Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E60 (530DSE 2008) First oil change

Options
  • 13-11-2009 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Lads,

Have to get the oil changed and called a BMW Main Dealer and was quoted €280 for oil change and €380 for oil + microfilter change.. Is this reasonable charge or will I get a better deal up north?

The car is about 18 months old (UK Import last september) with CBS, about 15000 kms on the clock and I'm mulling holding off the oil change for a couple of months (do around 500 kms a month) and have the oil changed along with the First Inspection in Feb 2010.. Would it save me money and will it be ok?

Thanks for your help!

Mods: Did a search, but didn't find any appropriate threads, feel free to merge into another thread if you deem fit..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

What are they doing for the 280 euro? Just the oil and oil filter or are they giving it a proper service?

Either way seems very expensive to me! Few of the BMW guys are always on about AC cars in dublin as one of the best indos to go for

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

What are they doing for the 280 euro? Just the oil and oil filter or are they giving it a proper service?

Either way seems very expensive to me! Few of the BMW guys are always on about AC cars in dublin as one of the best indos to go for

No service, just the oil filter..

Considering AC cars, but the car is still newish and under warranty (18 months more to go, so wondering if a BMWSH is preferable..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

reb73 wrote: »

Considering AC cars, but the car is still newish and under warranty (18 months more to go, so wondering if a BMWSH is preferable..
    Rock and hard place...
    If you go with BMW you'll keep the service history and helps resale, but for that price you'd get a full service on a regular car i.e. nissan, toyota

And yes €280 is a scandalous price for just an oil change, you could do it your self in 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Rock and hard place...
    If you go with BMW you'll keep the service history and helps resale, but for that price you'd get a full service on a regular car i.e. nissan, toyota

And yes €280 is a scandalous price for just an oil change, you could do it your self in 15 mins
    Aye 25 quids for a bottle o' Castrol and some free elbow grease, then yer sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The old for that car would be alot more than €25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If I seen your car with FSH instead of BMWSH I wouldn't really mind that much. Once the garages in the book are reputable and the service history isn't skimping on anything important.

Car I was looking at last year had a service book with all the receipts of everything bought for the car. From bulbs to oil. Most of the services were done by the owner himself and had all the receipts dated and milage recorded on them. I was pretty impressed. A year later and I'm doing the same on my car :)

As mickdw says, the Oil would be more. Fully synthetic I presume and many many litres needed for that 3 litre engine which probably has a good size sump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Lads,

The car is about 18 months old (UK Import last september) with CBS, about 15000 kms on the clock and I'm mulling holding off the oil change for a couple of months (do around 500 kms a month) and have the oil changed along with the First Inspection in Feb 2010.. Would it save me money and will it be ok?

The car is almost 18 months old, and hasnt had an oil change yet? I'd get it done sooner rather than later if I were you. The most I'd leave it is 12 months.

If you dont get it done, and something goes wrong (which would be as a result of not changing oil) your warranty could be void.

mickdw wrote: »
    The old for that car would be alot more than €25.

+1

Id say the oil for that car would probably be in the region of 70euro for 5 litres for fully synthetic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

+1
    Id say the oil for that car would probably be in the region of 70euro for 5 litres for fully synthetic stuff.
    EUR25 / 5litres? You guys are way off.
    I did my mother's 535d couple of weeks ago, the 530/535d use a whopping 8.5litres of oil. Got the Oil for about EUR110 in Halfords (Motor Factors wasnt open),

-2x 5litres of Mobil 1 ESP Fully Synth - EUR110 (there was cheaper options, but Im a believer in good oil)
    -1x Oil Filter - EUR10 or less (Halfords dont have this under 535d, the one from an X5 3.0d is the same though)
    Got 2 free Golf Umbrellas with the oil (they are actually quite good).

Halfords usually have 20% off 5litre tubs, had the Umbrellas offer that week though. Used the remaining oil and some I had from our 530i (same oil) to change the sludge in my brothers 350z.

Why are they charging you an extra EUR100 for the filter change? Its like a EUR1 part and 5min extra work (and ontop of the engine so super easy to get to). Sure you got that price correct?

The most important part here.. do no put ****e oil into a modern performance diesel. "EUR25 shops own brand" will not cut it.

The car is almost 18 months old, and hasnt had an oil change yet? I'd get it done sooner rather than later if I were you. The most I'd leave it is 12 months.

If you dont get it done, and something goes wrong (which would be as a result of not changing oil) your warranty could be void.

Its on CBS (Condition Based Servicing) and is supposed to prompt me with service messages as and when necessary..I've had it for just over 12 months now having bought it when it was 6 months old from a main dealer in UK, so perhaps the oil was changed before I bought it..

Just checked up north (Bavarian BMW) and was quoted 200-230 sterling, so not much of a saving really..

I'd rather not try the oil change myself for the time being, but will check with AC cars and see if there's much to save going with them..

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    EUR25 / 5litres? You guys are way off.
    Why are they charging you an extra EUR100 for the filter change? Its like a EUR1 part and 5min extra work (and ontop of the engine so super easy to get to). Sure you got that price correct?

Thought the microfilter was the Cabin Air Filter (2 nos) which are between 50-70 quid for genuine ones if I'm not mistaken..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Thought the microfilter was the Cabin Air Filter (2 nos) which are between 50-70 quid for genuine ones if I'm not mistaken..

Ah think you are right, the Cabin filter pricing from BMW is really OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

I'd rather not try the oil change myself for the time being, but will check with AC cars and see if there's much to save going with them..

Don't forget that they don't use genuine BMW parts so if anything fails in your engine.................

Better to supply the parts to them yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lidl have fully synthetic oil at the moment (some stores anyway) for €5 per litre. It has BMW approval (among others).

Don't bother replying with "Lidl = crap" etc. I don't care. See here.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3 half cracked

Just got my service done in Abbyfeale in Limerick 05 535 d.Priced Bmw dealer 500+..Abbyfeale was way cheaper .The guy speaks german worked in Germany for years orders all his part from BMW of germany.Micro filters ,Oil and fuel filter and oil.Computer reset.No prob.Gerry collins o68 32404

Sorry for the wrong spelling.Some ppl are real ANAL LOL.Only trying to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Just got my service done in Abbyfield in Limerick 05 535 d.Priced Bmw dealer 500+..Abbyfield was way cheaper .The guy speaks german worked in Germany for years orders all his part from BMW of germany.Micro filters ,Oil and fuel filter and oil.Computer reset.No prob.Gerry collins o68 32404
    In this guy's defense, if he was a shill, he probably would have spelled Abbeyfeale correctly. And yes, the garage is quite good. There is nothing funnier than a guy with a north kerry accent breaking into fluent german.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 half cracked

Whats a shill?lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

Does nobody do run-in services any more? Curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

Rock and hard place...

The oil is at least €70 and the microfilter is between €50-70. €140 for labour is scandalous.

Make sure the parts are BMW genuine, you have a 3 year warranty with that car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Shires wrote: »
    Does nobody do run-in services any more? Curious.

you dont have to on the new age BMW's.
    you could if you want i suppose but while its under warranty i wouldnt be touching it other than the OBC reconmendations.

• Advertisement

rohatch wrote: »
    The oil is at least €70 and the microfilter is between €50-70. €140 for labour is scandalous.

Make sure the parts are BMW genuine, you have a 3 year warranty with that car.

I got this stuff for my VW (its VW 507) it also meets BMW Longlife - 04 so suitable for 535d.

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/e_3706.html

Bought it in Otto in cork for 70euro for 5 litres so for a 8.5 litre sump (140euro). They also supply parts which are made by the same suppliers (but dont have the BMW, VW...what ever stamp on them) for instance they stock Mann, Blisten parts among others and cheaper than the main dealer.

Had a quick look on eurocar parts and you can get micofilters for 25sterling for the 5 series

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_5+Series_530_3.0_2007/p/Car-Parts/Service-Parts/Regular-Service/Pollen-Filters

Lads, just a quick update on my original post in this thread..

Got the Engine Oil/ Brake Fluid changed and two Microfilter sorted out in M&G in Dublin and the total bill was just under €270. Total labour incl VAT was around €80ish which is a great price for a main dealer..

Considering the BMW value line service for E39 is €173 and this doesn't include the Brake Fluid Change which would be about €50ish, I believe €270 for an the E60LCI is extremely competitive :D

Even the BMW dealers up north (checked with 3-4 of them) were not this competitive..

Sound bunch of lads in M&G, highly recommended..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi reb73, if you were planning on long term ownership it would be no harm to do an oil & filter change yourself between recommended service intervals. It might help lengthen engine life.
    I know long life fully synthetic oil is meant to last longer but I am a cynic! Still though at ~€15* per litre with 8.5 litres required it might make you avoid doing it more often than actually needed.
    The previous generation 5 Series 6cyl (e39) takes 6.5 litres, I thought this was Bad!

On Ger Collins in Abbeyfeale, he is good, I know a few people that use him & are happy with him. To be honest he is normally so busy he would not need to come on here a "shill" his business.

*Depends where you buy & in what quantity container

Advertisement