Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools to close on 24th November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I would dispute that to be honest:
    A post by me from a different thread..........

All the messers stayed at home........

If half the messers in any of my classes stayed at home all the time then of course life would be easier and I'd get much more done!! However, we have an inclusive education system where it is rather difficult to remove such students from a school so we just have to get on with the job as best we can. Yes in an ideal world there'd be no messing and all classes would be incredibly productive but firing all current teachers is not going to achieve this. You'd end up firing the good teachers along with the bad and the batch you get in to replace them could have a similar spread of both types!

By the way, I did my Leaving Cert the same year as you and I'd honestly have to say it didn't affect my results at all coz I worked on my own at home the days we were off. So the whole "would somebody please think of the children" speech that will probably come from someone soon is really null and void! If a Leaving Cert student wants to do well they will use one day off wisely. I do not however feel that as an ongoing situation, striking is acceptable and I realise that if it continues then there will be those students who find themselves in dfficulty!

And this from someone who doesn't agree with the vote! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

segaBOY wrote: »
    I have come across your posts before Dannyboy and you seem like a smart chap who probably had the ability to learn the stuff on your own. Plenty of others would benefit more from a teacher however.

Yea, fair point tbh. (thanks for the compliment too;))
    I think your parents are an equal part of the equation along with your teachers.

Mine were fairly strict. Other lads less so.
    Kinda spoke for itself in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

deluded thats all i can say,they are doing no favours strikeing,the public sector is a big employer so of course they be asked to take another cut,either that or sack them,thats what would happen to them in the private sector..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

National School Teacher here with a few increment points and a degree and 20 years experience

Salary anything from 60K to 68K

38 weeks worked 14 weeks holiday

Junior School Teacher in the UK same as but 35 years experience

salary about 35K sterling = 38K Euro

Our teachers are completely overpaid and have a very high opinion of themselves. if they don't like it let them all walk out on it for good.

Everyone of them is replaceable for 66% of what they get paid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Let me be the first to say I am fully in support of this strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i wish i had the luxury of choosing of whether or not to go on strike.... fully qualified teacher, 2 years experience plus industry experience, unemployed since last june and now working p/t in an afterschools programme. :mad:

educational system in ireland needs to be overhauled dramatically. permanent teachers unable to be let go, or be accountable is ludicrous, particularly when there is a number of unemployed teachers who would be more than willing to take their job!!

i do feel that young teachers are being bullied to follow the established members of staff and maintain the current system, which is really unfair.

im sure there are plenty of unemployed teachers like myself who would be glad to go in and teach students on nov 24th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Cian92 wrote: »
    Let me be the first to say I am fully in support of this strike.

Student or teacher?

can i also point out that its not just teachers who are striking, its all public servants, and yet the media seem intent to fuel the convenient government backed notion that all teachers are greedy and selfish. as previous poster pointed out, we're all not like that, and we all dont earn €60,000 a year!

Nead21 wrote: »
    can i also point out that its not just teachers who are striking, its all public servants, and yet the media seem intent to fuel the convenient government backed notion that all teachers are greedy and selfish. as previous poster pointed out, we're all not like that, and we all dont earn €60,000 a year!

I don't think you are being singled out. Sure this thread is specific to the topic of teachers but the whole public and civil service needs to be overhauled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

The average teacher salary is 60k. There was a long debate about this some time ago.

• Advertisement

dodgyme wrote: »
    The average teacher salary is 60k. There was a long debate about this some time ago.

He/she just wants to make the point that not everyone is on that money.

But hold on a minute-don't ye guys start on about €36,000 with allowances factored in??

That's about €10,000 over the average that graduates start out on-still not bad!

my salary last year was approx €33k....when i was lucky enough to have job :(

i didnt get paid during the holidays (despite what many choose to believe)

my point is that young teachers are just trying to make ends meet like everyone else.

my salary last year was approx €33k....when i was lucky enough to have job :(

i didnt get paid during the holidays (despite what many choose to believe)

my point is that young teachers are just trying to make ends meet like everyone else.

Hi, I started on €19k and worked for the summer. And that was 1 year ago.

I know, I understand what you mean,,... but when your having a debate it has to be around something concrete. No not ever teacher earns 60 but the average does so its a good place to start if looking at wages. Likewise lots of teachers earn alot more than 60k. We could also start there but why not start at the average. It has been very hard for the Public sector to deal with the issues in the last few months in these debates. Any time you mention wages they all seem to be earning less then the average (maybe the age profile on here doesnt help) but we still need to move forward in a thread and an average is surely a good place to start?

The PS seem as slippery as eels when it comes to wages. On VB the last night they were talking about gardai wages as 43k basic. Now I know a garda (office one) who earns over 60k a year, (bitta overtime etc), she told me. Her hubby is one also and earns say the same, thats 120k in one house, (well they have 3 houses but thats another debate.)

But hold on a minute-don't ye guys start on about €36,000 with allowances factored in??

That's about €10,000 over the average that graduates start out on-still not bad!

€10 over the average?
    More like 15!

I graduated from Computer Science and I was on 19k, 21k the following year after a promotion.
    I'm in industry 5 years now, plenty of industrial courses and I get €36k per annum which is effectively the ceiling, I have no pension either.
    And I'm the best paid out of all my friends who graduated with me.
    Mostly they're on €26-28k!

My jaw is touching the floor looking at those teachers salaries to be honest. These guys are living on another fcuking planet!!

Its no wonder none of us could afford to buy houses when we were competing with that!

dodgyme wrote: »
    I know, I understand what you mean,,... but when your having a debate it has to be around something concrete. No not ever teacher earns 60 but the average does so its a good place to start if looking at wages. Likewise lots of teachers earn alot more than 60k. We could also start there but why not start at the average. It has been very hard for the Public sector to deal with the issues in the last few months in these debates. Any time you mention wages they all seem to be earning less then the average (maybe the age profile on here doesnt help) but we still need to move forward in a thread and an average is surely a good place to start?

The PS seem as slippery as eels when it comes to wages. On VB the last night they were talking about gardai wages as 43k basic. Now I know a garda (office one) who earns over 60k a year, (bitta overtime etc), she told me. Her hubby is one also and earns say the same, thats 120k in one house, (well they have 3 houses but thats another debate.)

+1 it irritates me too. And even what they are earning they seriously seem to undervalue it.

€33k for a graduate is extremely good.

Its no wonder none of us could afford to buy houses when we were competing with that!
    Shhhhhh, it was all part of the pyramid scheme ;)

Hi, I started on €19k and worked for the summer. And that was 1 year ago.

unfortunately the school closed for the summer so i had no choice, i would have preferred to work and earn money! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

jimmmy wrote: »
    The private sector and ordinary citizen can get their own back in different ways. Offer the striking teachers a nice cup of tea, but do not tell them whats in it ;).

I a reminded of a person who worked in an auctioneers office , and who confirmed on this board, that in their experience most of the people who bought holiday homes were public servants, and specifically teachers.

Should people **** or piss into those cups jimmmy? Or is it plain straighforward poisoning. I'm fascinated to find out what you're proposing.

And on you're second point, yet again, you're talking made up rubbish.

€33k for a graduate is extremely good.[/quote]

i never disputed this, it was a good wage (i wasnt a graduate btw)

• Advertisement

littlebsci wrote: »

However, because the unions have voted to do so I, and other young members of my staff, have effectively been 'forced' to join just so we don't have to pass the picket on the 24th.

So there's the cost of a year's membership AND a day's pay down the drain!!

If you don't agree with the strike, go into work.

Stand up for yourself. And piss in the kettle, apparently.

A bunch of greedy parasites. It's funny how the people who are most well off tend to protest the most.

Yes, we cannot tax the rich.

They don't like it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

dresden8 wrote: »
    If you don't agree with the strike, go into work.

Stand up for yourself. And piss in the kettle, apparently.

Hasn't a clue.:( Did you read any of the threads that explained why it would be impossible for anyone without a perm. contract to cross the picket line?

To be honest I'm still shocked at those teacher's wages, I hadn't a clue they were so over paid.

If they were paid the average industrial wage, we could have 2 teachers for the price of 1.

These striking teachers would do well to remember that if one striking teacher paid 67k per year is laid off by the government, that'll cover the dole for them, mortgage relief and medical card for them and 2 other people.

When I was growing up, a teacher was an average job?
    What the hell happened?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cath37

Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1113/education.html

Teachers along with the rest of the public sector are members of the protected elite which includes govt ministers and bankers
    To hell with the rest of us How can they justify sacraficing our childrens education for their own gains
    Benchmarking paid for with property tax no property tax reverse benchmarking

rebel10 wrote: »
    Hasn't a clue.:( Did you read any of the threads that explained why it would be impossible for anyone without a perm. contract to cross the picket line?

I'm a public servant. I passed a picket line earlier this year.

Grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

gurramok wrote: »
    They do anything to protect that 60k average pay packet. (source Dept of Education http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0416/teachers.html)

Wow I'm speechless. So if my friend junior teacher is on ca 30k it means that there is another teacher somewhere near getting 90k? For 8 months work? Wow!

Cath37 wrote: »
    reverse benchmarking

There is no such thing. Benchmarking was made up and now when people explain what benchmarking is (i.e. up and DOWN) we start to hear about "reverse benchmarking" so what happened before wasnt benchmarking ...no?...it must have been "wage increase benchmarking" or "forward benchmarking"

I want to hear no more of this BS "reverse benchmarking",

dresden8 wrote: »
    I'm a public servant. I passed a picket line earlier this year.

Grow a pair.

great for you!:rolleyes:

however teachers who are covering maternity leave, subbing or those very uncertain of their jobs are not inclined to go against the principals and "moral majority" of the school. they want to hang on to their jobs too just like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

To be honest I'm still shocked at those teacher's wages, I hadn't a clue they were so over paid.

If they were paid the average industrial wage, we could have 2 teachers for the price of 1.

These striking teachers would do well to remember that if one striking teacher paid 67k per year is laid off by the government, that'll cover the dole for them, mortgage relief and medical card for them and 2 other people.

When I was growing up, a teacher was an average job?
    What the hell happened?:confused:

I'm absolutely astounded as well. I knew teachers were well-paid, but I had no idea they were this well paid. I used to be staunchly in favor of unions, but this is actually turning me against them. If it wasn't for the Irish requirement, we could easily replace a third of the teachers with a bunch of Polish people who could do the work with far less complaining. That's how things work in other industries like IT and construction.

Of course the real culprits here are Fianna Fail for not standing up to greedy vested interest groups and using our tax money to buy votes to keep themselves in power.

Advertisement