Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotlights Blowing Continuosly

• 13-11-2009 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭

Hi , got called to a house this morning where the guy has all spotlights in the upstairs area , they keep blowing every 10 days or so for the last couple of years & he is spending a small fortune on bulbs . They take the regular pear shape bulbs - not the lowlights .

There is no transformer with any of the lights so im presuming thats the problem ? That said he doesnt want to change out all the lights to include trafos as its to costly to him - If i recomend the long life low energy bulbs will they reduce the consistency at which they blow ?

Another thing - whoever wired the house previously connected in the timer for the central heating into the 10 amp lighting breaker , i know this needs a breaker for itself but what im wondering is would this have any affect whatsoever on the lights? The heating has been working fine .

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi , got called to a house this morning where the guy has all spotlights
    Do you mean downlighters?
    There is no transformer with any of the lights so im presuming thats the problem ?

Are they GU10s like this:
    gu10.jpg
    GU10s tend not to last too long. Voltage fluctuations in the supply can shorten their life span dramatically! Using quality transformers means that the lamp has a much more constant voltage, with the supply fluctuations "smoothed out". This extends lamp life enormously.
    That said he doesnt want to change out all the lights to include trafos as its to costly to him
    It amy be cheaper in the long run! Also the 12 volt are far "higher efficacy", which basically means more light produced for the same running cost (about 40%).
    If i recomend the long life low energy bulbs will they reduce the consistency at which they blow ?
    Yes, but you may find that the following may be an issue for him:
    1) The light "quality" may not be as good
    2) With some of them they take a while to turn on fully
    3) They may not be dimmable
    4) Some of these are quite expensive!
    whoever wired the house previously connected in the timer for the central heating into the 10 amp lighting breaker
    I see nothing wrong with that. A boiler is a very small load.
    would this have any affect whatsoever on the lights?
    No, not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If the insulation is sitting on top of them with no air gap around them i find it kills the lamp a lot quicker. Havent seen it as bad as this case though.

You could put in a voltage recorder and see what the supply is like, other than that cant think of much else, 2011 covered the rest

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the insulation is sitting on top of them with no air gap around them i find it kills the lamp a lot quicker
    True!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Heat build up is the most common cause of DOA with these, I find.

I'd suggest changing out for LEDs as they fail, personally. I'd do it in my own installation, but I haven't lost a GU10 in about three years (and I have lots!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

The bulbs he's using at the moment are these bad boys U301.jpg he had a different spark in about a year ago who said they were overheating & he supposedly cleared away the insulation in the attic above the lights - yet the problem persists .

I should mention the premises is actually an office but it used to be a house , when he lived there he never had any such problems but when he converted it into the office about 5 years ago the problem became apparent - he said he added in a good few more lights to what was originally there. Surely if there was too many lights off the 1 breaker it would trip out instead of blowing yes?

• Advertisement

Too many lights on the circuit would not cause the lamp life to reduce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Aside from bulb/installation issues.Other Possible issues with incandescents are over-voltage,voltage disturbances and contact problems in the installation.
    Surge diversion can be a consideration as well sometimes ,but there is a maintenace aspect to it(modules have to be replaced)

Advertisement