Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Library photos (glass plate) - Lawrence Colletcion etc

Options
  • 13-11-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

National Library photos - Lawrence Colletcion etc, the link below is using a filter for Donegal. Just select "home" in the top left and you can select whatever.

Some lovely shots of the county before the building boom and moderisation.......... take a step back in time.

http://digital.nli.ie/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=any&CISOBOX1=donegal&CISOFIELD1=CISOSEARCHALL&CISOROOT=%2Fglassplates

Lawrence Royal & Cabinet Collections
    The Lawrence Collection consists of 40,000 glass plate negatives from 1870-1914. The images were produced commercially and capture topographical scenes of that period throughout Ireland. The entire Lawrence Royal collection (10,784 plates) and part of the Lawrence Cabinet collection (2,040 plates) are available here to view online.
    Poole Whole Plate Collection
    The Poole collection comprises 65,000 glass plate negatives and was created by the family firm of A.H. Poole in Waterford between 1884-1954. The majority of images in the collection are studio portraits but the Poole Whole Plate subset which consists of 5,119 images, reflects the diversity of the collection with studio portraits, social and political events and also images of architecture and industry in the south east of Ireland.
    Independent H Collection
    The Independent Newspaper collection of some 300,000 images, is made up of glass plates, plastic negatives and a small number of prints. The Independent H collection is a subset of the collection and contains 3,250 glass plates negatives dating from 1912-1936. It provides a record of many aspects of 20th century Irish life, and is particularly strong in the coverage of politics and sport in Ireland.
    http://digital.nli.ie/cdm4/index_glassplates.php?CISOROOT=/glassplates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Excellent find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Nice one cúl a cnoic... some stunning photos in there.

Great link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

some excellent snaps in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JackG

great link and find. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

cheers boss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Barne's Gap Rail Viaduct, Donegal County, Co.Donegal

<SNIP>

Were is this? When i seen it first i assumed it was the Viaduct before Creeslough.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Senna wrote: »
    Barne's Gap Rail Viaduct, Donegal County, Co.Donegal

Were is this? When i seen it first i assumed it was the Viaduct before Creeslough.

Your right, it is Barne's (Barne's Beag, I think) beside creeslough and not to be confused with Barnesmore Gap, the place with Biddys pub:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Your right, it is Barne's (Barne's Beag, I think) beside creeslough and not to be confused with Barnesmore Gap, the place with Biddys pub:D

Yet again i prove my lack of local knowledge:o

Oh and excellent find Cul a cnoic.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Never knew of this site.

was browsing through and came across the set of pictures of the donegal disaster where a boat capsised drowning a lot of the passengers.

I assume it was a ferry boat out to one of the islands ? Anyone out there know the story ?

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

210 wrote: »
    Never knew of this site.

was browsing through and came across the set of pictures of the donegal disaster where a boat capsised drowning a lot of the passengers.

I assume it was a ferry boat out to one of the islands ? Anyone out there know the story ?

9th November 1935 - 19 men, women and children lost their lives on their way out to Arranmore from Burtonport.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/arranmoretragedy.htm

• Advertisement

Never knew of this site.

Nice link here on youtube of the photos with music. josey_whale has you covered on the reading side.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upEwOKwBkZ4

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Wow very interesting and a bit weird too.

210 aka Patrick Gallagher

210 aka Patrick Gallagher

Paddy Gallagher, the only one saved on the day...

Welcome to the Twilight Zone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

golly gosh, there is the missing Armada cannon on Kiltoorish lake,

MIA since about 1966, sold to a "northern visitor" according to the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Durnish wrote: »

I heard about this cannon about 10 years ago, and I knew a few divers from Waterford interested in diving for the supposed last missing cannon still at the bottom of the lake. I believe the other cannon was sold to a man from County Down who had a holiday home in the area... there also was a rumour that there was a second cannon chained to the first one that rolled off the raft into the lake, so there is supposed to be 2 still submerged... dont quote me :)

I only ever heard of the wan cannon,

Which photo are you referring to??

I only ever heard of the wan cannon,

Is that 3 less than fure cannons ? :D:D;):D:D

look, gi us a break, just the wan,
    I am now a Donegal lndowner so I am practiisning the lingo (drink taken to celebrate acceptance of offer)

• Advertisement

to which pic am I referring?
    Search kiltoories and you'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry guys but I had to delete a couple of the pics that were copied in the thread. The position is that these photographs are copyright protected and any reproduction could land Boards.ie in hot water.

Im leaving the thread open and by all means debate the photos if you wish but please do not copy any of them.

Advertisement