Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 trip advice needed

Options
  • 13-11-2009 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has gone overseas for a F1 Grand Prix? I'm thinking of of organising a trip for next season for me and a few mates, still looking at the options as regards which race.

Just wondering which GP did you go to, was it worth it? and where can I get the best deals?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Going to a GP is pretty easy. It does depend a little on which race you go to and how much money you want to spend.

But your going to need to be a _lot_ more specific on what you want from a GP weekend.

If someone is can drive is willing to hire a car and your all willing to stay in some tents why not go to Spa.

Or for a more party weekend why not to Barcelona. The track at Montmelo is only 30km away.

Or Budapest. Or Valenica. I mean, Valencia would be a very easy GP to start with. Stay in the city and a cheap taxi or bus/metro will take you right to track in a few minutes.

I just buy the tickets from the organiser directly. All the tracks have a website.

If you a F1 fan, then yes, it is worth it. Being right beside the cars at the start is a very impressive sight and sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭shamrock321

zeris is right, if you have somebody to drive go to Spa and look up accomidation is Malmedy. If its your first GP avoid Monza, Ive been twice and it gives a very bad first impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

If it is your first time at a GP , I would suggest going to England as all the commentry is in english and you will know who is in what place .It is more expencive but at other races , it is very easy to lose track of who is in what position unless you understand the local language .

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

Been to Monaco a few times.Stay in Nice, cheap hotels,20 min train journey to Monaco,trains run regularly and bring you right into the town beside the track.
    I buy my tickets direct from monaco motor club site.great buzz about the town.I dont normally buy the tickets for sat qualifying as it is shown on large screens in most bars,and you still have the sound of the cars nearby.
    Tickets for sunday's race cost from €60 sitting on the hill to €450 sitting above the harbour.If you go onto the monaco gp site you can get a virtual tour of the track and the view from different seats.I would get seats with a view of one of the big screens,as its hard to follow the race without the info on the screens

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

se conman wrote: »
    If it is your first time at a GP , I would suggest going to England as all the commentry is in english and you will know who is in what place .It is more expencive but at other races , it is very easy to lose track of who is in what position unless you understand the local language .

That is why I always rent a Kangaroo TV. Problem sorted.

Besides, the commentary over the PA is usually dual language with a local commenter and Bob Constanduros doing the English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

zeris wrote: »
    That is why I always rent a Kangaroo TV. Problem sorted.

Besides, the commentary over the PA is usually dual language with a local commenter and Bob Constanduros doing the English.

Yeah the Kangaroo makes a hell of a difference, had it at Le Mans this year for the 24 hours and it was deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

zeris is right, if you have somebody to drive go to Spa and look up accomidation is Malmedy. If its your first GP avoid Monza, Ive been twice and it gives a very bad first impression.

Really?

Its interesting you say that because my first was Monza in September just gone and I adored every minute of it. Literally cant wait to get back and I think I'll do Istanbul and Spa in addition to Monza next year. Why did it give you a bad impression?

Only downer from Monza for me was we booked tickets off F1.com and when we got there on Sat morning there was a ridiculous que...took us well over an hour to get tickets and almost missed some of the qualifying so be wary of that. Next time I book Id be looking for somewhere that mails out proper tickets tbh.

Going to a GP can actually work out quite cheap and I think its an excellent experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭shamrock321

Ive been to Monza twice in 2007 and again this year. Copared to to other tracks it hard to get to, its a rip off and the people are horrible! Compared to Spa. Hockenheim and Nurburgring I rate Monza low in terms of organisations. Going to Budapest nest year! Possibly Canada aswell.

Advertisement