Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools to close on 24th November

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Do you get strike pay though?
    Surely the union will pay each worker who joins the picket?

If you've no choice but to lose a days pay I'd be asking the union rep what was happening with strike pay, anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

segaBOY wrote: »
    I'd like to know what sort of campaign was run in the staff rooms. Just look at the scaremongering the ASTI were involved in: http://www.asti.ie/about-asti/structure/school-stewards/

The link on the homepage dresses it up as being for the benefit of the students with slogans like "my students matter" while is reality it is all about the wages and nothing else.

It's the leaders that particularly get me going. Remember the greed of benchmarking? I've let my local teachers know how I feel, as I was particularly angry today and they were ultra defensive and apologetic. Everyone is feeling the pain, and we all need to keep the country moving along as best we can and not have this stupid selfish action.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Sack all the overpaid teachers who voted for the strike and bring in all the newly educated teachers who can't find work at the moment. They'll happily work for half the salary that is being paid. They may even bring a brighter and more fresher approach to the current education system.

Thanks:) Its good to finally see that people have realised that not all of us teachers are fortunate enough to have perm. contracts and good money. You have to also realise, that on strike day, many of the teachers that are there have to be there due to bad feeling in the staffroom. long winded sorry. As an older teacher said to me today, if i go to future interviews where the principals are strong ASTI members, he doesn't like my chances.
    Look we are gonna get the cut no matter what, not something i'm looking forward to, but we have to remember it is only one day of striking (so far), plus, that we aren't being paid for, it will prob be raining, to make ye feel better! I know from speaking to people in the staff that they do feel it isin't the right move to take, but look, we can't take it lying down either like the pension levy, otherwise we will be hit everytime. Realistically, this downturn is gonna bring about change in the sector. I would not be shocked to see CID contracts being totally scraped in favour of yearly contracts. Any reduction we see now is going to stay with us for a very long time and not when the economy picks up. Sorry for the long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

mikemac wrote: »
    Do you get strike pay though?
    Surely the union will pay each worker who joins the picket?

If you've no choice but to lose a days pay I'd be asking the union rep what was happening with strike pay, anyone know?

No pay that day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

A bunch of greedy parasites. It's funny how the people who are most well off tend to protest the most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

It's the leaders that particularly get me going. Remember the greed of benchmarking? I've let my local teachers know how I feel, as I was particularly angry today and they were ultra defensive and apologetic. Everyone is feeling the pain, and we all need to keep the country moving along as best we can and not have this stupid selfish action.:mad::mad:

You can't blame the ignorance of the leaders on the members at the same time.

However I can't believe there was such a high yes vote tbh, teachers are well educated and smart people-greed must be taking over a lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Unions are really shooting themselve in foot with this. Any support is only gonna evaporate as strikes go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

The ASTI circular re non-cooperation with inspectors etc makes startling reading.

A large number of secondary school students are paying for grinds, extra tuition at Christmas and Easter etc etc. Students and their parents literally voting with their feet. It seems many teachers are not teaching properly during the small number of hours that they are in the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Bunch of jokers.

So they're striking before any pay has actually been docked in the budget? They can't be striking over the pension levy because that was months ago.

So when the budget comes out and when pay is cut a strike action will have lost all power (if it has any PR wise which I seriousely doubt).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Remember the Irish born + educated teacher, now teaching in Britain, who was on the Pat Kenny show for about 15 minutes a few weeks ago. He quoted fact upon fact about our teachers being paid so much more here, for less work ....735 hours as opposed to something like 1295 hours over there. Plus in the UK they have to do about a dozen parent teacher meetings a year in the evenings, so suit parents . Plus they do not get summer holidays until mid July etc.

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    The ASTI circular re non-cooperation with inspectors etc makes startling reading.

A large number of secondary school students are paying for grinds, extra tuition at Christmas and Easter etc etc. Students and their parents literally voting with their feet. It seems many teachers are not teaching properly during the small number of hours that they are in the classroom.

There are good and bad in every profession. What sets teaching apart is those in permanent positions are virtually unsackable and are held to no accountability.

I had an accounting teacher who spent more time out of the classroom than he did in. He used miss countless classes and literally decide to walk out of the classes at random intervals when he was there.

Then again I had an economics teacher who used go out of his way to do everything to teach us-extra classes after school, extra days during christmas and before the leaving and ask for nothing in return.

It would be wrong to base the profession on the numbers getting grinds (which are given by teachers themselves!)-many students just need that extra bit of help irregardless.

However I strongly believe that some form of accountability had to be brought in to the profession to better it as a whole.

jimmmy wrote: »
    Remember the Irish born + educated teacher, now teaching in Britain, who was on the Pat Kenny show for about 15 minutes a few weeks ago. He quoted fact upon fact about our teachers being paid so much more here, for less work ....735 hours as opposed to something like 1295 hours over there. Plus in the UK they have to do about a dozen parent teacher meetings a year in the evenings, so suit parents . Plus they do not get summer holidays until mid July etc.

True and all as that is don't fool yourself into believing that the UK education system is any better.

I have cousins in school there and have worked with an ex teacher who worked in Manchester-they both agree that it is more like a daycare centre for kids than an educational facility. Much much more discipline problems in their schools and their GCSEs and A Levels have been dumbed down over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Remember the Irish born + educated teacher, now teaching in Britain, who was on the Pat Kenny show for about 15 minutes a few weeks ago. He quoted fact upon fact about our teachers being paid so much more here, for less work ....735 hours as opposed to something like 1295 hours over there. .

It is a good thing we are not like the UK system, in any way, shape or form. UK stats include preparation hours, Irish stats don't. Irish teachers have more contact hours with their classes. But you have been told this before, you just don't seem to be able to read it for some reason.

Teachers are shooting themselves in the foot, you would be well within your rights to have a pop at them about their selfishness. But no, you prefer to rely on twisting statistics. Your debating skills are <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

The strike is on the second day of the Christmas exams in my school,and so I apparently will have to stay back 2 hours late on two of the other days to complete the exams that I would've sat on the Tuesday,had the strike not been supported by the teachers.

I am seriously considering crossing the picket line and studying in school that day.

I have been taught by a fair few teachers in my time,and as a current sixth year repeat in a new school,I can safely say that 90% of the teachers I have had were utterly inept. I've had the odd few total legends,but there are a disproportionate amount of useless self righteous idiots who will be striking on Tuesday.

How they can justify this strike is beyond me. They need to get over themselves. My sister's Spanish teacher told her that she's "used to her current wage level." No shít,Sherlock. It's called taking a hit,duh.

Today in a study skills session,I was told that there is the event,which I can't control,my response,which I can control,and the outcome,which is the sum of the event and the reaction. This was in relation to the Leaving Cert,of course. Maybe if this was applied to the public sector,and the teachers specifically, there'd be no problems. Because there will have to be pay cuts,and if they don't respond accordingly,the outcome will just be worse.

It's pathetic. It's the same thing as if my parents told me that after receiving ten euro pocket money a week for a number of years,they now have to reduce it to nine because of the financial situation, and if I could somehow "strike" from my family or become emancipated for the day in response,I'd be playing the teacher's role. This strike is childish,and totally incomprehensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

#15 wrote: »
    Teachers are shooting themselves in the foot

They arent no eisteins niether as mary coughlan would say

remember this

http://dynimg.rte.ie/00023900-150.jpg

It is a good thing we are not like the UK system, in any way, shape or form. UK stats include preparation hours, Irish stats don't. Irish teachers have more contact hours with their classes. But you have been told this before, you just don't seem to be able to read it for some reason.

Teachers are shooting themselves in the foot, you would be well within your rights to have a pop at them about their selfishness. But no, you prefer to rely on twisting statistics. Your debating skills are <snip>

You are right. Just wondering as a young teacher what is your view on accountability? Permanent teachers don't seem to have any.

I am entering a profession that is bringing in standards for practice on a yearly basis.

Personally it sucks, but in the grand scheme of things it will up the game and make it a better sector for everyone-so I support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

It is a good thing we are not like the UK system, in any way, shape or form.

Bottom line ...its a pity we are paying our teachers much more than teachers are paid in the UK, or France for example, and its a pity they are still going on strike. They do not strike in early July when teachers in UK, Germany etc are still teaching ?

dodgyme wrote: »

remember this

Religion and CSPE teachers huh? :rolleyes: :D

remember this

You're no eistein either. ;)

No need to generalise the whole profession though, it doesn't help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The UK manages to actually have a knowledge economy though.

• Advertisement

Bottom line ...its a pity we are paying our teachers much more than teachers are paid in the UK, or France for example, and its a pity they are still going on strike. They do not strike in early July when teachers in UK, Germany etc are still teaching ?

It is a pity. Its also a pity that the whole country was overpaid and created such a mess. Teachers pay will be cut over the next few years.

It is indeed a pity they are going on strike, I am much angrier about it than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

I'm a teacher, completely against this strike. Its ridiculous, I'm ashamed of the idiots who voted to strike.

The better half is a teacher only a few years and nearly got her head chopped off by suggestion that they should be trying to save peoples jobs if it means taking a pay cut.

The rubbish the into are coming with is laughable.

They are going to cut their wages by 30%, keep schools open for a month longer, have longer days etc.

Trying to make sure they get their strike vote which she voted no to strike.

You will find that most people who don't want to strike are afraid to stand up against the union cause they will look like the bad people.

It is all the teachers who are their years and have no fear of losing their jobs are all for the strike cause if teacher numbers go down it is always last in first out.

Unions need to get their heads out of skies and get with reality.

Why don't the unions reduce their fees to help out their members :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Trampas wrote: »
    Why don't the unions reduce their fees to help out their members :rolleyes:

+1

You're no eistein either. ;)

No need to generalise the whole profession though, it doesn't help matters.

Niehter are you darwhin. You didnt spot the "on purpose" double negative neither. (ref Pee flynn at the tribunals)

Hope you dont have a job correcting papers. I think my generaling is confirmed now (that is a ref to the 'vandaling')...jez you have to explain everthin to these lads!

Niehter are you darwhin. You didnt spot the "on purpose" double negative neither. (ref Pee flynn at the tribunals)

Hope you dont have a job correcting papers. I think my generalising is confirmed now

It was just a joke, no need to take it so personally.

Calling my professional ability into question is uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

All well and good but such a shift in labour resources would:
    b) Damage the standard in many schools. You are sacking the most experienced members and bringing in unexperienced teachers which is a recipe for disaster-we all have to learn somewhere and off of someone.

I would dispute that to be honest:
    A post by me from a different thread
    Teachers went on strike when I was in the leaving cert during 2000/2001.
    TBH, I found it beneficial.

Some days I stayed home and studied, or met up with friends and studied.
    One of my teachers disappeared for 3 months, English teacher, I got an Hons A2 in that, got 445/600 in the end, not fantastic but not too shabby.

Basically,
    All of the crappy teachers who were useless went on strike.
    All of the decent teachers who did care and actually were capable of teaching were only officially on strike but in reality, they were teaching us on the sly.

All the messers stayed at home and there was only good teachers on duty -probably the most productive period of education in my life.biggrin.gif

It was just a joke, no need to take it so personally.

I think you should take the junior cert class. I will do the leaving certs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Jesus Christ, Fianna Fail and the trade unions are tearing this country apart at the seams.

And us private sector people are in the crossfire.

I wonder if Bertie still wants to try for president?

You are right. Just wondering as a young teacher what is your view on accountability? Permanent teachers don't seem to have any.

I am entering a profession that is bringing in standards for practice on a yearly basis.

Personally it sucks, but in the grand scheme of things it will up the game and make it a better sector for everyone-so I support it.

Well, it seems to be improving, but I am not too long removed from secondary school and there were plenty of wasters around then.

Primary teaching is ok, but it could be better too. I think the B.Ed system should be done away with, but thats another discussion entirely.

Personally I think the whole thing is a young persons game really. Their is so much energy required and I cannot see myself staying in the job for more than 7 or 8 years, as rewarding as it is.

• Advertisement

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I would dispute that to be honest:
    A post by me from a different thread

I have come across your posts before Dannyboy and you seem like a smart chap who probably had the ability to learn the stuff on your own. Plenty of others would benefit more from a teacher however.

Advertisement