Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IICP

Options
  • 13-11-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm a newbie here so be nice to me!!!
    Just signed up with IICP for Foundation Course in Counselling & Psychology for next April, just wondered if anyone has done this course or any course with IICP. Any advice or help welcome, I am a mature student so a little nervous starting back to college, but it's only one night a week so it's not too bad.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

The Diploma course offered by IICP is accredited by IACP which is one of the main accrediation bodies in Ireland. I would expect that their Foundation course would therefore be sufficient to progress to a Diploma course. Best of luck - it's a long journey i.e. Foundation level to Diploma to Accredited Counsellor but it is 'do-able'

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Thanks Kimberworth,
    Did you do the course? I am hoping to do the degree after this, but one thing first, I am in no hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Hi Totalelf, I have experience with IICP. Firstly there is no need to be nervous going back to college as a mature student. The atmosphere and ethos there is very much adult education focused and it is assumed that most people are considering transitioning from other occupations.

Consequently it is not an academically challenging environment and is well suited for mature students who haven't been in education for some time. When I did their foundation course the class of 18 or so were a good mix demographically.

You will study core counselling skills, person centred therapy, and choice theory / reality therapy, as well as some personal development work. It is a mixture of traditional learning and experiential learning.

I consider it to be a good course. If you wished to read material beforehand then I would recommend Choice Theory by William Glasser and Person Centred Counselling in Action by Mearns and Thorne. But if you are the type who would get bored listening to teaching if you already knew the material then maybe reading the material at the time might be better.

Looking ahead to diploma or degree level you should be aware that they are a reality therapy institute. They do teach an integrative programme with person centred therapy but you may find that you don't wish to have a strong focus on reality therapy. Your foundation cert from there will enable you to apply to any of the other many undergraduate courses for counselling and psychotherapy. So keep your options open and research the others early in the year.

This post gives the web sites of several other options for diplomas, only it excludes places like Northside counselling service which doesn't have a website:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61358160&postcount=2

If you have any other questions maybe pop by the psychology forum here.

Advertisement