Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Wedding..

• 13-11-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all

I've been asked to take photos for someone's wedding. I've never done anything like it, so it's very daunting, but I'm tempted to give it a go.

Any good reads, or websites with tips on how to tackle the shoot? It's in August next year, so I have time to prepare and practice..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

I'm going to ask my friend to do my wedding. All we want to abput 25 shots max. Spending a couple of grand on photo is mental me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

that seems to be my sister-in-law's idea as well. I'm worried that I'm not even half good enough to do it, but as long as the expectations are low enough, I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Starie1975 wrote: »
    I'm going to ask my friend to do my wedding. All we want to abput 25 shots max. Spending a couple of grand on photo is mental me thinks.
    hmmm but you want 25 great photos don't you? it's harder than you would think and a lot of couples have regretting not getting a professional to take their photos when they get images that haven't captured the day at all.

To the OP make sure you double up on your equipment even if it means hiring extra stuff. I'm sure others will have expert advice as I have only shot 4 weddings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

There's a lot more to it than you would imagine. Here's a link to a post by Fajitas in regards to what a photographer does.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57286913&postcount=50

Outside of that, what type of equipment do you have? What type of shots does she want as standard?

To me, a photographer is the MOST important person on the day. 20 years down the line the photographs will be the 1 thing that they will still be looking at to recapture those memories. I'd be trying to convince them to reconsider and get a professional. It's not an easy job at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

<oh I love wedding threads>
    /gets popcorn...........

Seriously though, to the OP, what experience have you in photography, I took it up a year ago and wouldn't attempt to do a wedding.....yet !!
    But.........if like Starie1975 has said, ie. that only a few photos are needed and a budget needs to be kept, then by all means give it a go.
    You will need a camera that has good ISO, 800 at least, and a few (at least 2) good fast lenses. There are plenty of folk here with wedding experience and no doubt will provide you with expert advice, good luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    There's a lot more to it than you would imagine. Here's a link to a post by Fajitas in regards to what a photographer does.

I've been at 3 friend's weddings in the last few years who were unhappy with the end results from the photographers, and ended up using the shots I took (I only went as a guest).

A wedding is a very important event, normally a once in a lifetime thing, and to make a mess is something that you will never be forgiven for.

Our wedding is next year, and I made sure to book the best photographer I could, after talking to a number of other photographers. We decided early on that we would be willing to pay for quality.

If you think the couple won't want good photos, even when they know you're only a beginner, think again. They will still expect results.

My best advice - read as much as you can, practice as much as you can, make sure you've as much backup equipment as possible, and make sure you have full proper and professional insurance. There is a reason why wedding photography can be expensive - because it's not as simple as just taking a few snaps.

Oh, another bit of advice. If you do end up doing this, offer yourself up as a free assistant on as many weddings as possible before this event. It will be worth so much experience to you on the day.

hmmm but you want 25 great photos don't you? it's harder than you would think and a lot of couples have regretting not getting a professional to take their photos when they get images that haven't captured the day at all.

To the OP make sure you double up on your equipment even if it means hiring extra stuff. I'm sure others will have expert advice as I have only shot 4 weddings.

I'm looking at hiring stuff, maybe a nice lens or two.

Outside of that, what type of equipment do you have? What type of shots does she want as standard?

To me, a photographer is the MOST important person on the day. 20 years down the line the photographs will be the 1 thing that they will still be looking at to recapture those memories. I'd be trying to convince them to reconsider and get a professional. It's not an easy job at all.

Will look at that link, cheers.

I've a Canon 40D, the 17-85 lens that came with it and a 50mm 1.4. No flash yet, i've been using the old 480 EX from my film camera and getting the exposure with trial and error when needed

I disagree somewhat with the idea that the photographer is the most important person of the day - even allowing for the fact that the bride is just a bit more important ;), I don't know how many couples actually look at their wedding album that often. As long as there are some photos that capture the day, and trigger real memories, is that not enough

Paulw wrote: »
    I've been at 3 friend's weddings in the last few years who were unhappy with the end results from the photographers, and ended up using the shots I took (I only went as a guest).

A wedding is a very important event, normally a once in a lifetime thing, and to make a mess is something that you will never be forgiven for.

Our wedding is next year, and I made sure to book the best photographer I could, after talking to a number of other photographers. We decided early on that we would be willing to pay for quality.

If you think the couple won't want good photos, even when they know you're only a beginner, think again. They will still expect results.

My best advice - read as much as you can, practice as much as you can, make sure you've as much backup equipment as possible, and make sure you have full proper and professional insurance. There is a reason why wedding photography can be expensive - because it's not as simple as just taking a few snaps.
    Oh, another bit of advice. If you do end up doing this, offer yourself up as a free assistant on as many weddings as possible before this event. It will be worth so much experience to you on the day.

Excellent advice, both.

I am still thinking of convincing them to go pro. I was a bit shocked when they asked me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Daunting is the right word for your first wedding, scary is another, its not impossible if you have the confidence for it and you still have almost a year so who knows where you'll be at then.

As mentioned already double up on everything, you need to have a good fast lense for the church and iso is handy, I used to never use high iso but since upgrading I have reaked its benefits. It makes the job much easier. Recently a member here covered a wedding and his flash failed, so backup is essential.

As for needing only 25 great photos, a lot of albums would only have this years back, ok in the digital age its easier to get more, my albums often have 60+ but it is definitly not easy to get 'only' 25 great photos, a lot of planning is required, practice, confidence and also a huge part of playing a wedding photographer is people skills in abundance, you need to deal with people on the best but potentially most stressful day of their lives.

Plenty of reads out there, I mean search wedding photography advice and you'll come up with loads, search I wish I got a pro or the likes and you'll probably come up with the reasons why you need to be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

SourKraut wrote: »
    I've a Canon 40D, the 17-85 lens that came with it and a 50mm 1.4. No flash yet, i've been using the old 480 EX from my film camera and getting the exposure with trial and error when needed

Beg/steal/borrow another camera and 1-2 more lenses, fast lenses (f/2.8). You'll also need a flash for each, plenty of camera batteries, memory cards, flash batteries, etc. The kit lens is seldom great for DOF or sharpness.
    I disagree somewhat with the idea that the photographer is the most important person of the day - even allowing for the fact that the bride is just a bit more important ;), I don't know how many couples actually look at their wedding album that often. As long as there are some photos that capture the day, and trigger real memories, is that not enough

Ok, photographer is probably 4th most important person behind bride, mother of the bride, mother of the groom. :D The guys don't care as much.

As for the big day and the photos, there have been many cases where brides have taken the photographer to court (and won) for not producing quality images. So, they obviously do care a lot about what they get.

You have plenty of time at least. Here's a course you should consider - http://www.iop.ie/courses/wedding_beginners.htm It's been recommended by a number of people on here (who now do weddings).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi all

I've been asked to take photos for someone's wedding. I've never done anything like it, so it's very daunting, but I'm tempted to give it a go.

Any good reads, or websites with tips on how to tackle the shoot? It's in August next year, so I have time to prepare and practice..

Thanks

There's an excellent post in the FAQ under the weddings section (wooo hooooo, I knew there was sense in reorganising the FAQ :D))
    Starie1975 wrote: »

In addition to what you've been provided with there's an excellent post in the FAQ under the weddings section.

First realisation from what I've heard: I need to sit down with them and get their expectations clear.

That and a backup camera, backup flash (are you reading this Fenster? :P) and backup lenses etc should be good I reckon. But as mentioned before, practice and practice. There may be good folk on here that will take you as an assistant for free to get you the experience. With a LOT of work, there's a good chance you could do quite a good job of it. But be prepared to realise why photographers charge as much as they do :D

Well, I meant the most important person outside of the wedding party :D. Ok, we'll not debate whether or not they are the most important person, but people only realise how important they actually are when they end up with bad photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

This Wedding Photography Checklist can be useful.:D

That and a backup camera, backup flash (are you reading this Fenster? :P) and backup lenses etc should be good I reckon. But as mentioned before, practice and practice. There may be good folk on here that will take you as an assistant for free to get you the experience. With a LOT of work, there's a good chance you could do quite a good job of it. But be prepared to realise why photographers charge as much as they do :D

Well, I meant the most important person outside of the wedding party :D. Ok, we'll not debate whether or not they are the most important person, but people only realise how important they actually are when they end up with bad photos.

I have no decent photo pf my own wedding, we skipped the pro, got a friend and because it was still in the days of film, he didn't realise that none of the pictures were coming out until he got them developed.. so, I know how important it is from first hand experience!

Paulw wrote: »
    Beg/steal/borrow another camera and 1-2 more lenses, fast lenses (f/2.8). You'll also need a flash for each, plenty of camera batteries, memory cards, flash batteries, etc. The kit lens is seldom great for DOF or sharpness.

Ok, photographer is probably 4th most important person behind bride, mother of the bride, mother of the groom. :D The guys don't care as much.

As for the big day and the photos, there have been many cases where brides have taken the photographer to court (and won) for not producing quality images. So, they obviously do care a lot about what they get.

You have plenty of time at least. Here's a course you should consider - http://www.iop.ie/courses/wedding_beginners.htm It's been recommended by a number of people on here (who now do weddings).

that course looks like a good one, not too pricey either
    also a huge part of playing a wedding photographer is people skills in abundance, you need to deal with people on the best but potentially most stressful day of their lives.

I'm thinking of doing some practice shoots with the couple themselves. I figure that they can live with dodgy shots of aunty mavis on the left of the wedding party, but I need to nail the couple portraits as best I can
    Canonfan wrote: »
    This Wedding Photography Checklist can be useful.:D

nice one. cheers

There may be good folk on here that will take you as an assistant for free to get you the experience.

Oh, and if there are any good folk on here reading this and looking for a free assistant, just let me know... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As long as the couple know what your capabilities are & that is clear then I would say go for it.

I have said this before, but here goes again. The expectation of Wedding Photography these days is the level that was reserved for the very rich about a decade ago. If the couple are prepared to have just a simple record of the day then that should be acheivable by most people who have a reasonable grasp of Photography.

Some of the weddings I have seen in the last few years have lost the essence of what the day should be about & instead they have turned into Photo Opportunities. It can seem they are too busy getting Photo's to actually enjoy the day itself.

I was into Photography when I got married but did not bother about Wedding Photography. I did get a friend of the Best Man to use my camera to take a few shots which were fine. I also took a few mayself later. I think it was two rolls of 36 exposures & that was it. Have hardly looked at them since a few weeks afterwards.

Now I am not knocking the very good Wedding Photographers we have here & when you do get a Pro to shoot a wedding then they will deliver the goods. They also do a lot of work for their money. It's just that there seems to be peer pressure these days for everyone to have an expensive Photography package for every wedding.

The kit you have sounds fine to me. I would look at a good flash that can be bounced. Practice on shooting Candids in the next year.

CabanSail, I agree with you completely. That's why I was saying about sitting down with the couple - I want to make sure that they are happy to get a simple record of the day, not expecting pro results. If we're clear on that, I'll have a crack at it and if not I'll tell them to get a pro.

My mate, also brother of the bride, will be on duty to get candids as well.

What's a flash with a good refresh - I'm looking at a 580 rated, either then Canon or the Mecablitz

Anyone know somewhere good for lens rental in Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

CabanSail wrote: »
    Now I am not knocking the very good Wedding Photographers we have here & when you do get a Pro to shoot a wedding then they will deliver the goods. They also do a lot of work for their money. It's just that there seems to be peer pressure these days for everyone to have an expensive Photography package for every wedding.

Hiring a pro doesnt have to cost the earth

For weddings I use a Canon 580exII with a battery pack for multiple shots with a very short recycle time, something like a 430exII would do you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Take on board every piece of advice you receive from the above. But you will learn more from the actual wedding shoot than you will from reading every book, link etc. In the meantime practice lots of indoor shots in varying lighting conditions with various equipment. Also when you get the chance take outdoor shots in very sunny conditions. Also if you know the venue of the wedding, do a shoot there with the couple. Sitting down with the couple beforehand and finding out what they want exactly is an essential ingredient of a successful shoot.
    Best of luck and may everything work out perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Over the years I've read a good few books on the subject, one of the best for starting out is
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Guide-Professional-Wedding-Photography/dp/0240808908/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258141797&sr=8-1

I wouldn't worry too much about the equipment, knowing how to use it is the important thing.

Good luck - As long as you're prepared you should enjoy the experience.

I'm very grateful for all the advice.

Re: bright sunshine, I took pictures for a communion and sadly made a bit of a mess of the outdoor stuff in the sun. i need to learn something from that.

Eirebear's thread, via the FAQ is also excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Also when you get the chance take outdoor shots in very sunny conditions

as a matter of interest, whats the formula for these shots ???

if the sun was behind the photographer then people would be squinting right ?

side lighting - shadows etc, parts of people's faces dark and so on?

i'm guessing its shoot with the sun behind people and use flash ??? and obviously dont get those sun flare things.

or is it a case of taking a photo where the most photogenic place is, and working around whatever light exists at the time ? (using different metering or whatever?).

i ask cos i'm in the exact same boat as saurkraut.

thanks.

Advertisement