Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping near Macgillycuddy's Reeks

Options
  • 13-11-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello all,

First of all my apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place (I've never seen a forum as huge as this one before!:eek:).

I'm planning a walking trip to the Macgillycuddy's Reeks in June/July 2010 for myself and a few mates. We're all accomplished walkers having done many mountains in Snowdonia, the Lake District and the Scottish Highlands and now fancy visiting Ireland's spectacular mountains. We'll be camping (tents) but what I'd like is suggestions as to which campsites would be best for us. Obviously it's important not to be too far from a good pub!;)

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

You can camp in and around the reeks if you want. As far as I know this is allowed. Google the "Hags Glen" This is the glen at the foot of Caurantoohill. I've seen people camp there before. Nearest pub would be Kate Kearneys cottage.

If you are looking for a proper campsite there a few in "FOSSA", just outside Killarney. It is about a 15 minute drive from the main starting points for the reeks.

Also I'll recommend one book. This will give you a good guide to everything you need to know.

http://www.collinspress.ie/products.asp?id=17

Carrauntoohil & MacGillycuddy's Reeks
    A Walking Guide to Ireland's Highest Mountains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Peakbagger

Thanks for the reply Bill!:)

We're looking to use a campsite rather than wildcamp (I don't really have the right gear for wildcamping) so I'll look at the Fossa area to see what's there. And thanks for the book recommendation, I'll certainly order a copy as that looks ideal for planning our walks.

What are the OSi maps like for the area? I've heard that they're not all that great. I see that Harvey's do a Superwalker for the Reeks which pleases me as they're my mapping of choice, but does it cover the whole of the Reeks range? I know what Harvey's are like for finishing their map coverage a little prematurely, take the Glencoe map for example...:rolleyes:

Thanks again for your helpful advice!:)

Peakbagger wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Bill!:)

We're looking to use a campsite rather than wildcamp (I don't really have the right gear for wildcamping) so I'll look at the Fossa area to see what's there. And thanks for the book recommendation, I'll certainly order a copy as that looks ideal for planning our walks.

Just checked, that book is available for half the price on thebookdepository.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Get the Harvey's map, definitely ... far superior to the OSi offerings. You can see the coverage on their website at http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/Ireland.html, plus there's a 1:15k insert covering just the summit area, just where on the 1:50k OSi map there's a load of writing obscuring the whole thing :(

• Advertisement

Peakbagger wrote: »
    What are the OSi maps like for the area? I've heard that they're not all that great. I see that Harvey's do a Superwalker for the Reeks which pleases me as they're my mapping of choice, but does it cover the whole of the Reeks range? I know what Harvey's are like for finishing their map coverage a little prematurely, take the Glencoe map for example...:rolleyes:

I find the OS maps fine. There is a specific one for the reeks available at
    http://www.irishmaps.ie/productlistingT.cfm?SeriesID=8

Edit to say, the one mentioned in the post above may be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Peakbagger

Thanks for all your help and advice guys, it's much appreciated.:) I like the look of Con Moriarty's place, it looks ideal, bet it's popular though so I'll have to book early!;)

Advertisement