Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA match (few pics)

• 13-11-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

My first sports adventure.....
    I took my (humble) camera and an old 100-300mm lens to a GAA game last weekend. As you can imagine it was tough to get 'good' sports photos, ie. ISO 200/400 and a 'manual focus' lens (@ f5.6). I didn't have much hope for any keepers but (while they couldn't match the quality of a top class camera, say shooting 8 frames per sec, and a 300mm or 400mm f2.8 lens) they're not 'too' bad ! :eek::rolleyes: Also note, I didn't shoot frames per second, I just tried to capture the action as it happened with one shot !
    Your thoughts......

Jump....

BD683D4E9FB94B47B8C7FB106355EB52-800.jpg

Jump 2....

D1A9C36C2C61434B9A97F9DA73F5DD16-500.jpg

A blind catch........

A94825F89DDF40BC8003221F9880CD89-500.jpg

All eyes on the ball.....

71934235A71341CD81CB23C725B9DCE5-500.jpg

Riverdance....

ABD526E90C8348E88B87CA19C3619B31-500.jpg

Handbags.....

936482CF24014CD8837EC4D2F2437AD0-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Some really nice captures there M (that's your new name :D)

- Jump: Good capture, but it's unfortunately focused on the front 2 as opposed to the action. Draws the eye a bit

- Jump 2: Not bad, but not doing an awful lot for me. Although, it does signify a lot of catch attempts in GAA and what really happens!

- A blind catch: Now this photo is excellent. Both the blind catch, and yer mans expression on the ground. Really well caught.

- All eyes on the ball: It's too far away. I want to be in the action, and feel like I'm in the ruck with the lads. But looks like this was a lens reach issue as opposed to composition!

- Riverdance: Doesn't do much for me I'm afraid

- Handbags: Well caught, a lot of expressions going on if you look closely at the photo. I really really want to see their feet though!

All round it's an excellent effort considering it was a 1 shot effort for most of it!. A blind catch would be a keeper. Very good capture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My first sports adventure.....
    I took my (humble) camera and an old 100-300mm lens to a GAA game last weekend. As you can imagine it was tough to get 'good' sports photos, ie. ISO 200/400 and a 'manual focus' lens (@ f5.6). I didn't have much hope for any keepers but (while they couldn't match the quality of a top class camera, say shooting 8 frames per sec, and a 300mm or 400mm f2.8 lens) they're not 'too' bad ! :eek::rolleyes: Also note, I didn't shoot frames per second, I just tried to capture the action as it happened with one shot !
    Your thoughts......

And everyone says that sports photography is easy. :rolleyes:

So, a few assumptions - you were shooting from the stands?

Not a bad attempt.

Personally, I like #1 the best. The last 2 images don't do much for me at all though.

Now, just a matter of some more practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Thanks lads.
    you were shooting from the stands?
    yep, forgot to mention that. I was gonna go out onto the pitch, but I was enjoying the 'craic' in the stand. I did see a sports phototog on the pitch, (probably Des Barry >Irish Examiner) and he had a bazooka of a lens :eek:
    Now, just a matter of some more practice
    ....yeah, but maybe with a Oly E3 and a 300mm lens :D

The experience was worth it though, although I'd much prefer an auto focus lens. On that note do ye sports phototog's get many out of focus (at the critical point) shots ?

On that note do ye sports phototog's get many out of focus (at the critical point) shots ?

The poorer the light, the more OOF images I get. This tends to be because the AF system has a harder time finding a focus lock.

But, in general, I'd find a very low rate of OOF images at a game, unless someone runs across the plane of focus during the action and throws the focus out.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

Good shots, hard to do, especially in less than ideal light.

• Advertisement

Good shots, hard to do, especially in less than ideal light.

That light is brilliant, especially compared to what I'm used to shooting under. Tolka Park the other night ... well .. an experience.

Advertisement