Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is nuts - could it happen in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    quote=Malaga2;63013532]The whole thing is lunacy....the real issue here is the power of the State. In the UK (and in Ireland) the rights of the State take precenent over the people...it was never meant to be that way...but you get what you get...

Wasn't it a certain Mr Benjamin Franklin who said." A people get the Govt they most assuredly deserve"?

BTW if anyone wants to read a real horror story of how the UK Met police will try and "fit up " and"Frame" gun owners or dealers.Read Mick Sheppards story on www.micksguns.com.
    I remember this story on SKY[hite].It was the most disgusting pre trial by media ever.Of course not a word of apology from that organisation when he was aquitted either!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Malaga2 wrote: »
    The whole thing is lunacy....the real issue here is the power of the State. In the UK (and in Ireland) the rights of the State take precenent over the people...it was never meant to be that way...but you get what you get...

This is probably the dumbest Police action ever...rather than thanking the guy for bringing it in they arrest and prosecute....thats what you get when the populace becomes sheep...no wonder the provos didnt want to turn in their gear...

In what the hell has the Good Friday Agreement and the subsequent putting beyond use of paramilitary weaponry got to do with the incident discussed ?
    There was never any doubt to what end the Provo's had weaponry in their possession and the reasons why they were put beyond use were the results of political negotiations and a 32-County referendum and as such completely disconnected from a straightforward criminal case in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Malaga2

my comment on the provos was more to do with sarcasm than with the topic being discussed....

Your comment about this being a "straightforward criminal case" puts us light years apart in how we intrerpet this event. There is no criminal case here...there is simple lunacy.:Dstraightforward criminal case in England.
    user_offline.gifreport.gif straightforward criminal case in England.
    user_offline.gifreport.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

The law is there to control us. In theory this control is designed to protect us from ourself.:rolleyes:
    How could one trust a government that allows the retail trade (big business) to sell cigarettes in the same shops that sell sweets to our children! ffs.

Is it not obvious that the only reason the government insists on education is due to the fact that large industry requires it so as to make more money.That why we rarely receive education other than academic education!

Is it any wonder that the education system fail to teach people about their rights, personal health, personal development and the damage of bad living when the government has never taken any real steps to rid is of the scurge of smoking!! Yet they turn around and suggest a tax on salt as it bad for you!!

Now when the Gov funds are running low they will implement a green tax but it will not be used for issues that its intended!!

Will you bend to a government that tell you what you can and cant do when you know that its not done for the benefit of you and your fellow citizens.

I fail to fathom how cigarettes are openly sold in every public location in the whole of Ireland knowing the damage and heartbreak that this brings to Irish families and yet we are not allowed reload because its dangerous ffs it time to fight these ignorant bast****S...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

I can’t go to a pub at night and get drunk. I can’t do anything that would appear on the front page of the paper.

afraid of the press. pity, in real life there not so bad.:(

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/06/27/story105458362.asp

Ahern is a lover of technology and a self-confessed ``gadget freak''. He was one of the first people in Dundalk to install a fax machine and he regularly sends text messages from the Dail chamber. He owns an iPod portable music player and uses his mobile phone to watch Dail debates through an internet portal. Yet, despite the electronic attachments, there is something old-fashioned and traditional about Dermot Ahern. He can be an acerbic Dail performer.
    He once said of Labour's Tommy Broughan: ``The deputy shows his complete ignorance of the telecoms sector, and I say that with all due respect.'' He has also called Labour's Sean Ryan ``a muppet''. In response, Labour leader Pat Rabbitte called him the ``Hercule Poirot of the Fianna Fail party''. Another time, Rabbitte dubbed Ahern the ``bootboy from Dundalk''. While Ahern is far from being a bootboy, party colleagues said he would be crossed at one's peril. Those who have crossed him describe the experience ruefully.``Ruthlessly ambitious and willing to tread on whatever back gets in the way,'' said one. ``A capable politician, but devoid of all vision,'' said another. Ahern may have just found his ideological voice in the past seven days, but he has been building up his machine for many years. Like his namesake, he is slick and affable, potent and deadly. Dermot Ahern by name, Bertie Ahern by nature?

However, Ahern agreed that the world of politics and politicians was all the poorer for the lack of this intrigue and colour. "No amount of golfing and weekend driving made up for that, he said.‘‘ "We are boring now. We’re all boring. I am boring,” he said.‘‘Why? Because I can’t go to a pub at night and get drunk. I can’t do anything that would appear on the front page of the paper. And I accept that. That is the way that we have to be.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This one was a bit marginal with its relevance to Irish sport shooting to begin with, but it has moved firmly into off-topic ranting at this stage.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement