Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Industry Graduate advise

• 13-11-2009 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi all

I need some advice.
    I qualified with a 1 class Bsc(Honours) in Software Systems 2 years ago.
    I got a job on the back of that working a developer but I got let go in June of this year.
    I had an interview in June that made me realise that the tools and framework I learned during my two years were abolutely useless in any other environments. I feel so frustrated and wanted to go and do a masters and find I cannot get full time funding for it.
    I'm 43 and cant help getting the feeling that this is going against me with companies.:mad:

A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

aidan_mc wrote: »
    I'm 43 and cant help getting the feeling that this is going against me with companies.:mad:
    Ouch...what tools did you use in your previous job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aidan_mc

I used java with eclipse and Tomcat but they had ecapsulated all the hibernate functions into a class :(. However the the frame work and UI / database tools were bespoke tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,259 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The framework and development tools you've used shouldn't matter so much. Development is far more about a mindset than a particular language or tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aidan_mc

Interesting idea but every job advert I look at involves some type of experience with development tools, language,database or framework

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

I used java with eclipse and Tomcat but they had ecapsulated all the hibernate functions into a class :(. However the the frame work and UI / database tools were bespoke tools.

Good Java skills should be marketable, as should experience with Eclipse and Tomcat. All are widely used in the Software Industry.

It would help you greatly if you could demonstrate that you have some analysis and software design skills and demonstrate this with references to work you did in your previous job. If/when called to interview, talk in terms of what you did, not the team. Be prepared to be asked technical questions and to link your answers to previous work.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try and answer them.
    Good luck with your search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I know this might be a bit late but there are some handy tips over on this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055742339

especially CuLT's post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63052750&postcount=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...I'm 43 and cant help getting the feeling that this is going against me with companies....

I don't think so. Its a technical career. IMO, experience and skills is all that matters, its all about what you can do now today. Technical skills, people skills and experience and maturity counts for a lot. Lots of places have bespoke frameworks. That said you have to sell yourself on a CV and interview. Perhaps do some certs, to stand out from all the other Java people out there. If you want to broaden your experience fast, go contracting, even if the money isn't great, the objective would be to improve your CV and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Tools and frameworks really *shouldn't* matter that much.
    You might be a bit over defensive about it ( and your age ) in the interviews ?

I think employers are a little more picky these days , but I think you have a v ery good chance of getting a job.

1st class degrees in SW are still pretty rare things and as you have a bit of work experience as well you are well ahead of the pack.

Just out of interest were you working in SW before the degree as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Joan brophy

Hi all

I need some advice.
    I qualified with a 1 class Bsc(Honours) in Software Systems 2 years ago.
    I got a job on the back of that working a developer but I got let go in June of this year.
    I had an interview in June that made me realise that the tools and framework I learned during my two years were abolutely useless in any other environments. I feel so frustrated and wanted to go and do a masters and find I cannot get full time funding for it.

A
    My son is putting down on cao form presently the course you did. Have you any advise to give re same
    :confused::confused:

Advertisement