Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canadian Driving License

• 13-11-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

I'm currently living and working in Canada. I have my full Irish Licence which only gave me 2 months to drive here. That period is up and I am trying to get my Canadian G (Full) Licence. My Irish Licence has allowed me to skip a year’s probationary period and now that I’ve done a theory test I have my G1 (provisional) licence. I now have to do a driving test.
    Road block!! The Ontario driving testers have gone on strike so I can’t do my test, hence can’t buy or insure a car. This is a big problem as I need the car for work.

UK licences holders can just transfer straight to Canadian licences and away they go. Does anyone know if I can transfer to a UK licence from my full Irish and then move onto the Canadian one? And is there any way I can do it from Canada. I have friends with addresses in England if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

MarkR wrote: »
    Not sure about the validity of this, but they were talking about this on tv3 this morning, saying that seamus brennan was bringing them out...

I was reading this and thought, wha! reintroducing from the other side? and then I saw the date..

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

phutyle wrote: »
    Jaysus, if you're going to dig up an old thread about it, why not the one from last month:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055627060

basically:

There's a plan for new EU wide driver licences (credit card sized) to be issued in all member states in 2012. States have until 2032 to replace all current national licences.

Hmmm smells of federlism to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I moved these posts to a new thread, i think the last thread had a long enough life after 7 years! Let me know if you want the title amended.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    now I look like the plonker for reviving an old thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sorry about the KB, major stepping on toes going on around here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

kbannon wrote: »
    gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    now I look like the plonker for reviving an old thread

Yes, exactly what I was thinking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'm currently living and working in Canada. I have my full Irish Licence which only gave me 2 months to drive here. That period is up and I am trying to get my Canadian G (Full) Licence. My Irish Licence has allowed me to skip a year’s probationary period and now that I’ve done a theory test I have my G1 (provisional) licence. I now have to do a driving test.
    Road block!! The Ontario driving testers have gone on strike so I can’t do my test, hence can’t buy or insure a car. This is a big problem as I need the car for work.

UK licences holders can just transfer straight to Canadian licences and away they go. Does anyone know if I can transfer to a UK licence from my full Irish and then move onto the Canadian one? And is there any way I can do it from Canada. I have friends with addresses in England if that helps.

Ahhh the joys of the Ontario graduated licencing system... I had to do the G1 exit test myself to get a full G licence.

Have you been taking lessons for the G1 exit test? You should really get some lessons as its a much different ball game to the irish driver training & testing system. It will also be very helpful if your planning to stay there for the long term, which i assume you are. Also if you fail the G1 exit test your bumped back to a G2 licence, no second chances.

The G1 licence isn't a provisional licence as such, as your allowed drive with certain restrictions, so i can't see why your not allowed to continue driving on it while waiting for a test date. The G2 licence is their equivalent of a provisional licence. You should also be able to purchase a car with your G1 licence.

Advertisement