Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools to close on 24th November

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

EF wrote: »
    I presume you have assumed I am a highly paid teacher. Im not a teacher and Im not highly paid. I am making the point about the high cost of living.
    I will admit I assumed you were, for which I apologise. But the argument that you were putting forward is just illogical and no justification whatsoever for the role of teachers or the level of pay they deserve. Their role is to teach, it cannot be classified as babysitting also.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Kensington wrote: »
    Unfortunately, this recession is hitting everyone hard. No-one's mortgage is coming down along with their pay rates. Lots of loans were taken out based on the highs of the celtic tiger. The only somewhat relief is lower interest rates. And it's all very fine saying enough is enough but the scary reality is, the money simply isn't there to keep paying you the wages you get. The government have no choice but to make expenditure cuts. This will either be in the form of a pay-cut which everyone bears the brunt of, or they will start laying people off. There is no other way, despite what unions may pump out!

Because our government stupidly pumped our hard earned cash into a banking sytem where people are still losing their jobs in spite of the financial injection. When ministerial expenses are cut and I see sensible spending I'll believe the money is almost gone.
    What you guys in the public sector don't seem to realise is, the private sector don't have the luxury of being able to go out on strike yet know their jobs are safe. Mainly people in the private sector are and have taken cuts in pay, increased workloads, drops in conditions but what can they do? A lot of people know well to lie down and take it, else they'll be leaving the bosses office with their p45, fighting their way out of the building to get through the 100 other people waiting to take their place.

Well I do have the option of strike and I'm sorry but I'm taking it

Again, another shortsight of the teachers (and on a wider scale, the public sector). At this present moment in time, there is no shortage of teachers who are seeking work. They would gladly take your job, with lesser conditions, for maybe half the current average pay. To enter a profession where you effectively have a job for life - no amount of money could buy you that in other professions.

The issue of new contracts affects me as much as my colleagues, present and future. That's as big a part of our campaign as anything to do with money.
    I don't really see what it will achieve (at least in a positive light) for your profession either. I know what it will not achieve though, and that is the support of the public. It is going to cause a lot of inconvenience for those that do have jobs, but can't afford to take days off, arrange childcare on short notice etc.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SwanV

I'm a teacher. I take home 30k a year. I am embarrased to be striking.
    After four years of college and five years of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Look, I don't want to attack you, you are being honest and fair play to you for discussing it openly.

But that sounds like nothing more than plain old ugly greed.

Do you honestly believe anyone else will think otherwise?
    How will people support you?
    You are now giving the government a mandate to slaughter you, with public support

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Yay!!!! day off!! :)
    nice long sleep then :)

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    You earn well above the average industrial wage. Why do you feel obliged to point out that you have debts, insurance and a pension to pay, when just about every adult is in the same situation?? Do you not see how lucky you are to have stable employment? There are hundreds of thousands of folks out there with bigger commitments than you and on far less money. Show them a little solidarity will you. :mad:

Jesus, I'm sorry I answered the question now! I should have said the amount I earn gross and left it at that.

I am well aware that I am not the only person with financial commitments and I'm sorry for us all but mostly for myself
    Think about it. Think about what the average industrial wage is and remember those on it are paying tax and funding YOUR pay packet. The country is in dire straits and needs everyone to take a cut in living standards.

I have taken a cut in living standards, I've cut back on the usual things like everyone else - the nights out, take aways, trips to the cinema, clothes, breaks away. Just can't cut down my mortgage and other commitments unfortunately.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Look, I don't want to attack you, you are being honest and fair play to you for discussing it openly.

But that sounds like nothing more than plain old ugly greed.

Sorry if my tone is coming across as greedy, I only meant that as a member of my trade union the option is there for me and I feel there is no other way but to strike. I'm not militant by nature.
    Do you honestly believe anyone else will think otherwise?

In a word - no
    How will people support you?

I don't expect them to. Honestly. I'll apologise to the parents of the kids I'm letting down but hope in their hearts they know by now how dedicated I am to my job every second I have their kids in my care and that this decision has nothing to do with that.
    You are now giving the government a mandate to slaughter you, with public support

Oh I know :(

Because our government stupidly pumped our hard earned cash into a banking sytem where people are still losing their jobs in spite of the financial injection. When ministerial expenses are cut and I see sensible spending I'll believe the money is almost gone.
    The government had no choice but to pump money into the banking system. If they left it as is, the banks would have folded and this country would have gone to the wall by now. It won't create jobs, but it will prevent complete economic ruin of this country.

Will you though? It's all very fine saying you'd take a pay cut if the ministers, but if they came out tomorrow and announced all ministerial pay capped at €100,000, for example. Would you take a cut then? Honestly?
    No-one is denying you your right to strike. I just hope it does not pave way for serious repurcusions on teachers. Job cuts are not what are needed right now - both for those that will be affected and for the nation as a whole.
    The issue of new contracts affects me as much as my colleagues, present and future. That's as big a part of our campaign as anything to do with money.
    Have you seen these new conditions set in stone?
    What do they entail?
    What if you don't sign the new contract, will you be sacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I must say reading over this tread, you trachers are as greedy as people get!!! You make 50+ per hour, Amazing holidays, breaks, short days, yet you are still moaning about money !!! You teachers need to clim out of your own arse's and start to understand that its not just you who are taking a wage drop! My father lost his job for a month a while back, went from a decent wage to now 1/4 of what it was.... My mother works insane hours and every single penny of her money pays for the house and car.... We are pretty normal i terms of a family.... Teachers are bringing in great money, you need to cop on and stop taking the piss

(i do know not all teachers are like this, but the ones who are need a good kick up the arse!!!)

Im a student btw, and i only know one teacher who wants to strike in a school with 30+ teachers....

Just to clarify this point, the funds required for NAMA and the bank bailout are a separate issue.

The public sector wage is €19.8 Billion per annum and the Social Welfare bill is €21 billion per annum (and growing).
    This is verifiable on page 14 of the McCarthy report

These cuts are required to reduce current spending and reduced our defecit of €20 odd billion per annum.50% of the 4billion cuts to be achieved, will be wasted simply on cover the interest payments for our debt.

However, I fully support you with regard to your comment about Ministerial expenses, and this is the thing your union should be fighting for, the reform of Ministerial wages and expenses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Now YOU are justified in striking and I would fully support you in doing so.

Why did you not tackle this issue with your union!!??

Oh my God you are ridiculous!:eek: Now you have decided who can strike and who cannot? Well can i just remind you as said earlier, there are thousands of public sec. workers in this situation. So now we can rely on you to tell us who can and who can't strike. As far as i am concerned, every person in the public sec. without a perm. contract should not be facing these cuts, but then in reality that is ridiculous due to the fact that so many people in the pub. & priv. sectors are losing their jobs.
    Now, would love to see you trying to convince your union you are the only teacher who should not be obliged to take these cuts. :rolleyes:

The government had no choice but to pump money into the banking system. If they left it as is, the banks would have folded and this country would have gone to the wall by now. It won't create jobs, but it will prevent complete economic ruin of this country.

Will you though? It's all very fine saying you'd take a pay cut if the ministers, but if they came out tomorrow and announced all ministerial pay capped at €100,000, for example. Would you take a cut then? Honestly?

If there was leadership and solidarity from the top down, then yes. Honestly.
    No-one is denying you your right to strike. I just hope it does not pave way for serious repurcusions on teachers. Job cuts are not what are needed right now - both for those that will be affected and for the nation as a whole.

Have you seen these new conditions set in stone?
    What do they entail?
    What if you don't sign the new contract, will you be sacked?

There are a whole host of changes proposed to our contracts - far too many to try and recall on a Friday night I'm afraid but I'll try :) Basically morning and afternoon supervision of children; a longer working day to include staff and parent teacher meetings as well as planning and taking on duties previously held by post-holders (one of the few opportunities for promotion).

I honestly don't know if they enforce these contracts legally. I would think it's not as simple as just making us sign. Now if they were fair and for example contained real measures to get rid of underperforming dossers who milk the system, I'd be all in favour of a little give and take. However, the feeling I get from the recommendations is that we aren't trusted to do as much work as the powers that be would like. I do a heck of amount of planning and corrections but prefer the comfort of my own house rather than my freezing cold, mouse infested classroom - does that make me a waste of money because I leave just a half an hour after my day officially ends?!

rebel10 wrote: »
    Oh my God you are ridiculous!:eek: Now you have decided who can strike and who cannot? Well can i just remind you as said earlier, there are thousands of public sec. workers in this situation. So now we can rely on you to tell us who can and who can't strike. As far as i am concerned, every person in the public sec. without a perm. contract should not be facing these cuts, but then in reality that is ridiculous due to the fact that so many people in the pub. & priv. sectors are losing their jobs.
    Now, would love to see you trying to convince your union you are the only teacher who should not be obliged to take these cuts. :rolleyes:

His original quote - QFT
    I'm not a teacher but i'm a public servant and we have voted to strike aswell.
    I don't accept this notion that all public servants can be lumped together and told take a 7% paycut in the next budget (in addition to the great unmentionable pension levy).

I'm on 28K a year and am in my early 30's... why should I be put in the same bracket as a senior civil servant on 200K a year, or a consultant on 250K, or any other 50/60K plus earning public or civil servant.

The poster is on 28k per year (nor a teacher).
    This is in line with private rates of pay.
    A flat 7% tax will have a disproportionally heavy impact on him compared to a teacher earning in excess of 3 times his pay.
    His point is entirely defensible and I stand by my original comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Mister Man wrote: »
    I must say reading over this tread, you trachers are as greedy as people get!!! You make 50+ per hour, Amazing holidays, breaks, short days, yet you are still moaning about money !!!

Clearly you havn't read the thread because there have only been about 4 teachers on posting about the strike,and 3 said they were against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭GoldenEarring

Hi All,
    I'm a primary teacher with thirty years experience. It makes me sad to see the vitriol directed against teachers in particular. When I started out teaching, the parents were supportive and the children did as they were told. Now the parents are incredibly fussy, send in notes about the most trivial, petty and ridiculous issues, think their own children are SO bright, take their child's word over the teacher's every time and expect you to deal with other people's children (who are always the ones in the wrong). The children are , in my opinion, over-confident..they think they know better than the teacher..."No, this is the way you do the sum...actually I think my writing is very neat !!! Unbelievable!
    Our lunch break is an effective 25 minutes...and you're not allowed to leave the premises as you're ultimately responsible at all times for your pupils. 9 till threeish seems short in the context of an office job, but stuck in a room with up to 30 children the time seems like an eternity and you have to keep avoiding contact with the ones walking with headlice or who've just had a finger up their nose!!
    My take home weekly pay is 650....after 30 years and the other half is taken at source in tax/deductions. I don't think it's excessive. We have no choice when it comes to tax..unlike the people in the black economy during the tiger years.
    Teaching is really not as easy as it looks. Honestly. I think this whole public v private war is propaganda dreamt up by the mandarins and spin-doctors to deflect blame from the real culprits....themselves. Don't fall for it!

His original quote - QFT

The poster is on 28k per year (nor a teacher).
    This is in line with private rates of pay.
    A flat 7% tax will have a disproportionally heavy impact on him compared to a teacher earning in excess of 3 times his pay.
    His point is entirely defensible and I stand by my original comment.

Ok firstly, stop assuming every teacher is earning the same wage that a teacher who has been teaching for 25 yrs is earning. We are not. Have you even be bothered to look at the payscale? Please don't assume we are all on 60k. Most of the teachers on this thread are non perm. this means that we are earning, in many cases, much less than 28k a yr. I am so sick of having to say this. People are looking at the top earners in the profession and then going along with that figure. I have taken a 7% cut already this yr, to take another one is going to also cripple me. personal circumstances don't come into these cuts. :(

If there was leadership and solidarity from the top down, then yes. Honestly.
    Fair enough, point taken.
    There are a whole host of changes proposed to our contracts - far too many to try and recall on a Friday night I'm afraid but I'll try :) Basically morning and afternoon supervision of children; a longer working day to include staff and parent teacher meetings as well as planning and taking on duties previously held by post-holders (one of the few opportunities for promotion).
    Was there not a recent agreement whereby P&T meetings and staff meetings would be held outside of school hours? One that was agreed upon by all sides?

I don't know what morning and afternoon supervision involves so I can't comment.
    Now if they were fair and for example contained real measures to get rid of underperforming dossers who milk the system, I'd be all in favour of a little give and take. However, the feeling I get from the recommendations is that we aren't trusted to do as much work as the powers that be would like. I do a heck of amount of planning and corrections but prefer the comfort of my own house rather than my freezing cold, mouse infested classroom - does that make me a waste of money because I leave just a half an hour after my day officially ends?!
    If you do put the work in then fair play to you, genuinely. But I knew quite a few teachers where their day began at the opening bell and ended at the final bell. No work whatsoever was done outside of hours. And it showed in their classes and their year-on-year class average grades. Yet nothing was done.

It is unfair on the likes of you who put the work in. But this is something you should be fighting for, that there is fairness. Not fighting inevitable pay and condition cuts as one - how can you expect the public to support such demands? From what they can see, it's a 9-4 (sometimes even 9-3) day, with 4 months holidays. 4 months to work externally and earn every more money. And for many teachers, that is very true.

Ok firstly, stop assuming every teacher is earning the same wage that a teacher who has been teaching for 25 yrs is earning. We are not. Have you even be bothered to look at the payscale? Please don't assume we are all on 60k. Most of the teachers on this thread are non perm. this means that we are earning, in many cases, much less than 28k a yr. I am so sick of having to say this. People are looking at the top earners in the profession and then going along with that figure. I have taken a 7% cut already this yr, to take another one is going to also cripple me. personal circumstances don't come into these cuts. :(

We already established earlier that the average wage for teachers is 60k.
    The average industrial wage is 35k, anyone earning over that really doesn't have much moral ground in striking

I can't understand your second point.
    You are telling me that you don't earn very much, I'm saying I don't support people on low wages taking equal cuts to a teachers (or indeed ministers) far in excess of your current wage, and you're telling me to disregard it:confused:

This is WillieO'Deanomics
    Imo, The biggest problem with the public sector is not just the disparity between public and private pay, but the disparity between lower and higher public servants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Agreed.

the banking crisis has only compouned the countrys problems , the public sector and wellfare bill was always going to become a huge issue as the source of revenue ( property boom ) which funded both to thier gargantuan cost level was never going to last indefinatley , it was not income tax which funded the highest paid public sector in the eu and it wont be income tax that funds it in its present form now so their has to be cuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Hi All,
    I'm a primary teacher with thirty years experience. It makes me sad to see the vitriol directed against teachers in particular. When I started out teaching, the parents were supportive and the children did as they were told. Now the parents are incredibly fussy, send in notes about the most trivial, petty and ridiculous issues, think their own children are SO bright, take their child's word over the teacher's every time and expect you to deal with other people's children (who are always the ones in the wrong). The children are , in my opinion, over-confident..they think they know better than the teacher..."No, this is the way you do the sum...actually I think my writing is very neat !!! Unbelievable!
    Our lunch break is an effective 25 minutes...and you're not allowed to leave the premises as you're ultimately responsible at all times for your pupils. 9 till threeish seems short in the context of an office job, but stuck in a room with up to 30 children the time seems like an eternity and you have to keep avoiding contact with the ones walking with headlice or who've just had a finger up their nose!!
    My take home weekly pay is 650....after 30 years and the other half is taken at source in tax/deductions. I don't think it's excessive. We have no choice when it comes to tax..unlike the people in the black economy during the tiger years.
    Teaching is really not as easy as it looks. Honestly. I think this whole public v private war is propaganda dreamt up by the mandarins and spin-doctors to deflect blame from the real culprits....themselves. Don't fall for it!

yeah , everyone who criticises the public sector or believes they are over paid is a glove puppett of either the goverment or the media

time for the unions to come up with new slogans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Ok firstly, stop assuming every teacher is earning the same wage that a teacher who has been teaching for 25 yrs is earning. We are not. Have you even be bothered to look at the payscale? Please don't assume we are all on 60k.

So how come that the average teacher's pay (data supplied by INTO) is 60k, as linked up thread? I am not attacking you, I am genuinely curious. If there so and so many teachers on 30k as witnessed in this thread there must be just as many on 90k to balance it out. Who are they? Where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SwanV

Teacher's in the job 30 years +
    ???????????????????????

We already established earlier that the average wage for teachers is 60k.
    The average industrial wage is 35k, anyone earning over that really doesn't have much moral ground in striking
    I can't understand your second point.
    You are telling me that you don't earn very much, I'm saying I don't support people on low wages taking equal cuts to a teachers (or indeed ministers) far in excess of your current wage, and you're telling me to disregard it:confused:

My second point was again that there are thousands of us earning under the industrial wage, but, again its not like you can rule out teachers like me taking a pay cut, just because we earn less than the average wage. From experience, the unions are not interested in us because we are not permanent, so may not be paying into their wallets next year. Its all public sector workers who are being hit regardless of take home pay. those that are only teaching for four hours a week will also be taking the cuts. I appreciate your concerns for us teachers who are not earning big money and am not giving you a hard time, but what is going to be hard on tues 24th is the people confronting us and claiming that we are greedy, when we all know this is far from the truth.
    Thanks for the willie o' d words of wisdom, never thought id say it bout a f.f.er but never a truer word.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Katiex

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    The teachers in Ireland do not know how well off they are. 3 months hols in the summer, 2 weeks Christmas and Easter, and 2 half terms thrown in. Do not have to have parent teacher meeting for every class every term after school like other countries but manage one per year and usually during school hours, while it is after school everywhere else. No school league tables etc. Hell they do as they want and are paid well for it in real terms. Maybe they are complaining because they get too much?

My Mam is a primary school teacher and I have to say it's horrible to read the things people are posting here. Last week my Mam's school had an overall evaluation and for over a month every single night she wrote note after note, she even spent her entire mid-term writing them, and stayed after school every day for about 3 hours. Now, You say they can do as they please? The evaluation is over now, my Mam is still in school for an extra hour and a half doing corrections. You give out about the holidays? You think the kids should be in school longer? My family's income has been cut severely by the new budget, just like any other's, and my Dad is now unemployed. You all may think teaching is a doss job, that they have all the time in the world to relax and do as they please, and get paid soooo much money for it, but what about when parents use the teacher as a babysitter, and leave their child in the classroom for up to an hour, every day? What about when every evening the teachers can't relax as they have so many corrections to do and lessons to plan. My Mam loves her job, but works extremely hard for it. You all should be ashamed of yourselves for saying such rubbish about teachers. Ignorance, that's all it is.

herya wrote: »
    So how come that the average teacher's pay (data supplied by INTO) is 60k, as linked up thread? I am not attacking you, I am genuinely curious. If there so and so many teachers on 30k as witnessed in this thread there must be just as many on 90k to balance it out. Who are they? Where are they?

Ok, not an economics teacher, but will try and figure this out. After 25 years of service a teacher is entitled to earn 60k p.a. Then, these teachers can take on posts of responsibility, i.e. year heads, media spokesperson, home/school liason officer, first aid officer, chaplaincy, list goes on. Generally in most schools, the teachers who are there longest will be favoured when applying for these posts. Now, these posts vary in their pay but it is avaliable on the asti website under "payscale". I am assuming, and God as i said, i am not an expert, these posts would possibly make up the extra figures. Also before i forget, teachers with a masters or any further qualifications also earn more than someone with an honours degree and H dip. alone. Then you also have your principals & deputy principals, who are obviously on a much higher wage. Not sure if that clears up some of the mystery, i myself find it a bit of a mystery.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Why do you feel obliged to point out that you have debts, insurance and a pension to pay, when just about every adult is in the same situation?? Do you.

I am in the PS (I am not but lets pretend)

PERSON: ok Mr PS who much do you earn?

After tax I earn very little. I pay tax and a pension you know, I pay a contribution towards my childrens pension fund for when I get married and meet a man
    I earn 750 per every 2 weeks apart from once a month each leap year where I get 65 after tax per week. I have to pay for my car washing up liquid and washing up liquid for my car and gelotine. Not every PS earns that kind of money, the average is distorted with the sum of the people in making it and hence is not right and I earn that much per sq metre

My second point was again that there are thousands of us earning under the industrial wage, but, again its not like you can rule out teachers like me taking a pay cut, just because we earn less than the average wage.
    OK, but why is that?
    Why did you not tackle it with your union!!??
    From experience, the unions are not interested in us because we are not permanent, so may not be paying into their wallets next year.
    So if the unions are not representing your interests, why are you prepared to strike, or why don't you join a union who does support you?

Otherwise, it looks like you are quite pleased to take the same cuts proportionately as the greedy teachers in front of you.
    Its all public sector workers who are being hit regardless of take home pay. those that are only teaching for four hours a week will also be taking the cuts. I appreciate your concerns for us teachers who are not earning big money and am not giving you a hard time,
    Thank you
    but what is going to be hard on tues 24th is the people confronting us and claiming that we are greedy, when we all know this is far from the truth.
    But can you not see my point?
    You are not representing under paid workers (yourselves), you are representing grossly overpaid workers.
    Its like black people in favour of apartheid, I just don't get it:confused:

Thanks for the willie o' d words of wisdom, never thought id say it bout a f.f.er but never a truer word.:)

LOL, those were my words.:D
    IMO= in my opinion.

Willieodenomics just means an argument which defies all logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matthew712

The state and the corrupt union heads want this one day strike. As an ASTI member who lost 9 days pay fighting against benchmarking, I remembered all those who said we were wrong! The best thing to do is to be sick from Monady 23rd to Wednesday 25th. This way you don't lose a days pay and it costs the state 3 days pay, and you create employment for unemployed sub teachers.
    Now thats a protest!!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

segaBOY wrote: »
    Even look at the ASTI's poster-basically making up your mind for you by using scaremongering.

http://www.asti.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Vote_Yes_Poster.pdf

A YES VOTE
    • HELPS TO PROTECT YOUR CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
    • HELPS TO PROTECT YOUR SALARY
    • HELPS TO PROTECT YOUR PENSION

From the above flyer - They have now voted yes and come budget day they will realise what voting yes will have achieved. Cut in Salary and pension

Katiex wrote: »
    My Mam is a primary school teacher and I have to say it's horrible to read the things people are posting here. Last week my Mam's school had an overall evaluation and for over a month every single night she wrote note after note, she even spent her entire mid-term writing them, and stayed after school every day for about 3 hours. Now, You say they can do as they please? The evaluation is over now, my Mam is still in school for an extra hour and a half doing corrections. You give out about the holidays? You think the kids should be in school longer? My family's income has been cut severely by the new budget, just like any other's, and my Dad is now unemployed. You all may think teaching is a doss job, that they have all the time in the world to relax and do as they please, and get paid soooo much money for it, but what about when parents use the teacher as a babysitter, and leave their child in the classroom for up to an hour, every day? What about when every evening the teachers can't relax as they have so many corrections to do and lessons to plan. My Mam loves her job, but works extremely hard for it. You all should be ashamed of yourselves for saying such rubbish about teachers. Ignorance, that's all it is.

You're naive KatieX, do you think it is fair that your mother puts in all this work and gets paid the same as a useless good for nothing teacher. No it's not and it's this type of reform that is needed.

You hear all the teachers complaining about how hard and stressful the job is but how many change career and give up the job if thats the case, probably very few because of the remuneration available. They have an option, they don't have to stay teachers if it is so awful

• Advertisement

Katiex wrote: »
    My Mam is a primary school teacher and I have to say it's horrible to read the things people are posting here. Last week my Mam's school had an overall evaluation and for over a month every single night she wrote note after note, she even spent her entire mid-term writing them, and stayed after school every day for about 3 hours.

Now, You say they can do as they please? The evaluation is over now, my Mam is still in school for an extra hour and a half doing corrections. You give out about the holidays? You think the kids should be in school longer?
    Your mam has to leave work at 4.30 the odd day.
    I leave at 6.30pm everyday and before a release, I mightn't leave until 10pm and work Saturdays for free.
    If I screw up the release, my ass is on the street.
    And I get 22days holidays per year.
    My family's income has been cut severely by the new budget, just like any other's, and my Dad is now unemployed.
    Many of our partners are unemployed and we are receiving substantially less money on our wage to begin with.
    You all may think teaching is a doss job, that they have all the time in the world to relax and do as they please, and get paid soooo much money for it, but what about when parents use the teacher as a babysitter, and leave their child in the classroom for up to an hour, every day? What about when every evening the teachers can't relax as they have so many corrections to do and lessons to plan.
    Studying after work and doing industrial courses is a given, lifelong requirement in IT.
    My Mam loves her job, but works extremely hard for it.
    As do I.
    I don't believe I am entitled to x,y,z for it tho.
    You all should be ashamed of yourselves for saying such rubbish about teachers. Ignorance, that's all it is.

To me, your argument appears entirely irrational.
    Could you please elaborate as to why its ignorance?

Advertisement