Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard Lube?

Options
  • 13-11-2009 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,241 ✭✭✭✭

You B&U people - I know one of ye has done this. Taken apart and clean a keyboard only to make it useless!

The problem is, I badly need to re-lube this keyboard, and dont know what was originally on the keyboard. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eh... do keyboards need a lubricant? I'd say you just haven't the keys back in place correctly. some are just really really fiddly to put back in (i cleaned my Vostro there recently and it took me about 5 attempts to put back the keys before they were working properly).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I went to clean my keyboard last month...
    After flipping up one key i was so disturbed by what i saw...

I put the key back on, then washed my hands

The nether regions of gooey doom which lurks beneath my keyboard...

Not good:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Effluo wrote: »
    I went to clean my keyboard last month...
    After flipping up one key i was so disturbed by what i saw...

I put the key back on, then washed my hands

The nether regions of gooey doom which lurks beneath my keyboard...

Not good:pac:

Same. I just turned it upside down, screamed and ran off.

Also, this thread title has left me confused and feeling dirty :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,241 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

eh... do keyboards need a lubricant? I'd say you just haven't the keys back in place correctly. some are just really really fiddly to put back in (i cleaned my Vostro there recently and it took me about 5 attempts to put back the keys before they were working properly).
    I have a clone of the same keyboard at work as at Home. The spacebar definitely has a yellowish looking lubricant on it, where the metal-thingies you normally find on spacebars go, that apply even pressure to the spacebar when you press down anywhere on it.

I got my version of the keyboard at a flea market. It was rank. I took it apart piece for piece and cleaned it off. $10 for a wireless keyboard was a steal. And 3 hours of cleaning labor :rolleyes: anyway I cleaned the yellow gunk that time before recalling the use for it.

The one at work presses very smoothly, and glides. The home board grinds and is very difficult to use without applying a lot of force to the keys. Its almost a typewriter. So i must have cleaned off something important!

It may just be something caused by the previous owner but I'd like to know what this yellow goo is - and where I might be able to get more.

Overheal wrote: »
    It may just be something caused by the previous owner but I'd like to know what this yellow goo is - and where I might be able to get more.

ewww....

just make sure whatever you buy doesn't corrode plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

yellow goo sounds like the old reliable vaseline:)

danjo-xx wrote: »
    yellow goo sounds like the old reliable vaseline:)

NO NO NO NO!

petroleum based, could corrode the plastic!

Advertisement