Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build. Need cpu/ram/mobo

Options
  • 13-11-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

So ive decided to put the build together now as ive just received a nice tax back from the taxman. Ive already ordered the corsaid 800D case.Im really stuck between i5 and i7 1156 or should i stay with 1366. I already have the two 5870's so the mobo must support crossfireX. Im hoping for 8-12gb of ram. Plan on some nice overclocking too, and watercooling after mas when my bonus comes through :D

I'd like the components to be able to handle a decent overclock, but also not cost the earth, i mean im not spending 400-500euro just on a x58.

Suggestions more then welcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Well, the i5 has some fantastic overclocks and even an x16/x4 mobo will give you around 95% of the performance of an x16/x16 in crossfire.

If you already have the 1366 mobo (and RAM too presumably) why not just get the best CPU you can?

Out of curiousity, what are you going to do with 12gb of RAM? :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah i have a i7 and a 1366 mobo already, but this is a second seperate build. I guess maybe 12gb is a bit too much, so i'll settle with 6/8gb. Nothing i'll be doing which will be gaming and doing the odd bit of encoding and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Most of the mid level to high end X58 mobos do both sli and crossfire execpt EVGA which only seem to do sli so its kinda down to whichever brand or specs you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Anti wrote: »
    Ive already ordered the corsaid 800D case.
    I want one :( Absolutely fantastic case that.
    Im really stuck between i5 and i7 1156 or should i stay with 1366. I already have the two 5870's so the mobo must support crossfireX. Im hoping for 8-12gb of ram. Plan on some nice overclocking too, and watercooling after mas when my bonus comes through :D

I'd like the components to be able to handle a decent overclock, but also not cost the earth, i mean im not spending 400-500euro just on a x58.

Suggestions more then welcome :D

my money is on LGA1366. Too many questions surrounding overclocking LGA1156 at the moment, plus you have the limitations of the crippled northbridge (which i know wont affect most people but I think could hinder future upgrade potential. For example, we've no idea how fermi will scale in SLI yet).

Asus P6T Deluxe v2 seems to be highly recommended. Good all rounder, loads of features, nice price and good over-clockability i think. The EVGA's are also nice, but seem pricey in comparison. Don't know much about the other's tbh.

Asus P6T Deluxe v2[/URL] seems to be highly recommended. Good all rounder, loads of features, nice price and good over-clockability i think. The EVGA's are also nice, but seem pricey in comparison. Don't know much about the other's tbh.

Gygabyte's upper end boards seem very popular as well and doing well in the reviews.

• Advertisement

This is what i've gone with so far:

03019355871661454027.jpg

Still need to add in a few bits and pieces.

Anti the Corsair 800d case is claimed to be not great for an air cooled system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yMF6etqAw&feature=related

Fair few folks complaining about it on the Corsair forums as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Hmm, A Corsair case that forces you to buy a Corsair Water Cooling Solution?

Whodathunkit! :P

Venom wrote: »
    Anti the Corsair 800d case is claimed to be not great for an air cooled system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yMF6etqAw&feature=related

Fair few folks complaining about it on the Corsair forums as well.

Cheers for that, spent the last good while checking that out. apparently the stock fans move 18cfm... Which is a bit of a joke really, no big deal though as i have a good amount of fans here to instantly replace. And the best part is i do plan to add some watercooling after xmas when the bonus comes in. I think i might even get one of them h50's too at the beginning as they seems to be getting really good reviews.

Cheers for that, spent the last good while checking that out. apparently the stock fans move 18cfm... Which is a bit of a joke really, no big deal though as i have a good amount of fans here to instantly replace. And the best part is i do plan to add some watercooling after xmas when the bonus comes in. I think i might even get one of them h50's too at the beginning as they seems to be getting really good reviews.
    The H50 is nice, but nowhere close to a custom setup with 9001 Radiators and ultra pure triple distiled water :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

I wouldn't go with that IFX-14.I have one,it works great and I love it but my god is it the most difficult thing to mount ever,also,getting an 8pin motherboard connector in with the IFX-14 will leave you black and blue (the fins are sharp).

As someone on OCN once said

''Its a bit like a 3 foot member.Its nice to have but not exactly practical.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Hey Anti.

Just thought i would give you my 2 cent,

If you want a cheap rig that overclocks great, You want the X58-UD5 and the Corsair Dom 1600Mhz Ram 6 Gigs max, Stick a 920 D0 stepping in and on water you can push 4.5Ghz all day long.

As for the Ram, you can drop the timings to 7-7-7-20 @ 1600mhz and thats just great.

Its been shown that faster mhz ram dose not give that much to gaming maybe 1 FPS, but its not worth that heat.

And the reason you want 6gb and not more is, Because the memory controller is on the i7 chip its selfs. you wont get a great overclock with more RAM. 6gb is the sweet spot. And that gives you enough to make a RAM Disk and save your SSD also :D

Sorry for the rush reply. just on the way out the door.

If you need any more info let me know.

PS: if you getting water deal with Tom at www.chilledpc.co.uk they are unreal for modding stuff and parts! and cheap :D

Thats where i get all my stuff

Thanks for the replies guys. I could spend a small fortune on the bitspower stuff on chilledpc... must resist....

Blahzer, do you mean a p55-ud5 ? or the x58-ud3r ? as i cant find a x58-ud5 anywhere.

I'm considering dropping the 920 and getting a 860/870 and getting a EVGA p55(Not the classified, thats just madness), purely because the board is completely black.. I know EVGA boards arn't that reliable, christ, ive killed a 680i/780i and a 790i just days after getting them. But i have no trust at all with MSI or Asus, especially the p6t as if i have to see another one of them in work i'm going to cry :(

Ram is really confusing me though, just not sure what to get.

Get a GA-P55A-UD3 and Some Nice Kingston Valuram. ;)

Leman_Russ wrote: »

And a fire extinguisher :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Leman_Russ wrote: »

I lurve mah valueram :D:p

Thanks for the replies guys. I could spend a small fortune on the bitspower stuff on chilledpc... must resist....

Blahzer, do you mean a p55-ud5 ? or the x58-ud3r ? as i cant find a x58-ud5 anywhere.

I'm considering dropping the 920 and getting a 860/870 and getting a EVGA p55(Not the classified, thats just madness), purely because the board is completely black.. I know EVGA boards arn't that reliable, christ, ive killed a 680i/780i and a 790i just days after getting them. But i have no trust at all with MSI or Asus, especially the p6t as if i have to see another one of them in work i'm going to cry :(

Ram is really confusing me though, just not sure what to get.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2958

That the one you mean?

I heard MSI's rep got better but never used one so cant comment.
    Fcuk Asus.
    Dont trust Evga at all. They are so in bed with nVidia they don't even list crossfire compatibility of there motherboards :eek:

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I lurve mah valueram :D:p

Yup. My Valuramz are 1333 CL9, but I have them running super stable at 1200 Cl6 :D

especially the p6t as if i have to see another one of them in work i'm going to cry :(

really? I have one here for 6 months odd and it's been grand, and hear nothing but good about them elsewhere. anything I should be worried about?

Naah its mostly retarded people tryign to run ram in non standard configurations, had a few pin issues too, but once again issue is pebcak. But every time i see oen it breaks my heart a little more ;(

• Advertisement

Naah its mostly retarded people tryign to run ram in non standard configurations, had a few pin issues too, but once again issue is pebcak. But every time i see oen it breaks my heart a little more ;(

lol, fair enough. gonna see a fair bit more of that with the more popular ones alright. you had me worried though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

here you go mate

X58-UD5

its a great mobo, I would take it over the EVGA stuff, And thats saying alot.

If only komplett sold it, i've just spent a night of crazy benching with the EVA classified, and a good few other boards. I'm not a happy bunny :( Oh thanks to polarice for the dice !!

Right, ive decided on the asus maximum Forumla 3 and some corsair dominator GT 1600mhz cl7 ram with a i5 750 for now, will probably throw in the 870 when the price drops down from 500ish. Decided to get 5 Akasa apache fans to replace the ****ty 20cfm fans that corsair supply in the case, and went for the 1KW corsair psu too, just because...

Right, ive decided on the asus maximum Forumla 3 and some corsair dominator GT 1600mhz cl7 ram with a i5 750 for now, will probably throw in the 870 when the price drops down from 500ish. Decided to get 5 Akasa apache fans to replace the ****ty 20cfm fans that corsair supply in the case, and went for the 1KW corsair psu too, just because...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww Asus P55 Mobo? :eek:

Well, at least you didn't get a Antec PSU :pac:

Was originally thinking of same setup only with a 17 860 till I heard about the while Foxconn socket deal. When you get your board can ya post if Asus have switched to a different socket :)

Venom wrote: »
    Was originally thinking of same setup only with a 17 860 till I heard about the while Foxconn socket deal. When you get your board can ya post if Asus have switched to a different socket :)

Asus haven't yet afaik. At least there's no mention they stopped using Foxconn anywhere i read. Think it's only Gigabyte, EVGA and MSI i think are considering it too. The issue is a ver large proportion of all p55 boards were Foxconn*, so even if Asus stopped today you still have a very high probability of getting a foxconn socket as the old stock will still be filtering through the supplier's chains.

But same issue has happened with a few LOTES socket's guys, i'd be wary of the platform entirely if i were planning to overclock at all.

Asus haven't yet afaik. At least there's no mention they stopped using Foxconn anywhere i read. Think it's only Gigabyte, EVGA and MSI i think are considering it too. The issue is a ver large proportion of all p55 boards were Foxconn*, so even if Asus stopped today you still have a very high probability of getting a foxconn socket as the old stock will still be filtering through the supplier's chains.

But same issue has happened with a few LOTES socket's guys, i'd be wary of the platform entirely if i were planning to overclock at all.

Yeah it totally sucks balls :(
    X58 is overkill for my needs but beats having CPU and mobo go boom.
    1156 looking to be the Widows ME of this decade :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Nah, that was Vista :P

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with LGA 1156. People are pumping 9001v into them and complaining they are burning out.

Advertisement