Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Raid Siren

Options
  • 13-11-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I just heard what sounded like an air raid siren down near the Claddagh area. It's not the first time I've heard it, seems to go off randomly every now and then. I think it might be something to do with the fire station there, anyone know anything more about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

It's an alarm test in the Fire Brigade station. Used to be every Monday at about mid day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

The oil depot down behind the Harbour Hotel have one too, it has to be tested once a week down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The one you just heard is located down the Docks/Oil Tanks, tested every week or so. Aparantly it's incase the oil tanks ever catch fire and you hear that thing repeatedly go off... run in the opposite direction of the tanks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

It obviously still works pretty well, I just heard it in Westside.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I hear it all the time, given that I live on docks street....at this stage if it ever went off for reals i'd involuntarily ignore it assuming it was just the usual tester :P I wonder how long it would take for me to cop on if something bad actually did happen! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Mactard wrote: »
    I wonder how long it would take for me to cop on if something bad actually did happen! :pac:

Several fire trucks flying past your house maybe? :p

I'm sure there must be some tourists around that have a half-panicked wtf :eek: moment when they hear it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I hear this siren wailing every now and again and when I tell anyone about it they think I'm crazy/talking bull.
    I do remember a sign up at the docks (not sure if it's still there) saying if your hear a siren, to leave the area immediately so I assumed it was something to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Back in school, people used to dive under the desks screaming "the bombers are coming!" :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I always hear that and I've been wondering for ages what it is. Whenever I mention it to people they think I've gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

moonflower wrote: »
    Whenever I mention it to people they think I've gone mad

Same here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

I used to think it was the poor claires looking for food.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Yep I hear it every so often.I always thought it was something to do with helicopters.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

muffinman wrote: »
    I used to think it was the poor claires looking for food.. :o

I lol'd hard

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bluevoice

Just heard it again, a couple minutes ago.

When I was a little kid my dad was a volunteer fireman - that sound meant he'd grab his gear and run out of the house full tilt day or night. Then, when I lived in Hawaii it meant possible tidal wave, clear the beaches - it still gives me a little adrenaline rush whenever I hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

They're doing a lot of testing then! I just heard it too (half six) near Rahoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Weird, today is the first day in ages I've noticed it and now this thread has come back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Yup, up near Rahoon and heard it go off, it has been a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Its the fog horn on the boats out on the bay . make sence .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

teepee wrote: »
    Its the fog horn on the boats out on the bay . make sence .:D

Have heard the fog horns many times, but this was quite a different sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

There was a very loud alarm/siren going off beside Lidl today around 5pm... louder than any security alarm I've ever heard anyway...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

bluevoice wrote: »
    Just heard it again, a couple minutes ago.

When I was a little kid my dad was a volunteer fireman - that sound meant he'd grab his gear and run out of the house full tilt day or night. Then, when I lived in Hawaii it meant possible tidal wave, clear the beaches - it still gives me a little adrenaline rush whenever I hear it!

I think it's for volunteer and part time firemen. They must live (corect me if I'm wrong) within a certain radius, just say 2KM of the station. If they are on-call and they hear the siren they grab there boots and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Starie1975 wrote: »
    I think it's for volunteer and part time firemen. They must live (corect me if I'm wrong) within a certain radius, just say 2KM of the station. If they are on-call and they hear the siren they grab there boots and run.
    It's 0.75 mile

That siren is from the Docks, they test it at certain intervals. I've said this before... It's incase there's ever an emergency down the docks ie. tanks catching fire. If you hear it sounding for a LONGGGGG time, run like fcuk in the opposite direction of the docks

PS. It sounds nothing like a fog horn, it's more of a 'wind-up, wind'down' horn

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

GalKiefer wrote: »
    Several fire trucks flying past your house maybe? :p
    That's the signal to get back in the delorian, your in the wrong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

What's really scary is that I live 1.5 blocks back from the docks, but have NEVER been aware of hearing this siren - and I've been at home a lot in the last 12 months. :eek:

Either I'm just so used to noise that I tune it out ... or it doesn't penetrate buildings very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Its good to throw a cursory look into the sky for the Luftwaffe now and again. Keeps you sane

Advertisement