Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potholes in our roads

Options
  • 13-11-2009 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I want to know peoples views on this one..

I was coming out of my estate Wednesday night and as always I was driving along dodging all the pot holes on the road outside which everyone in the area has been complaining about for the past year.I went straight into one of them..the noise was horrible. Its really dangerous as you have to drive on the other side of the road to avoid them narrowly missing the oncoming traffic or up on the path and nearly knock pedestrians down... So anyway I get out in the lashings of rain to check my wheel and everything seemed ok, It wasnt until the next morning that I was going out to work that I realised my wheel was f****d and my alloy was bent..Im just wondering what exactly has to happen before the councils fill all these pot holes and what exactly is it we pay road tax for???:mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Your council has a section to which you may send the bill for the new alloy . This one in Galway took out at least 15 wheels yesterday morning .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

As has been pointed out many times in various Boards forums, it isn't a road tax, it's a motor tax. If I remember rightly the government allows local authorities to retain all such taxes for vehicles taxed in their areas, but it goes into their general funds and is not specifically ringfenced for roads. So we motorists are paying an extra tax but getting nothing in return for it -- so what else is new?

Given that, what puzzles me is that our road is poorly constructed and gets potholes all the time. Last year the council used to come and fill them in with a bit of blacktop every week, but now they seem to have stopped doing that and some of the holes are now craters. No doubt they will claim that the recession is the problem, but sure their income has not changed, has it?

When I had a wheel damaged by a hole I claimed from the council, and after applying a lot of pressure I got my costs refunded. Worth a try. Take a photo of the hole and the wheel and claim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 NikkiXxX

I rang them yesterday and they said they'd "get back to me" ughhhh it pisses me off coz they got loads of complaints about it over the past year..And ye your right about them just filling it with blacktop and then a week later its just as bad!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

Maybe you should have went to specsavers

DEG viper wrote: »
    Maybe you should have went to specsavers
    Feck off john!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Was just about to post about the pot hole on the Monivea Road in Co.Galway. I was told 17 cars fell victim to that hole yesterday. It's near Laffertys Pub on the road.

Its terrible and not only are the cars in danger but what about poor cyclists cycling in the dark....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Moved from Infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Write a letter of complaint with pictures of said hole and damage acknowledging legal avenues to get compensation. I did and got compensated.

gurramok wrote: »
    Write a letter of complaint with pictures of said hole and damage acknowledging legal avenues to get compensation. I did and got compensated.
    I will indeed thanks for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I hit a nice one today on the R576 which is ripping up all over the place. I wouldn't mind only that I got my tracking and wheels balanced earlier in the day.

As there are less coffers in the county councils kitty I expect to see potholes as good as the ones seen on the boreens in Co. Tipp early next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yep just as soon as the first frosts hit, we'll be back to 1987 pothole-wise

• Registered Users Posts: 78,366 ✭✭✭✭Victor

NikkiXxX wrote: »
    Im just wondering what exactly has to happen before the councils fill all these pot holes
    Tell them.
    what exactly is it we pay road tax for???:mad:
    No such thing as road tax. :)

Victor wrote: »
    Tell them.

No such thing as road tax. :)
    Well motor tax

Advertisement