that they get a lump sum, that will either sit in their saving account till they die, or be given to their sons or daughters or completely wasted? while their colleagues struggling to get by, and I do believe some in the lowed paid PS struggle to get by (I do listen to both sides of the arguaments)! I think that ridiculous lump sum payment should go before everyone gets hit, and the only ones I actually care about that are taking or will take the hit in the PS are the ones that cant afford it!
    thank you. I agree the retiring / retired public servants are way more overpaid than some of the younger public servants who may be struggling with a mortgage / kids / unemployed partner etc.

Advertisement