Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools to close on 24th November

Options
  • 13-11-2009 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1113/education.html

Nov 24th, very relevant to those of us with kids. Me or the missus will need to take a day off work for this. Can't see how it is helping things to be honest, they haven't endeared me to their cause.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

+1 to that. I'll also have to take a day off or pay for some childcare.
    Either way, this costs me. Teachers aren't going to get the public on their side by taking money directly from their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Teachers went on strike when I was in the leaving cert during 2000/2001.
    TBH, I found it beneficial.

Some days I stayed home and studied, or met up with friends and studied.
    One of my teachers disappeared for 3 months, English teacher, I got an Hons A2 in that.

Basically,
    All of the crappy teachers who were useless went on strike.
    All of the decent teachers who did care and actually were capable of teaching were only officially on strike but in reality, they were teaching us on the sly.

All the messers stayed at home and there was only good teachers on duty -probably the most productive period of education in my life.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1113/education.html
    Schools throughout the country will be closed on 24 November, after teachers voted in favour of industrial action against cutbacks.

The result of the ballots was announced by the three main teacher unions today.

A fourth union has already received a mandate for action.

The result means all schools, primary and second-level, as well as further education and third level colleges, will close on the day.

In a joint statement, the primary and second-level teaching unions said they were taking action because members had never before faced such a threat to pay, pensions and terms and conditions.

They say they fully recognise the serious national problem but want more of an emphasis on taxation as well as cuts.

This means the country's 65,000 teachers will withdraw their labour on 24 November and schools will have to close.

Second-level teachers voted 77% in favour of strike, primary schools teachers by 79%.

Third level teachers have already given their union a mandate.

In response, the Minister for Education said in a statement that industrial action will not address the country's financial difficulties.

Batt O'Keeffe called on teachers to pull together in the national interest.

They striked during the good times to secure pay for supervision duties which now stands at €50.34 per hour, now they're striking during the bad times to maintain ridiculously high pay.

It's obvious that the teachers have their fat pay packets at heart instead of our children's future.

And all of this on top of yesterday's figures that the cost of living has fallen by 6.6% since this time last year.

Teachers are an essential part of both our society and our economy. But it's time to get real-the country's broke and borrowing €450million a week to help pay overinflated wages isn't going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Nice, I'll get a few minutes extra in bed with the lighter traffic. More teacher's strikes please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

It's a win win situation for me..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Irish Economy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Let them strike. They get won't anything so why are they even bothering with this, do they honestly think they will get any sympathy for walking out on school kids. Knobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They do anything to protect that 60k average pay packet. (source Dept of Education http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0416/teachers.html)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

They do not strike during any of their generous holidays. Parasites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Be happy that they strike; it is at least one day this year that we, the taxpayers, don't have to pay their bloated salaries.

And lets not kid ourself that missing one day is going to affect the education in any way. The only thing they are doing is pissing of a lot of parents which is a good thing when the crunch comes around and they start to spout BS as "Think of the children" again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Nody wrote: »
    Be happy that they strike; it is at least one day this year that we, the taxpayers, don't have to pay their bloated salaries.

No, but I have to fork out to the creche instead :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

The private sector and ordinary citizen can get their own back in different ways. Offer the striking teachers a nice cup of tea, but do not tell them whats in it ;).

I a reminded of a person who worked in an auctioneers office , and who confirmed on this board, that in their experience most of the people who bought holiday homes were public servants, and specifically teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

another strike by the teachers! €3 out of every €4 spent by the gov on education goes to teachers pay! The selfishness and self interest here is disgusting! especially by those that proclaim to be champions of the people! let them strike! these are the same people that should be examples to the kids and look at them! pathetic!

#15 wrote: »
    I'm a teacher, completely against this strike. Its ridiculous, I'm ashamed of the idiots who voted to strike.

A lot of "tarring with the same brush" happens in these situations when it's a unionised front so apologies if my any of my posts seem that way.

Glad to see some teachers are living in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

In a joint statement, the primary and second-level teaching unions said they were taking action because members had never before faced such a threat to pay, pensions and terms and conditions.

So is this is a preemptive strike, designed to put pressure on the government pre budget day?

Can any teacher here try and explain what teachers can realistically acheive by having this strike, other than alienate them from the general public?

My dad is self employed and he has literally no income at the minute.
    I'm a young teacher and I can't afford to miss a days pay. I also am aware that the country is bankrupt, unlike the INTO apparently. They are in dream land.

And then there was an idiot in the staff room today who even said, 'I bet they'll dock our pay for the strike'. FFS, what does she expect.

And yes, a lot of tarring with the same brush does go on, but its something I'm guilty of myself sometimes. The only problem is when people (like some on other threads) belive the tar is the truth.:)

Well you are in the group I feel for the most.

You guys have been suffering for quite some time now however it's only when the high pay that permanent members enjoy is in the line of fire that the unions decide to strike. Funny thing is if there was a universal paycut there would be more chance of new jobs being created in the sector due to a more favourable budget. Every government department is trying to reduce the payroll so new appointments are just not on the agenda unless some level of rationalisation occurs on the income front.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm a teacher, completely against this strike. Its ridiculous, I'm ashamed of the idiots who voted to strike.
    Fair play to you as an individual but sadly you are in the small minority here. The vast bulk of your colleagues believe we can tax our way out of this (serious) recession and continue to pay their salaries at current levels, despite a total collapse in tax returns due to an over reliance on property.

I urge all teachers who voted against the strike to stay at home. Only the scumbags who voted in favour of putting their (on average high) salaries above the children of Ireland should have to face the wrath of the parents, and they should face some wrath for this!

murphaph wrote: »
    Fair play to you as an individual but sadly you are in the small minority here. The vast bulk of your colleagues believe we can tax our way out of this (serious) recession and continue to pay their salaries at current levels, despite a total collapse in tax returns due to an over reliance on property.

I urge all teachers who voted against the strike to stay at home. Only the scumbags who voted in favour of putting their (on average high) salaries above the children of Ireland should have to face the wrath of the parents, and they should face some wrath for this!

The No voters still have to go to work in the morning alongside the vast majority of the yes men. Even look at the ASTI's poster-basically making up your mind for you by using scaremongering.

http://www.asti.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Vote_Yes_Poster.pdf

I'd love if they all stayed at home but lets be honest it aint an option for most teachers-especially if they are young and are forced to do a bit of brown nosing to keep their temporary jobs! (no offence intended!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Sack all the overpaid teachers who voted for the strike and bring in all the newly educated teachers who can't find work at the moment. They'll happily work for half the salary that is being paid. They may even bring a brighter and more fresher approach to the current education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

segaBOY wrote: »
    The No voters still have to go to work in the morning alongside the vast majority of the yes men. Even look at the ASTI's poster-basically making up your mind for you by using scaremongering.

http://www.asti.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Vote_Yes_Poster.pdf

I'd love if they all stayed at home but lets be honest it aint an option for most teachers-especially if they are young and are forced to do a bit of brown nosing to keep their temporary jobs! (no offence intended!)
    Just reading that poster-they are striking over what might be, not over anything in particular. Is this the most RIDICULOUS strike anyone has ever seen??? Disgraceful!! Hang your heads in shame the lot of you (well, the 80 odd percent who want it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Nice One keep more strikes please, no school for me :D

dip student not getting paid or part of any union so I don't give a toss

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Sack all the overpaid teachers who voted for the strike and bring in all the newly educated teachers who can't find work at the moment. They'll happily work for half the salary that is being paid. They may even bring a brighter and more fresher approach to the current education system.

All well and good but such a shift in labour resources would:

a) Bring about legal action as you're not making anyone redundant-simply replacing them and reducing wages.

b) Damage the standard in many schools. You are sacking the most experienced members and bringing in unexperienced teachers which is a recipe for disaster-we all have to learn somewhere and off of someone.

A more level rationalised approach is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The teachers in Ireland do not know how well off they are. 3 months hols in the summer, 2 weeks Christmas and Easter, and 2 half terms thrown in. Do not have to have parent teacher meeting for every class every term after school like other countries but manage one per year and usually during school hours, while it is after school everywhere else. No school league tables etc. Hell they do as they want and are paid well for it in real terms. Maybe they are complaining because they get too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

murphaph wrote: »
    Just reading that poster-they are striking over what might be, not over anything in particular.

It's before the budget. The ASTI brochures states they will be viewed as an easy target so they want a show of strength but the budget is finalized

I'm sure the unions see the need for cuts, just anywhere else but their sector....
    jaffa20 wrote: »

Illegal on so many levels though I see what you're saying

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    The teachers in Ireland do not know how well off they are. 3 months hols in the summer, 2 weeks Christmas and Easter, and 2 half terms thrown in. Do not have to have parent teacher meeting for every class every term after school like other countries but manage one per year and usually during school hours, while it is after school everywhere else. No school league tables etc. Hell they do as they want and are paid well for it in real terms. Maybe they are complaining because they get too much?

A lot of them are just out of touch and believe the nonsense spouted by the union.

I am waiting for a Yes voter to wander onto this thread and see how they approach the situation.

From previous threads it seems to be a "Scold the poster like he is one of my students, tell him they don't know what they are talking about and my job is very hard, spout the usual 'look at NAMA and the private sector creaming it years ago' lines, completely ignore the current economic situation and high rates of pay we enjoy".

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

I for one find the whole thing sickening. I have absolutely no interest in striking as I genuinely don't think it's going to do anything but lower the general publics already low (a lot of it unjustified) opinion of us as a profession.

However, because the unions have voted to do so I, and other young members of my staff, have effectively been 'forced' to join just so we don't have to pass the picket on the 24th.

So there's the cost of a year's membership AND a day's pay down the drain!!

littlebsci wrote: »
    I for one find the whole thing sickening. I have absolutely no interest in striking as I genuinely don't think it's going to do anything but lower the general publics already low (a lot of it unjustified) opinion of us as a profession.

However, because the unions have voted to do so I, and other young members of my staff, have effectively been 'forced' to join just so we don't have to pass the picket on the 24th.

So there's the cost of a year's membership AND a day's pay down the drain!!

Completely agree with what you're saying. My sister in law is a temp and I know how she feels about this but is forced to join in. Passing the picket is horrible, had to do it when I was in an non unionised job or face being fired while the unionised workers were out striking. Wouldn't wish it on anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

And do they get that day's wages for staying in bed??

I have 3 children in school and now have the hassle of trying to organise for them to be cared for while myself and partner work to keep a roof over our heads. When you think these people have about 5 months holidays anyways, does it not make you sick?

If they lived in the real world of work they would act differently, and get on with it. :mad::mad:

I have 3 children in school and now have the hassle of trying to organise for them to be cared for while myself and partner work to keep a roof over our heads. When you think these people have about 5 months holidays anyways, does it not make you sick?

If they lived in the real world of work they would act differently, and get on with it. :mad::mad:

I'd like to know what sort of campaign was run in the staff rooms. Just look at the scaremongering the ASTI were involved in: http://www.asti.ie/about-asti/structure/school-stewards/

The link on the homepage dresses it up as being for the benefit of the students with slogans like "my students matter" while is reality it is all about the wages and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Of course not!! That's one of the reasons I'm against striking. Not that I'm saying we should keep our pay when we're not working but I really don't like the idea of losing it when I don't want to strike!

Advertisement