Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

belgard motors apply to high court to appoint liquidator

• 13-11-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

reported in the insolvency journal this evening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I had heard a few weeks ago that they applied for administration. I guess it didn't work out...

http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/home_more_details/09-11-13/Provisional_Liquidator_appointed_to_Belgard_Motor_Group.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

vang wrote: »
    reported in the insolvency journal this evening.

[James May]Ah Cock[/James May]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

from fxcentre...

Liquidator appointed to Belgard Motors
    sp.gifFriday, 13th November 2009 04.54pm sp.gifsp.gifsp.gif
    Belgard Motor Group today applied to the High Court for the appointment of a provisional liquidator.
    A statement said that the group has experienced "extremely challenging" trading conditions in recent months as a result of the economic downturn and the severe decline in the motor trade.
    "The Directors of the group and members of its senior management made every effort to restructure the company to secure its viability. However, these efforts were unsuccessful and the Directors were left with no alternative but to apply for the appointment of a Provisional Liquidator," it said.
    Tom Kavanagh of Kavanagh Fennell was appointed Provisional Liquidator to the group.
    sp.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

FCUK!

I have a Golf sitting in their workshops with no clocks in it :mad:

FCUK!

Call them now if they are still open before Lombard reposses everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

R.O.R wrote: »

VW Bank really got here at the wrong time!

R.O.R wrote: »

No joy. More sh1te to deal with on Monday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

FCUK!

And it's gone :D

No joy. More sh1te to deal with on Monday now.

Crap. Thankfully we didn't have anything in there for a change.

Got an A4 on order for 2010 with them, but not worried about that as some one else will pick up the order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jayotala

I worked there for years, sorry to see the place go, thats a lot of good people out of work. Some of my good friends still worked there until now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Put a deposit on a car on Monday....

What's my chances of getting my money back:eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

buzzard wrote: »
    Put a deposit on a car on Monday....

What's my chances of getting my money back:eek::mad:

Bit tough to be honest,you will need to call the liquidator to arrange this!

You did get a receipt for the deposited amount?

Put a deposit of over 2.5k by cheque though the receipt said at the bottom that "Deposit is non refundable". Tongue in cheek or what

Cunnts probably knew what was happening and still took my money. Will call up tomorrow to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heard very strong rumours of this (work around the corner, eat breakfast in the cafe nearest them whenever I'm not out on the road).

On a horribly vindictive personal note - wonder if "their" petrol station is going to stay open? The ATM is damn handy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

That's a very big casualty, if they can fall anyone can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

buzzard wrote: »
    Put a deposit of over 2.5k by cheque though the receipt said at the bottom that "Deposit is non refundable". Tongue in cheek or what

Cunnts probably new what was happening and still took my money. Will call up tomorrow to check it out.

Don't bother calling them, call your bank and cancel the cheque if it hasn't already cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

How does a car seller end up with debts of €70 million? It must have been doing something other than just selling cars (or not as it may have been)

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Don't bother calling them, call your bank and cancel the cheque if it hasn't already cleared.

Cheque hasn't cleared yet but I would expect it to change by Monday. Will let you know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

I bought my first car there, around since 1969..
    Sorry to see it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭seasam

I wonder will anybody take on the Porsche franchise now ?

Does anybody know where these guys are moving to ?
    http://motopoint.ie/M9/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How does a car seller end up with debts of €70 million? It must have been doing something other than just selling cars (or not as it may have been)

Glass palace showroom likely paid for entirely by the bank. Two of them in fact, either side of the Old Belgard Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dooardbhoy

I heard Motopoint they were moving to old Esmondes site in Goatstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Shower of bas7ards. Quoted me €2000.00 for head gasket, sump et al, when all that was wrong was a drop of spilled oil. Their reception area was nicer than most hotels I've stayed in. Sorry for the lads who'll lose their jobs, but the management have had this coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Will Porsche give the franchise to someone else? Not like there's no other VW/Audi/Mazda dealers... but the Porsche one?

Bit on unfinished business with Belgard myself just not of the purchase order variety.

Not nice to hear of people losing jobs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

dooardbhoy wrote: »
    I heard Motopoint they were moving to old Esmondes site in Goatstown.

Ahhh so that's who is moving in there. Drove by there today and there was a few cars and bikes around the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Wow. A family member bought a car from them 2 years ago. Nice show rooms and the young saleslad from Mayo was sound enough. Bit cheeky making customers queue to pay a deposits tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

MYOB wrote: »
    Glass palace showroom likely paid for entirely by the bank. Two of them in fact, either side of the Old Belgard Road.

Because they were insisted on by the marques they were selling...

Where are Merc/VW/Audi now?

Shame on them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Fishtits wrote: »
    Because they were insisted on by the marques they were selling...

Where are Merc/VW/Audi now?

Shame on them all.

I dont get this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

RedorDead wrote: »
    I dont get this?
    Merc/VW/Audi/Bmw all the way down the line have a certain standard of showroom dealers have to meet,They dont meet it they dont get the dealership.Simple.VW/AUDI/Merc forced this spending on every dealer in the country and now their dropping like flies and no Brand has bailed any dealer out yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ishotjd

I'd like to say the following;

To Buzzard,
    Of course it says 'deposit non refundable' on your receipt as you where fully expectant that Belgard motors would order or buy in a car, on your behalf that would have cost them a lot more than the 2.5k you left as a deposit. Secondly I can assure you that the staff member that was responsible for taking your deposit was not aware the company was entering liquidation. Becareful before calling people cu*ts from now on !!

To onearmedbandit,
    If you could read the news reports correctly it's €17 million not €70 million. Unfortunately this was more a case of the VW group putting an end to Belgard Motors, have a read of the numerous articles in todays papers, in which it states Paul Willis head of VW group Ireland, is not prepared to comment on the rescue plan put forward for the dealership, no interest in the job losses aparently!!

To MarkN,
    Good luck with that one, you haven't a hope lad!!

ishotjd wrote: »
    I'd like to say the following;

To Buzzard,
    Of course it says 'deposit non refundable' on your receipt as you where fully expectant that Belgard motors would order or buy in a car, on your behalf that would have cost them a lot more than the 2.5k you left as a deposit. Secondly I can assure you that the staff member that was responsible for taking your deposit was not aware the company was entering liquidation. Becareful before calling people cu*ts from now on !!

To onearmedbandit,
    If you could read the news reports correctly it's €17 million not €70 million. Unfortunately this was more a case of the VW group putting an end to Belgard Motors, have a read of the numerous articles in todays papers, in which it states Paul Willis head of VW group Ireland, is not prepared to comment on the rescue plan put forward for the dealership, no interest in the job losses aparently!!

To MarkN,

It was a tongue in cheek statement considering what has happened and as for calling them the C word it was a stated towards Belgard and not anyone in particular as the guy I dealt with was very good considering the my experiences of some sales people over the last month. I lay the blame with the mgt of Belgard and now that I could be down 2.5k. Tell me how would you feel if you were in the same situation ?? Your not the one that potentially out of pocket so dont lecture me.

BTW : I am sorry for those who lost their jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I was in with another VW/AUDI/Merc dealer a few weeks ago when I was toying with the idea of changing motors, I bought my current car from Belgard and the sales guy told me flat out that Belgard were in trouble and not to bother getting a quote from them.

I put it down to a sales rep talking crap looking for business, but he obviously knew the score!!

I must say, my dealings with Belgard were excellent, over the space of a few months family members bought 4 new cars from them (not cheap ones either) and would have considered buying from them again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Buzzard ring your bank today and get the cheque canceled

MarkN wrote: »
    Will Porsche give the franchise to someone else? Not like there's no other VW/Audi/Mazda dealers... but the Porsche one?

Bit on unfinished business with Belgard myself just not of the purchase order variety.

Not nice to hear of people losing jobs though.

I'd be surprised if any one is brave enough to take on the Porsche franchise tbh. You can count how many new units were sold this year on two hands. Coupled with the expensive warranty jobs that may arise, I certainly wouldnt bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Just heard the new my sister just bought a 2nd hand Golf from them on Wedensday she has not got the log book yet, how do you think she stands, she has the reciept. There is also a car that was traded in.

Do you think she will be ok apart from the warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

ishotjd wrote: »
    To MarkN,

Belgard Motors had insurance during the period in question, all that matters.

Sorry to hear you've lost your job if you're one of the staff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Belgard Motors had insurance during the period in question, all that matters.

If it's an ongoing legal case, you're probably better off not discussing it here...

Sorry to hear you've lost your job if you're one of the staff though.

+1, that's a lot of people to lose their jobs.

As for ishotjd commenting on a company run by JD Murphy? I have the feeling he may be involved alright :p

If so, welcome ishotjd, and sorry for your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

If their service department is anything to go by, they're no great loss to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Belgard Bad Karma

Could be similar to this fable below

<fable snipped. If it's not solid enough to be addressed in non-fable form, it's probably better off not being discussed at all>

Above fable may, or may not reflect what actually happened in Belgard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

What will happen to the stock they have? Will it be auctioned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 car crazy

hi,

well i am one of those who unfortunately lost there jobs so it was a very sad day yesterday...but thanks for the nice comments

volvoman-bit of a silly statement to make you obviously didnt get your way at some point, just hope you dont loose your job at some point! and have someone make an idiotic comment like that...

@ whippet-unfortunately the motor trade in general is experiencing trouble as im sure you have seen on the news...but we honestly didnt know this was going to happen belgard as it was a good company, and we gave 100% to our customers at all times...

@ buzzard-sorry for your prediciment you have every right to be upset, unfortunatelly alot of the staff will be out of pocket in more ways than one believe it or not ...hope you get sorted out tho and any other people who have put a deposit on cars...

as for anyone who has a car in at the moment they will be doing there best to get cars fixed and back to people...i cant make any further comments as i to am usure of what is happeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

car crazy wrote: »
    hi,
    well i am one of those who unfortunately lost there jobs so it was a very sad day yesterday...but thanks for the nice comments
    ...well, I truly am sorry for anyone in your position. BTDT, not nice at all......:(

volvoman-bit of a silly statement to make you obviously didnt get your way at some point, just hope you dont loose your job at some point! and have someone make an idiotic comment like that.........., and we gave 100% to our customers at all times....

......my experience of Belgard, although infrequent, was alos negative I'm afraid. Bit too much condescension all round I found, and both I, and an awful, awful lot of P-car owners truck our cars over to the UK for service instead. You can take from that what you will, ... The mantra of looking after customers was never so true as now, when the novelty of the shiney 09 plate customers became nothing more than.........ethereal. When the shiney stuff dried up, all the other business had already left/passed them by.

Was the failing from the Motor side, or something else (e.g., like Hogan's ) I wonder........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

galwaytt wrote: »
    Was the failing from the Motor side, or something else (e.g., like Hogan's ) I wonder........
    How long would it take a motor dealer in this climate to clear a €17 million debt (I gather this debt is mostly on capital projects and not stock)? 100 years? More?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Father bought a new golf Gti from belgard in 1990'..We never bought anything else of them as they were more expensive then anyone else out there... Nice showrooms, I wandered in many times eyeing up the cars, even the used cars looked brand new! Have heard good and bad about belgard over the years but anyways thats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

volvoman-bit of a silly statement to make you obviously didnt get your way at some point, just hope you dont loose your job at some point! and have someone make an idiotic comment like that...

I'm sorry if you lost your job but if the company was rude to potential customers, are they not entitled to say it?

mondeo wrote: »
    Father bought a new golf Gti from belgard in 1990'..We never bought anything else of them as they were more expensive then anyone else out there... Nice showrooms, I wandered in many times eyeing up the cars, even the used cars looked brand new! Have heard good and bad about belgard over the years but anyways thats that.

I don't understand, they were more expensive, but you bought there anyway? Your 19 year old experience is enough to damn them? What's up, exactly?

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you lost your job but if the company was rude to potential customers, are they not entitled to say it?

Absolutely, if the service was crap, let rip here. It's important that if there's critisim here though, that you have information to back it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

-Chris- wrote: »
    I don't understand, they were more expensive, but you bought there anyway? Your 19 year old experience is enough to damn them? What's up, exactly?

it was the first place we looked at the gti and bought it there and then....afterwards we noticed we paid more then other dealers in around dublin at the time... so what do you do it's too late then. Over the years i've compared their prices to others and they were always more expensive as far as i could see. lovely show rooms though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mondeo wrote: »
    we paid more then other dealers in around dublin at the time... so what do you do it's too late then. Over the years i've compared their prices to others and they were always more expensive as far as i could see. lovely show rooms though....

Guess who's paying for those lovely show rooms and the free coffee ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

MYOB wrote: »
    unkel wrote: »
    Guess who's paying for those lovely show rooms and the free coffee ;)

Whoever bailed out the bank, oh wait thats us...

• Advertisement
Advertisement