Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots and gear recommendation

Options
  • 13-11-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm off to Finland for a few days with the kids to see 'Lapland' (Rovaniemi) and we're going under our own steam i.e. scheduled planes and trains not a charter. Kids are 9 (boy) and 5 (girl).

I'm looking for some good warm waterproof hiking boots which will see us through the few days at -17c in Rovaniemi and also allow us to use them for the odd walk in the Wicklow Hills. I also would appreciate recommendations for where Ican get good thermal hats, socks and gloves for both myself and the kids.

Given that kids grow out of shoes etc so quickly I'm looking for the best value for money possible in terms of kids gear. I've stopped growing (apart from around the waist) so I'm prepared to invest in something which will do me for many years.

Any hiking gear I've seen online seems very expensive but them I guess it is high performance and not high volume sweatshop stuff.

Can anyone give me some general pointers on how to kit ourselves out correctly for minimum €€€€'s?

I did find these online which look good value but would appreciate some opinions:-

1. http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5002
    2. http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7367

Haven't found much in the way of kid's gear except http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/childrens-clothing/childrens-classic-design-quality-403568.html which look like great value.

Any ideas? I'm terrified in case I have to go to the "North Face" store in Carrikmines and blow the mortgage on their gear as the clothing will end up costing more than the transport and hotel!!!

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Ben
    [/LIST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hiking boots are well and good, but they won't keep the kids feet warm enough from personal experience. This might sound nuts, but hear me out....If I were you I'd plan a stop at somewhere like Prisma en-route to Rovaniemi. This is like a Hypermarket, and they'll definately have plenty of stock in Nokian branded (and other cheaper) wellies. These aren't the kind of wellie you're used to here, these are tough and durable heavy duty rubber boots. Finnish school-kids and farmers alike will wear their Nokians outdoors right through the winter. For budgeting purposes, consider about €50-60 for adults, and about €35 per pair for kids. In terms of keeping warm, go for two pairs of socks inside a lined pair of Nokian or similar and you're good to go. This will allow for much more insulation than you'll have in a boot, and the kids will have the use of them as they grow, at least for longer than normal boots which need to be pretty close fitting from the outset....

The alternative would be to go for proper snow boots, which can be bought for about €50 a pair here if you're not picky about brand. Having spent a few winters visiting Finland I'd go with the wellies myself, unless I knew I'd have a use for snow boots again (which I do). Wellies will always have a use if you're into the outdoors and have children.

In terms of gloves and the like, two pairs each is the way to go. Personally, I prefer a thinner merino wool liner glove with a nice thick mitten over the top. You dont' need to spend silly money on either - Buy online now. Don't waste your time with waterproof gloves, but maybe for the kids a waterproof mitt might stop the hands getting damp if they're mucking about in the snow. I don't know how old the kids are, but if they're still 'Santa' aged, don't forget to pin the mitts to the sleeves of their jackets, or run a bit of elastic cord across the shoulders and down the middle of the sleeves. If you've two kids, buy three pairs or even four pairs of liner gloves....stick the spares in your own pocket/bag when you go out, just in case they're particularly cold or get wet.

Something nice to pick up in Finland will be a hat for each of the kids too. You'll find Lappish style hats all over the place in winter, but Prisma will again serve you well in this regard. You'll find a Prisma or more in most large towns. Where are you travelling to by air? I presume Helsinki as there are no winter flights into Tampere this year. If you manage to get a day in Helsinki, let me know, and I'll find an address or two - Don't forget to say where in HKI you're planning on staying if so. Alternatively large towns like Kuopio and Varkaus will have similar stores and might be along your route depending on how you travel....

While you're there, pick up some pin-on reflectors for the kids and some arm-band reflectors for yourself - It's a legal requirement etc.

For clothing, consider it to be the same as a you'd need for a walk by the seaside here on a particularly cold and blustery winters day. I know it's inside the arctic circle and all that, but it's not quite icicles on your beard cold. It's a dry cold, and that makes a difference. Your kids will want to run about and play a bit I'm sure, so don't overdress them or they'll overheat. Think along the lines of thermal underwear/leggings/long-johns and vests, with lighter weight skiwear for the days outdoors and tracksuits for the indoors bit. You'll probably be surprised at how warm most indoors locations will be - The Finns are well equipped to keep the buildings warm in winter, something like 22/23C or thereabouts...I'm never too sure, but it's always too warm for me! :p

Now, depending on where you are and what size kit you need, I might have a few bits and pieces for your own use. Drop me a PM with your phone number and I'll see if I've anything you can use. Have you been to Finland before? It's a super place, but there's a few things to know that make it easier to deal with the people (who are mostly lovely, but sometimes seem a bit odd!)

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Great advice Gil, much appreciated.

The kids are 9 (boy) and 5 (girl) and I have been to Finland a couple of times but hust on business for a day or two and always to Tampere.

Actually booked this whole trip earlier in the year based on flights I booked to Tampere with Ryanair and then 2 months or so ago got a lovely email from them saying they had decided to stop flying there and I could have my money back. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Managed to rejig the itinerary and am now flying Aer Lingus to Gatwick, EasyJet from Gatwick to Helsinki and then (with just 2 hours to make the connection) VR Trains overnight in a family sleeper cabin from Helsinki to Rovaniemi getting in around 10am next morning I think. I'm sure the kids will love it but we won't have time to follow your excellent advice and get Nokian boots etc in a supermarket in Helsinki unless there is one right by the train station but even then I'm not sure we'll have the time as we'll have to collect our luggage and get from the airport to the train station + collect and pay for our train tickets from the machine (pre booked already) in less than 2 hours total!! I guess we could go to Rovaniemi in trainers etc and then buy the Nokian wellies in Rovaniemi when we get there?

I do recall from my previous visits that although -15c outside I was actually quite warm when walking around with just a jumper and a light jacket and hat on so I'll bear that in mind.

Very much appreciate the offer of gear but I want to get some stuff we can then continue to use for hill walking etc here when we get back.

I know what you mean by the Finns coming across as odd. I've known some Finnish people for years and whreas we (the Irish) love to fill a silent void with meangingless chit chat the Finn's are quite content to sit with you and say nothing. We feel uncomfotable with that and they probably feel uncomfortable with our constant blabbering!!

When you leave terminal 2 at the airport, walk straight out the exit onto the platform where the taxi's and buses are, across one or two lanes and look to the right for the bus stop where the 615 departs for Helsinki centre, assuming it hasn't moved, which it most likely hasn't. The bus leaves every 10-15 minutes, and takes about 30 minutes into the city centre in Helsinki, stopping right outside the train station. There's lots of space for baggage in the centre of the bus, and the likelihood is the bus driver will speak good English too.

For the boots, you don't need to limit yourself to Helsinki shopping, nor to Prisma - I'm just suggesting it as the place I know you'll get them. Nokian is an indigenous brand and as the Finns would put our old Guaranteed Irish scheme to shame, you'll likely find them in most any large department store etc. Failing that, there is a Prisma in Rovaniemi which probably wouldn't be too much of a detour by taxi on the way to your accomodation. In any case, you'll find something I'm sure.

Have a great trip and enjoy the Finnish winter experience - It's great your kids are old enough to have a really special time there too....and while it might upset some to suggest it, don't miss the reindeer meat too at this time of year, as it's a great local food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Gil,

Thanks again for the extra advice re the bus, it's great to have an idea in advance of what to do.

I'll definetly be having some reindeer, don't worry about that!! I'm a meat eater.

Regards,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Gil, you mentioned you spent a few winters in Finland, was this through your job or were you involved in the seasonal tourism up there? Just curious as I am looking to visit there in the few months and I was hoping to stay for a bit.

• Advertisement

Valmont wrote: »
    Gil, you mentioned you spent a few winters in Finland, was this through your job or were you involved in the seasonal tourism up there? Just curious as I am looking to visit there in the few months and I was hoping to stay for a bit.

Neither of the reasons you mention. I have family ties to Finland which has seen me visit there probably close enough to 30 times in the past few years. Unless you have work or something organised there, I'd think long and hard about trying to move to Finland. As much as I love the country and its people, they're not really geared up to encourage or support immigrants, especially if your Finnish isn't up to scratch...especially so outside of Helsinki and the like.

I had figured as much! Oh well. I want to hike the bears ring in the summer so that's still on the cards anyway.

I had figured as much! Oh well. I want to hike the bears ring in the summer so that's still on the cards anyway.

Go in late May or early June unless you like to feed the mozzies.... ;)

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Go in late May or early June unless you like to feed the mozzies.... ;)

What's a mozzie? Is it a bear? I have nine months experience hiking in bear country so I'm more worried about hypothermia or rolling my ankle!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Mozzies are mosquitoes. The most evil, pointless, annoying f*cking creature on this green Earth. Positive proof that God doesn't exists but perhaps Satan does.

• Advertisement

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Mozzies are mosquitoes. The most evil, pointless, annoying f*cking creature on this green Earth. Positive proof that God doesn't exists but perhaps Satan does.

I absolutely agree. I hate those things and I'm glad we don't have a problem here in Ireland. It was so bad at one stage in Alaska during the summer that I literally could not go out hiking because there were so many everywhere. Forget the mosquito net, some of them even found their way down my shirt!

I absolutely agree. I hate those things and I'm glad we don't have a problem here in Ireland. It was so bad at one stage in Alaska during the summer that I literally could not go out hiking because there were so many everywhere. Forget the mosquito net, some of them even found their way down my shirt!

Sounds like Lapland in the summertime....

Advertisement