Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Territorial Taxi Ranks?

• 13-11-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Now, heard a rumor the other day regarding taxi ranks that I don't want to repeat unless anyone has any facts about it, so if you've experienced this or you know it to be just a rumour then let us know but don't be sprouting on any racist rants otherwise this thread will be shut quick smart (on that topic, move it to wherever if it's in the wrong place).

I heard that at some taxi ranks, there's some intimidation towards taxis to move on from other taxi drivers if they don't know them, trying to keep the rank for themselves and their mates. Examples I heard was Irish lads keeping non Irish out and vice versa.

Are taxi ranks becoming territorialised?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

A racist taxi driver? Never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

seen a dog pissing on a taxi rank last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good call on asking in AH, the taxi driver forum of the nation.

Yes, what you've heard is very true, I'm a Dublin taxi driver since 4 years and it has happened to me several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Now Oim nat a racilist but ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Magnus wrote: »

Yes, what you've heard is very true, I'm a Dublin taxi driver since 4 years and it has happened to me several times.

How do you deal with it? If you're in the queue and they start knocking on the window, do you just tell em frick off? I mean what can they really do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Call their mates in the 'RA.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I'm a Dublin taxi driver since 4 years and it has happened to me several times.

Did you have to use a booster seat starting out?

What sort of system did you use for using the peddles? Was it blocks strapped to your feet or was it some sort of shoe on a stick set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I hate taxi drivers. A couple of weeks back a few of them came around my house about 3 in the morning, bundled me into the back of a van drove me up the Dublin mountains, beat me with sticks and left me stranded there with just a mobile phone and one of their business cards. I had to call and get them to pick me up and drive me home. Feckers charged me 50 euro and all cause it was a Bank Holiday.

Still though I'd rather use them again than one of dem fordiner drivers who has a GPS in the car. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Now, heard a rumor the other day regarding taxi ranks that I don't want to repeat unless anyone has any facts about it, so if you've experienced this or you know it to be just a rumour then let us know but don't be sprouting on any racist rants otherwise this thread will be shut quick smart (on that topic, move it to wherever if it's in the wrong place).

I heard that at some taxi ranks, there's some intimidation towards taxis to move on from other taxi drivers if they don't know them, trying to keep the rank for themselves and their mates. Examples I heard was Irish lads keeping non Irish out and vice versa.

Have you not just repeated the rumour without having any facts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

El Weirdo wrote: »

Ah yeah but this is boards and everyone here is just a spambot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

don't care, don't care. fcuk the taxi drivers, every last one of them. i know there must be one or two nice ones out there per thousand, but fcuk them aswell, they're guilty by association. taxi drivers are selfish pricks who think the world owes them a living. they extorted us for years, and because they have to suffer just as much as everybody else due to the country's circumstances they decide it's ok to piss the country off by blocking roads for hours on end. pricks. and then they have the cheek to complain about those drivers with the initiative to get another job to make ends meet. fcuk them all, all the way to hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

As someone who was using taxis five days per week, I did see the taxi drivers networking with each other to get to jobs. They were always keeping in touch and letting each other now when jobs were coming up, flights were delayed etc. They were looking out for each other more than anything else.

Seeing things like this made me applaud their effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

El Weirdo wrote: »

Repeated the rumor yes, but stressed it was a rumour and am looking for clarification on any truth that may be in it to see if I can stop it been a rumour and making it become fact or just a lie.

Unless you can tell me another way to get facts? I mean if I'm not allowed to state a rumour without first getting facts, how am I supposed to get the facts?

It's all a bit of a paradox!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Don't think that's true at all - well mostly coz there's only like two ranks where I am but I do know that potential customers more often than not pass out foreigner drivers in taxis to make sure they get an Irish driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I heard that when a new taxi driver enters the scene, the male lion instinct kicks in and they fight to the death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

This goes on in most major European capitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Interesting, what ranks ?

I have noticed on O'Connell St that they seem to have their own way of rotating the cars in the que. Instead of them all just moving on a space, you see one car driving around another one or even two in the que.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I heard that taxi drivers must joust with the rank leader if they want to park there

I think it's true, me da has a big lance in his boot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

phasers wrote: »
    I heard that taxi drivers must joust with the rank leader if they want to park there

Proof they're finding something to busy themselves with now that customers are down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

genericguy wrote: »
    don't care, don't care. fcuk the taxi drivers, every last one of them. i know there must be one or two nice ones out there per thousand, but fcuk them aswell, they're guilty by association. taxi drivers are selfish pricks who think the world owes them a living. they extorted us for years, and because they have to suffer just as much as everybody else due to the country's circumstances they decide it's ok to piss the country off by blocking roads for hours on end. pricks. and then they have the cheek to complain about those drivers with the initiative to get another job to make ends meet. fcuk them all, all the way to hell.

I heard they were behind 9/11 too, they're out to get us those evil taxi men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CarinaBoy

Really speaking, what does it matter? And why should i care?? Taxi drivers are nearly beating each other to get fares as it is. Has there ever been a situation where you couldnt get a taxi at a designated taxi rank because other drivers felt intimidated by drivers who said the couldnt work a specified rank, that were no where to be seen???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

phasers wrote: »

God, really? I keep my big lance in my trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

He said joust, not jest.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

esel wrote: »
    He said joust, not jest.

Heh heh heh. "He?" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I used to walk up by the rank near the Savoy cinema 4 days a week a small while ago. After a while, during the day at least, Id notice that practically every driver on the rank was white, Irish and had a 1970's fading green tattoo. Coincidence?

Advertisement