Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paperclip Challenge

• 13-11-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

Is anyone doing this?? I think it's a really cool idea but i don't have the time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

What's that about? - I heard that someone that made some paperclip is coming to CIT or something...confused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

It's the thing about a guy that traded a paperclip for a canoe and that canoe for something else and eventually traded what he had for a house...

I got an email saying do I want to take part in a similar thing, I deleted it was my response...my bartering skills are terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Apologies for the long winded reply but all details below regarding that CIT competition.........

Full details of that competition are in this month's expliCIT
    november2009.jpg
    www.explicit.ie

Heard the story about how one red paperclip became a house? Meet Kyle MacDonald who indeed traded one red paperclip for a house. He started with one red paperclip on July 12 2005 and 14 trades later, on July 12, 2006 he traded with the Town of Kipling Saskatchewan for a house located at 503 Main Street.

How about the story of a student in Dundalk Institute of Technology who managed to trade a paperclip for a canoe! So why not take up the challenge? Enhance your selling techniques, devel- op trading skills and meet new people. Who knows where your paper clip will take you.

Here’s Kyle’s story:
    Meet Kyle MacDonald, the budding entrepreneur who traded one red paperclip for a house. He started with one red paperclip on July 12th 2005 and 14 trades later, on July 12th 2006 he traded with the Town of Kipling Saskatchewan for a house located at 503 Main Street.
    Klye began trading July 12th 2005 and completed his trading on July 12th 2006.

Check out the list of Kyle’s trades below:
    He went to Vancouver and traded the paperclip for a fish-shaped pen. He then traded the pen the same day for a hand-sculpted doorknob from Seattle, Washington, which he nicknamed "Knob-T". He traveled to Amherst, Massachusetts, with a friend to trade the Knob-T for a Coleman camp stove (with fuel). He went to San Clemente, California, and traded the camp stove for a Honda generator, from a U.S. Marine.

On November 16, 2005, having the generator confiscated by the New York City Fire Department in Maspeth, Queens, he managed to trade the gener- ator for an "instant party": an empty keg, an IOU for filling the keg with the beer of the holder's choice, and a neon Budweiser sign.

On December 8 2005 he traded the "instant party" to Quebec comedian and radio personality Michel Barrette for a Ski-doo snowmobile.
    Within a week of that, he traded the snowmobile for a two-person trip to Yahk, British Columbia. The second person on the trip to Yahk traded Kyle a cube van for the privilege. He traded the cube van for a recording con- tract with Metal Works in Toronto. He traded the recording contract to Jody Gnant for a year's rent in Phoenix, Arizona.

On or about May 26 2006 , he traded the one afternoon with Alice Cooper for a KISS motorized snow globe. He then traded the KISS motorized snow globe to Corbin Bernsen for a role in the film Donna on Demand. Finally on July 12th, 2006 he traded the movie role for a two-story farmhouse in Kipling, Saskatchewan.

Paperclip Rules:
    • One paperclip per person.
    • Only the previously received good(s) can be traded
    • No monetary exchanges (with the exception of collector coins).
    • Trade diary must be submitted on the final day (20th November 2009).
    • All exchanges must be ethical, legal & truthful.
    • Anyone found breaking any of the above rules will be disqualified.

How to Apply:
    Fill in application form and then either email to enterprise@cit.ie or drop them into the Development Office (located left of the reception in the Administration Building). Application forms can be found on the CIT web- site or email enterprise@cit.ie and one can be emailed to you.

Prizes:

First Prize: Nintendo Wii
    See expliCIT for full prize list

Sponsored by:
    CIT, ACE Project (Accelerating Campus Entrepreneurship), County & City Enterprise Boards.

Philip,

Is this ACE Project new? - I'd be interested talking to someone about business ideas to someone. Do they offer support with new start ups?

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Philip,

Is this ACE Project new? - I'd be interested talking to someone about business ideas to someone. Do they offer support with new start ups?

I'm not sure to be honest as I received that press release from Nicola Walsh in the Development Office. There are big supports on campus for startup companies, such as the Rubicon http://www.rubiconcentre.ie/ but send them an email or call in for info.

• Advertisement

Yeah, was talking to them before but got snowed under with work so never came back to it. Might give a think over xmas now when time off and see where I go from there. Cheers.

Def give them a shout if thinking of startup. They are expanding all the time and should be able to give you all the support you need in getting off the ground.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

are these the people who would be stuck with the enterprise ireland etc? if so I'm tryin in vain to track down one of them! Where is a good place to hire a hit man in cit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maggiecormac

They are running the same competition in IT Blancharstown and Dundalk IT too. Cool idea!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maggiecormac

As far as i know, it has been running for a year or so. There's a few colleges involved including CIT, IT Blanchardtown, dundalk IT, and NUI Galway.

A friend of mine was at the launch of their new report on Entrepreneurship, apparently they are rolling out a new on-line MSc in Technolgoy Entrepreneurship in spring, which provides statup support for techie idea - like incubation space and access to labs and workshops, that sort of thing. Thinking of doing it myself.. anyone heard anythin' bout this??

• Advertisement
Advertisement