Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accessing a device, connected to our router, outside of our network

• 13-11-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Ok, so i have a device connected to our router. The device generates a webpage that i can access internally fine. I'm struggling to connect to it over the internet though.

It needs to be accessed like this http://xx.xx.xx.xx:2102 so i've forwarded that port on the ip address its on 192.168.1.35. I've also set a rule to allow wan to wan traffic on that ip address/port. But its not working.

I rang the router company and the guy went through it with me, said that he can see in the logs that he's able to access that port but the device isn't displaying anything.

So i've spoken to the company that have just released this device. This is what they say, i find it a bit confusing, maybe it'll make sense to someone here.
    Basically , the router will “connect” a specific public IP address (and port number) to a local IP address (and port number).

When I say “connect”, it doesn’t means physically; the router will change the public IP address in the data packet to send it to the right address (local address)

Router has a corresponding table between public address and local address

So if your Public IP address is XX.XX.XX.XXX, you will have to choose a port number (let says 2102)

Then you will have to setup your router to “connect” the IP address XX.XX.XX.XXX:2102 to 192.168.1.35:2102 (your local address)

And you have to setup this table for every port.

Web server on the device is set on port 80.

You also have to check that your router can leave this connection open.

If not you will have to fix another port number on your public IP address : XX.XX.XX.XXX:80 to 192.168.1.35:80 in order to get connection to your device from internet.

Anyone? :F

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Are you running a "Zephyr server"? (That seems to be what runs on port 2102). When you want to access the page from inside your network, do you just go to http://192.168.1.35 in your browser, or do you need to go to http://192.168.1.35:2102 ?

If it's the former, I suspect you're forwarding the wrong port, you need to be forwarding port 80.
    What model router are you using for the portforward?
    Do you have anything else that could be NATing the connection (say a separate ADSL modem that's hooked into your router...)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hey snappie, thanks for your reply.

I should have been more precise earlier. I have the device connected directly to our ADSL router. We can view it internally via http://192.168.1.35/

I have forwarded ports 2101 to 2102 and port 80 on that ip. Aswell as setting up a rule for both.

This is the device https://www.navtechgps.com/Shop/equipment/sensor_boxes/magellan_gps_professional/proflex_500_from_magellangps_proflex_500.asp

PS. We're using a ZyXEL P-662HW-D1 ADSL router

OK, if you view it internally on 192.168.1.35, then you only need to be forwarding port 80. I think those other ports were just for example purposes (I may be wrong, there could also be something special being served inside the webpage).

So you'll want to setup a rule for incoming traffic on port 80 to go to port 80 of 192.168.1.35.

When you say that the device is connected to your ADSL router, you mean that it is connected over a normal network cable, not any special (USB, whatever) connection, right?

Also, just to confirm you don't have anything else NATing: you have a phone line coming in, going to your ADSL modem, and a direct connection from the ADSL modem to the GPS unit, correct? No intermediate routers (apart from the modem itself) along the way?

If you want to PM me your public IP address, I'll gladly have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Thanks for your help SnappieT, it's been a bit mad here for the past few hours but i appreciate you taking the time to post.

It's connected directly to the ADSL router via ethernet, the router is connected to our network switch.

If its ok, we're running out of here now but i'll send you a pm on monday and maybe you can help me out.

Thanks again Snappie.

Yep, contacting me on Monday is no problem.

I want to fully understand your network configuration before I go on. Tell me if this is wrong (and correct it for me!)

Phone Line => ADSL Router
    ADSL Router => Device & Network Switch
    Network Switch => Your PC

You're sure that the phone line is going straight into your router, not something before that? You're using a switch rather than another router between the router and your PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just change the incoming port in the router nat to ext: 88 -> 80 internal.

The router is more than likely trapping the port 80 traffic on the WAN side for its remote admin page but because you are also forwarding it you get nowt!

MC

Just change the incoming port in the router nat to ext: 88 -> 80 internal.

The router is more than likely trapping the port 80 traffic on the WAN side for its remote admin page but because you are also forwarding it you get nowt!

MC
    That's a pretty awful router if that's the case. #1 port forwarded through routers is surely port 80.
    That said, worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yeah it is but , it is certainly worth the trouble of checking. I have found the 2247-2 Netopia to be a middle of the road router with one major flaw, the inability to permanently turn on remote management. Every f'ing reboot you have to config it. Bollix

Advertisement